The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In the year 24/25

Rate this topic

Gurn

Taking a look at Capfriendly for the year after this coming season, and imo, the team needs to do a lot of work, this season, in order to survive the following year.

8 players signed.   $38, 403,333 in cap space.

RFA:

Petey                       $9,500,000?

Podkolzin                   2,000,000

Aman                         1,000,000

Studnicka                      800,000

Hronek                       6,000,000?

38,403,333 - 19,300,000  equals  19,103,333  with 13 players signed

Canuck ufa:

Beauvilier   if he stays he will get a bit of a raise, so about  $5 mill- now 14 players signed approx $14,000,000 left

Dakota                                                                                   950,000

Dries                                                                                      825,000        now 16 players signed      $12,225,000 left

Hughes

Hronek

Brisebois are the only D men signed

Still needing  a 3, 4 6, and 7  d man

A back up goalie

a #3 center, and an extra forward.

Cap will probably/likely/maybe rise by $4,500,000

but the year after the team gets hit with an additional cap penalty of about $2,400,000 So team structure need to take this into account.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

The organization would benefit greatly by having one or two players on ELC who can contribute meaningful minutes for a few years while they sort out their financial situation.  Banking on the cap going up is a risky, risky gamble. 

• Vintage 1

The cap going up thing is kind of strange.

Normally yes, it goes up on the regular.

But now there is

a major war going on, messing with large amounts of money, economies, and people

Bankruptcies of broadcast rights holders

Extreme damage to the environment

a not so hidden civil struggle below the 49th

Arizona not getting a new rink anytime soon- though coyotes are not part of the 'money pool' equation.

Calgary bleeding out their better players- not sure how many Calgarians will go to see  a garbage team, loss of league revenue

Winnipeg starting to bleed players, so how much will their attendance drop?

Yes, I am sceptical of large cap raises.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/23/2023 at 10:28 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And yet the proposals and discussions of extensions all assume we're going to be given $100 million team cap limits by 2030 and that the team will spend to the limit every year.  Because, that's what the team's always done, amirite?  :rolleyes:

I think the team should plan ahead assuming the cap will stay at this year's limit, and if there's wriggle room due to a cap raise, great - but don't f**king use it unless abso-f**king-lutely necessary!  Nothing says "chasing a Cup" better than having the cap space before the TDL to acquire the finishing pieces.  You can't do that if you've spent out all your equity and have extended yourself into LTIR so far that the next player down means you have to ice a roster that is short the necessary headcount just to be cap compliant.

Yup, we're constantly taking ourselves out of the equation before we start most years. We just spend to the limit on whatever suits our fancy. Usually defensively inept wingers. Then it's throw the team out there and hope it equals Cup. When it inevitably doesn't we just make up a bunch of excuses and run it back the next year. It is getting tiring doing everything backwards.

• Thanks 1

I always see people talk about weaponizing cap space when we haven't had any since cap became a thing. And looking at future contracts to be renewed, and the youth who are deserving more than 780k to play up a tier in the NHL, our current cap spaces is only 3 or 4 guys that can move up. But we have at least 10 players in the pipeline who could move up.... So there is no "Cap Space" and when the OEL hit goes up in 2 years we are gonna lose skilled players.

We showed EOL the Stick but we got no Carrot to dangle in front of the skilled youth.

On 6/23/2023 at 12:01 PM, Gurn said:

Taking a look at Capfriendly for the year after this coming season, and imo, the team needs to do a lot of work, this season, in order to survive the following year.

8 players signed.   $38, 403,333 in cap space.

RFA:

Petey                       $9,500,000?

Podkolzin                   2,000,000

Aman                         1,000,000

Studnicka                      800,000

Hronek                       6,000,000?

38,403,333 - 19,300,000  equals  19,103,333  with 13 players signed

Canuck ufa:

Beauvilier   if he stays he will get a bit of a raise, so about  $5 mill- now 14 players signed approx $14,000,000 left

Dakota                                                                                   950,000

Dries                                                                                      825,000        now 16 players signed      $12,225,000 left

Hughes

Hronek

Brisebois are the only D men signed

Still needing  a 3, 4 6, and 7  d man

A back up goalie

a #3 center, and an extra forward.

Cap will probably/likely/maybe rise by $4,500,000

but the year after the team gets hit with an additional cap penalty of about $2,400,000 So team structure need to take this into account.

so you are saying Kuzmenko and Mikalev already gone this coming year? Lol I mean your math is missing some steps, check your work.... But its a serious problem in 2-3 years. 

We need to win the cup this year, or bring up some talent from AHL from this year to sell for next year. All this "cap space" is already spent when you look ahead.

18 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

so you are saying Kuzmenko and Mikalev already gone this coming year?

nope, I'm not even saying that for next year either.

those 2 are part of the 8 players that are signed, leaving 

19 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

$38, 403,333 in cap space.

then I deducted the hopeful  amounts that Petey etc will sign for, leaving not much for anything.

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

nope, I'm not even saying that for next year either.

those 2 are part of the 8 players that are signed, leaving 

then I deducted the hopeful  amounts that Petey etc will sign for, leaving not much for anything.

Ok I checked Cap Friendly after and realized you were only mentioning open contracts.... I totally agree with you. When we are trying to renew those contracts you list is the real pinch point, if we dont win the cup this season.

• Cheers 1

I was but a young lad of only12 years old when that Zager and Evan's song came out. Bought the 45 too! I presume some posts in this thread to be of origin to equally older peeps.

I'm of the ilk that the 24/25 season roster will look somewhat different to what it is today. I'm pretty sure management will make some moves once the state of the cap situation is dealt with further. There's bound to be some trades of significance, perhaps UFA's and hopefully a few in house players that make the grade. 

I sure hope, as many in here already mentioned, that management doesn't make any bonehead moves to put us in cap grief again. Not anytime soon anyways.

On 6/23/2023 at 9:04 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

Benning's traded all the draft picks this old team can give

And he ain't put back nothing

What? Seriously? Demko Petey Hughes JT etc.. and what draft picks did Benning have in 2012 onward? MG already traded them away for that depthless, no farm, no picks roster, where did you think more picks were going to come from? Thin air? 

It was enough to keep somewhat of a roster together let alone build another team when your hands are tied with NTC's 

Tell me how that works exactly? Care to tell me what you'd have done in that situation? 

Why would EP re-sign here, we only control him 2 years, demko 3 years, and the scary one is Hughes only 4 years. That’s a small window with a roster not good enough to win now, no farm system, should’ve scorched earth rebuilt by trading everyone and never signing miller. Do it right like Chicago. We’re in no man’s land mediocrity cap hell. 

• RoughGame 1

The plan. Sign Burroughs and another cheap dman and keep the cap space we've got left in our back pocket. Play the young guys (Hirose ward)

Get this team playing the right way so guys like Garland and boeser look good again. 

Continue to try to unload a couple wingers and then weaponize our cap space.

Continue searching for players like the way we got hirose.  

Pick up picks any way we can. ( schenn for a third types) sign bear for example then trade him at the deadline. 

We need to make sacrifices for one more year.

I can't see why someone wouldn't want Myers after his bonus is paid.

We only have future cap issues if we continue to push the limits and aren't patient. 

We have too many players underperforming which I believe is due to a team playing with no structure.....a disorganized mess.  Therefore we will be selling low.

Fix that first. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 8:19 AM, Gurn said:

I took a bit of liberty with that song title, yes I did. :)

On this day in 1969, July 12th, One Hit Wonders Zager and Evans started a six week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'In The Year 2525, (Exordium And Terminus)'. The song was also No.1 in the UK, making them the only one hit wonders ever in both the US and UK singles charts.

:)

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1