The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrik Allvin media availability

Rate this topic

Baratheon

Just now, EddieVedder said:

You dont keep an overpaid player just because hes friends with your best player.  Petey is friends with everyone on the team.  This isnt kindergarten.

Did you see the deal that Gudbranson got because he is best friends with Lil’Johnny Hockey.  Of course you do.
IMHO one of the reasons we got Kuzmenko was the massive deal we worked with the same agent for Mik. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

You dont keep an overpaid player just because hes friends with your best player.  Petey is friends with everyone on the team.  This isnt kindergarten.

Kidergarten is a pretty high bar to set for this org.

Now, stop being logical.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Was that PA or some journo talking? 
I don’t see the Allvin quote there.

What JR said earlier was that they had get quicker.

If that forward also does PK the PK bit is the bonus.

But can you find a quote from either JR or PA that they got Mikh because of PK I surrender. 

Nah,

You believe what you want.

He's fast and good on the PK.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Was that PA or some journo talking? 
I don’t see the Allvin quote there.

What JR said earlier was that they had get quicker.

If that forward also does PK the PK bit is the bonus.

But can you find a quote from either JR or PA that they got Mikh because of PK I surrender. 

Mikheyev and Lazard were in part targeted to help the PK.   From the press release where Allvin highlights him killing penalties:  

"Ilya will provide a lot of value in our middle six," said Allvin. "His versatility and ability to do so many different things will be a huge boost to our group. Solid at both ends of the ice, Ilya's speed is a real difference maker. Not only does he kill penalties, but he also can create offensively as well."  

• Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

My gawd I can't believe the amount of posters that say this stuff. Same with Dahlen back in the day. So true this isn't kindergarten and you don't keep $6.5 million dollar playmates for professional hockey players in the NHL. Like honestly lol.

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Nah,

You believe what you want.

He's fast and good on the PK.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Mikheyev and Lazard were in part targeted to help the PK.   From the press release where Allvin highlights him killing penalties:  

"Ilya will provide a lot of value in our middle six," said Allvin. "His versatility and ability to do so many different things will be a huge boost to our group. Solid at both ends of the ice, Ilya's speed is a real difference maker. Not only does he kill penalties, but he also can create offensively as well."  

I focus on the speed wich is the main thing with Mikh.

If he only were good at PK PA wouldn’t have taken him but he still takes him for the speed as a difference maker offensively.

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Did you see the deal that Gudbranson got because he is best friends with Lil’Johnny Hockey.  Of course you do.
IMHO one of the reasons we got Kuzmenko was the massive deal we worked with the same agent for Mik. 

Yep.

Players have plenty of influences on why they play where they do, besides just money.

Even though Brock is pricey, It might be in the teams best interest to re-sign Petey before doing anything. Maybe he signs for just a touch less if he thinks he gets to be around friends? Which would in a way mitigate the price tag on Brock a bit. 

I'm fine with us keeping Brock for another year (or up to the deadline). He started to look better at the end of last year and I think he genuinely wants to stay in Van. All that plus his trade value would be down right now, so I think moving a guy like Garland (even if not for much) is the better option. 

Brock will either work out and find that scoring touch again (in which case we'll resign him long term or trade for value) or the cap hit will clear off in the short term. 

Mik coming back is also exciting. A little overpaid most likely, but a two way winger, that kills penalties, can score around 20 goals and has speed to spare is alright with me. 

My approach to Brock hasn’t changed. 
We need to move money off the wing. 
He is an expensive winger. 
I don’t give players away for nothing.

If the right deal comes along you move him, if not you don’t. 
He is done in Vancouver in 2 years either way. OEL penalty balloons, Hronek ‘s and EP’s new deals and the boat anchor UFA signing we make this year will all be on the cap and Lekk, Klimovich and Ratu will probably be about ready to start getting minutes.

On 6/21/2023 at 3:52 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I know the reason we signed Mik was to help the penalty kill. But I think they could have looked for a cheaper option.

Sadly the team still should be trying to offload some of our forwards. Even for defensive prospects.

I know I've said this before and it's probably too late now. But the team really should be completely restarted, and get rid of everyone. I don't think the issues with this team will be fixed before Petey looks at a new contract. And I'm not really sure the team is moving ahead enough to be competitive for him.

I actually quite like Mikheyev, but the issue for me was priority. Even before signing Mikheyev the Canucks already had too many middle 6 wingers. Defense was clearly a more pressing issue at the time. The free agency crop of defensemen wasn't fantastic last year, but we could have signed Zadorov instead as an upgrade over Schenn to pair with Hughes (signed a 2x3.75M contract). Or we would have had the cap space to aquire Marino.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I actually quite like Mikheyev, but the issue for me was priority. Even before signing Mikheyev the Canucks already had too many middle 6 wingers. Defense was clearly a more pressing issue at the time. The free agency crop of defensemen wasn't fantastic last year, but we could have signed Zadorov instead as an upgrade over Schenn to pair with Hughes (signed a 2x3.75M contract). Or we would have had the cap space to aquire Marino.

Mikheyev is a bargain for what he brings to the table even at half speed last year.

• There it is 1

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Mikheyev is a bargain for what he brings to the table even at half speed last year.

Still doesn't change the messed up priority. Same as this year, signing a Mikeyhev type winger and no defence would be another bad/questionable move.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Still doesn't change the messed up priority. Same as this year, signing a Mikeyhev type winger and no defence would be another bad/questionable move.

When building out a supporting cast for an elite young core it’s wise to sign and trade for guys when the opportunity comes. Signing a great 200 foot player like Mik was brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When building out a supporting cast for an elite young core it’s wise to sign and trade for guys when the opportunity comes. Signing a great 200 foot player like Mik was brilliant. 

You're right, it really paid off.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It’s why Mik has a four year contract. He’s part of the future success of our club. He’s signed for less than Garland. Just let that sink in. 

That's Benning level dumb though. He signed Garland in much the same fashion. Decent player, decent cap hit. Not what we needed at all and now we're looking to add picks to dump him.

Hopefully that is not the result this time and he pays off moving forward but he did nothing to help our cause last year. He was a completely unnecessary piece which could have been used towards defence. Hopefully his PK is improved via being healthy as that was one of the main selling points.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

That's Benning level dumb though. He signed Garland in much the same fashion. Decent player, decent cap hit. Not what we needed at all and now we're looking to add picks to dump him.

Hopefully that is not the result this time and he pays off moving forward but he did nothing to help our cause last year. He was a completely unnecessary piece which could have been used towards defence. Hopefully his PK is improved via being healthy as that was one of the main selling points.

Mik is a big, fast, smart, elite 200 foot player. Garland is none of those. Mik is part of our future. Great signing. 

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Nope, it was the medias main selling point.

PAs selling point was speed as a difference maker. 
Remember that for future discussions 

• Vintage 1