The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teams will not wear specialty jerseys in warmups next season

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  The NHL caved to the gamblers, which was ridiculous IMO.  Tocchet was ahead of his time really...

Wonder if he got his innovative illegal business enterprise ideas from his buddy Joseph "Skinny Joey" Merlino?

What was that series called that Lee Majors starred in after The Six Million Dollar Man again?

I bet Rick knows. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It might be in poor taste. However, one of the worlds best comedy troops bread and butter, Monty Python, was mocking this subject. They actually helped me growing up realise how it all shouldn't be taken too seriously as it is made up. Not based in anything, at all. Fantasy. Not something to fear, other than some of the followers I suppose. 

I think people need to be open to discussion and try not to be so offended.

For example, I just mentioned this the other day, I have beliefs that are actually based on science. Reality.  I get mocked by many because I am a compassionate vegetarian. As in, even though I think it is a healthier diet, I do it because some animals that people eat are sentient. I don't get offended by the 'mmmm bacon' jokes. It revolts me as I always think it could be 'mmmm toddlers' for the reason that pigs feel, think, and are aware at the level of a 3 years old. Still, I'm part of this society so I wont just shut them down, or cancel their opinions over some jokes. 

I was thinking along these lines but don't know enough on the subject.

https://www.reusethisbag.com/articles/the-truth-about-paper-bags#:~:text=Paper bags generate 70 more,costs more fuel per bag.

Paper bags generate 70 more air pollutants than plastic. They generate 50 times more water pollutants than plastic. It takes 91 percent less energy to recycle a plastic bag than it does a paper bag. Paper bags are very thick, so shipping them costs more fuel per bag.

Belgium and Ireland are doing something about that. Hope Canada considers the same. 

https://labour.ie/news/2023/03/09/ireland-must-follow-belgiums-lead-and-ban-gambling-ads/

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2022/11/15/new-gambling-law-will-ban-all-social-media-advertising/

You think it's only my opinion? I don't think so, read the thread.

Some people watch the warm ups at the Arena. I love seeing the team skate around in different unis. 

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed EP? It is not just my opinion that the league is going to shit. Viewership is down, they have ads all over the unis and helmets, the reffing seems worse than ever, the vitual ads take away from the home experience, the relentless gambling push is turning people off ( as I mentioned globally) and the league even gets chirped by chumps like Dana White. He's not wrong.

You sure I'm just being meodramtic?  come one man.

Well I did have a bad day yesterday, so that could be what's up.  Seriously though, my friend the NHL is not going to shit.  I've been following the NHL since the 1980's, there have been alot of times where I felt the NHL was going to actually shut down it was so bad.  I don't get that impression now.  Players are making more money than ever.  We could have our first NHL player making $20 million per year very soon, within the next 5 years or so.  NHL salaries used to lag other sports big time, that is not the case anymore.

As for the warmups, sure there are a few that like to go to the game and watch the players in the jerseys, but that is the minority and you don't make business decisions based on the minority.  The majority of people don't watch warmups, so they don't really care if the players wear these jerseys or not.  The most important thing is to carry on the theme nights and the selling of the jerseys for profit, which is what they are doing.

People are ragging on the NHL for caving to the pressure, but I don't see any other sports league that wears warmup jerseys, not even the BC Lions, so why should the NHL do it?  It's not like it's standard across the sports industry.  

As for ads on helmets and jerseys, every sports league has them to some degree.  And even if they don't the NHL doesn't have the big tv contracts like the NFL and baseball, so they have to figure out a way to generate more revenue somehow.  

Reffing has been crap ever since I started watching the NHL.  We used to have some really good refs back in the day, unfortunately the talent level is not as high as it used to be.  But I think it's the game evolving and changing that has made the refs look worse.  For example, back in the day they never called the head shots, they never called anything in the playoffs, so you had guys out permanently with injuries and you had some pretty bad playoff hockey with all the hooking and holding.  It was getting ridiculous to be honest.  Is it perfect now?  No, but at least the players are allowed to skate now and not worry about being Scott Stevened every other play.

I don't like the gambling either.  You have my favourite all time player Wayne Gretzky pushing it, which is quite disappointing to me really.  But at the end of the day, it's all about the money.  That's why he was traded in the first place.  So, I can live with it now knowing that it's the money pushing everything now.  Dana White isn't my favourite go to guy, but he and the Italian dudes did turn MMA into a multi billion-dollar brand from almost nothing so you have to give him credit for that.  His face slapping apparently even gets more views on social media than the NHL...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well I did have a bad day yesterday, so that could be what's up.  Seriously though, my friend the NHL is not going to shit.  I've been following the NHL since the 1980's, there have been alot of times where I felt the NHL was going to actually shut down it was so bad.  I don't get that impression now.  Players are making more money than ever.  We could have our first NHL player making $20 million per year very soon, within the next 5 years or so.  NHL salaries used to lag other sports big time, that is not the case anymore.

As for the warmups, sure there are a few that like to go to the game and watch the players in the jerseys, but that is the minority and you don't make business decisions based on the minority.  The majority of people don't watch warmups, so they don't really care if the players wear these jerseys or not.  The most important thing is to carry on the theme nights and the selling of the jerseys for profit, which is what they are doing.

People are ragging on the NHL for caving to the pressure, but I don't see any other sports league that wears warmup jerseys, not even the BC Lions, so why should the NHL do it?  It's not like it's standard across the sports industry.  

As for ads on helmets and jerseys, every sports league has them to some degree.  And even if they don't the NHL doesn't have the big tv contracts like the NFL and baseball, so they have to figure out a way to generate more revenue somehow.  

Reffing has been crap ever since I started watching the NHL.  We used to have some really good refs back in the day, unfortunately the talent level is not as high as it used to be.  But I think it's the game evolving and changing that has made the refs look worse.  For example, back in the day they never called the head shots, they never called anything in the playoffs, so you had guys out permanently with injuries and you had some pretty bad playoff hockey with all the hooking and holding.  It was getting ridiculous to be honest.  Is it perfect now?  No, but at least the players are allowed to skate now and not worry about being Scott Stevened every other play.

I don't like the gambling either.  You have my favourite all time player Wayne Gretzky pushing it, which is quite disappointing to me really.  But at the end of the day, it's all about the money.  That's why he was traded in the first place.  So, I can live with it now knowing that it's the money pushing everything now.  Dana White isn't my favourite go to guy, but he and the Italian dudes did turn MMA into a multi billion-dollar brand from almost nothing so you have to give him credit for that.  His face slapping apparently even gets more views on social media than the NHL...

I don’t take issue with the gambling itself the issue I have is a commercial break with 3-5 gambling ads and coming back to game play with more gambling ads, it’s predatory advertising imo. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As for the warmups, sure there are a few that like to go to the game and watch them in the jerseys, but that is the minority and you don't make business decisions based on the minority.  The majority of people don't watch warmups so they don't really care if the players wear these jerseys or not.  The most important thing is to carry on the theme nights and the selling of the jerseys for profit, which is what they are doing.

People are ragging on the NHL for caving to the pressure, but I don't see any other sports league that wears warmup jerseys, not even the BC Lions, so why should the NHL do it?  It's not like iyt's standard across the sports industry.  

I don't like the gambling either.  You have my favourite all time player Wayne Gretzky pushing it, which is quite disappointing to me really.  But at the end of the day, it's all about the money.  That's why he was traded in the first place.  So, I can live with it now knowing that it's the money pushing everything now.  Dana White isn't my favourite go to guy, but he and the Italian duded did turn MMA into a multi billion-dollar brand from almost nothing so you have to give him credit for that.  His face slapping apparently even gets more views on social media than the NHL...

Remember Dana's faceslapping is only avaiable on Rumble live. His slapping of his wife however can be seen everywhere.

Thanks for the reply EP. I've been watching since 82' too, when I emigrated to this great Country from England. 

I respect and agree with many things you point out but some of those points are what I fear. Losing part of what made hockey so great. NHL seemed to have more integrity than the other major leagues, but not so much anymore.  I hear you about revenue but I hope they are careful. As Dana White-Privilege( yeah thats one of his nicknames) points out...it's a new world... but I hope they dont emulate his approach. I hope they are not chasing short term gain for long term pain. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Wonder if he got his innovative illegal business enterprise ideas from his buddy Joseph "Skinny Joey" Merlino?

What was that series called that Lee Majors starred in after The Six Million Dollar Man again?

I bet Rick knows. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:
Spoiler

The Lions don't do themed warmup jerseys (I dont think the NFL does either), but the Whitecaps and the MLS do.  Hell, the NBA and MLB have full games in themed jerseys.  There is no standard but the trend is obvious - specialty jerseys sell.

Dana White is the reason the UFC rose in popularity and also the reason it's stagnated.  Turns out it's a bad idea to treat your fighters like garbage and only pay them $10K for a fight.  Some of those heartbreaking interviews where the winner gets to put food on the table?  He thought that was a good look for the sport.  The UFC has zero star power and zero fighter autonomy and that's exactly what Dana wants.  Thankfully the NHL doesn't dictate things that harshly with the NHLPA.

21 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

It was warm up which is never broadcast.

Yes, and yet it still managed to become an absolute sideshow when one or two players opted out

This decision by the NHL is all business and makes a lot of sense when you consider that they're not banning the theme nights, just taking the personal opinions of the players out of it. 

All this talk about "backing down" and "cowardice" proves that this was not in fact just a statement that "everyone is welcome in hockey." There's more going on here and the NHL wants to create a little less drama and negative press on their players. It's a good call.

• Cheers 1

Did any player that opted out get punished by their team or the league?

From what I remember there was no consequences to the players that refused other than the court of public opinion.

So, they did have a choice and the freedom to choose or am I remembering wrong?

If I am right, it seems like just some padding and protecting of a minority stance for some daft reason. 

14 hours ago, Tinky-Winky said:

NHL is so pathetic now, what a complete joke ....because a few ppl spew there hatred against showing support for any of these causes , they remove it all ...really hope gary retires soon, dunno if he can be fired but this is a embarrassment too the NHL

Settle down Care Bear, your millennial is poking out.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2