The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In the year 24/25

Rate this topic

Gurn

Really depends how a lot of guys perform in their contract years. Beauvillier, Blueger, Myers, Podz, Aman, Joshua, Dries, Studnicka, Pettersson, Hronek, Cole and Irwin and Martin are all in their contract years.

Realistically I think Beauvillier will have a pretty average 15G 30-40P season and we'll be forced into re-signing him (otherwise the Bo trade looks a bit stinky), but ideally we'd flip him at the deadline or now for something/anything.

I think Myers will be gone no matter how he plays.

Podkolzin and Aman and Joshua will earn longer deals, similar in cap hit, nothing crazy high. 

Dries and Studnicka will play as they did last year and be let go.

Blueger is a tricky one, I think he'll play like a 4C thrust into a 3C role, not as good as he needs to be but not bad. We'll probably let him walk in the off-season to get a new, decent 3C in - either via UFA or Raty if he's ready which I'd hope so.

You just know Petey will drop another 100pts and get a massive deal around 11M and rightly so. Hronek will probably have a very tidy 40pt two-way season and earn a big contract, hopefully we can get him with term around 5M but it'll all depend on his final point totals. Irwin will probably be too slow and let go, but I think Cole might be interesting. He's old but is going to surely play with Hughes and look quite good so we may well keep him with a 2 year deal, a bit like how Schenn's career keeps going.

Next season then, we'll have some holes to fill - 3C and a defenceman would be nice (as Cole gets a year older, Myers is gone and Willander isn't ready yet). There is obvious internal competition, but a true top-4 NHL guy would be nice. I don't see us ever moving Garland but Beauvillier as a rental at the deadline might be a bit easier to flip so he may be gone by next year. There are some BIG UFA free agents available next year. Obviously most of them will be traded/signed/both by then, but some big names on the board right now. 

Here's how I'd like to see us lineup next, next year:

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Podkolzin - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - UFA (Roslovic or Reinhart) - Garland

Joshua - Aman - Raty

Hughes - UFA/trade (Pesce) or sadly Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Hirose - If not Cole, a kid (McWard, Johansson, Woo)

Demko

Silovs

Kuzemenko-Petterson-Beauvullier 

Hoglander-Miller-Karlsson

Mikheyev-Raty-Podkolzin

DiGuiseppie-Aman-Joshua

Studnicka

Hughes-Wallinder

Soucy-Hronek

Hirose-Johansson

Woo

Silovs

Demko, Boeser, Garland traded. Silovs could be ready. 

Hopefully Klim is up here by then, and Hogz and Podz should be ready to be be relied on heavily as well.  

The D may need some more experience.  

On 6/27/2023 at 7:14 PM, erkayloomeh said:

The plan. Sign Burroughs and another cheap dman and keep the cap space we've got left in our back pocket. Play the young guys (Hirose ward)

Get this team playing the right way so guys like Garland and boeser look good again. 

Continue to try to unload a couple wingers and then weaponize our cap space.

Continue searching for players like the way we got hirose.  

Pick up picks any way we can. ( schenn for a third types) sign bear for example then trade him at the deadline. 

We need to make sacrifices for one more year.

I can't see why someone wouldn't want Myers after his bonus is paid.

We only have future cap issues if we continue to push the limits and aren't patient. 

We have too many players underperforming which I believe is due to a team playing with no structure.....a disorganized mess.  Therefore we will be selling low.

Fix that first. 

One of the dumbest decisions by this new management group. Its the first time they've made such a bad decision since the Stillman trade.

Also dumb?  Buying out OEL now instead of waiting at least one more season. And the decision to dis Burroughs at the same time has compounded this bad decision, and further complicated the cap issue on the team next season.

Cole is a good addition , but he's 34 years old, and on a one year deal for 3 million.  Then we will have to replace him.  Signing Burroughs to 3.3 for 3 seasons was a steal for San Jose. And would have worked well here as the team could at least be assured of 3 years of cheap but efficient (and physical) 5/6 D position, plays both sides and can stand in when needed as a 4.  This position could have been taken care of, for the coming years when we will be in such a crunch. Nothing wrong with Kyles game. He was trusted with Hughes as stand in by both Boudreau and Tocchet. He was one of our top defensive defensemen, improving every year.  And for that price and term, considering the team's cap position, it was just stupid beyond belief not to re-sign him.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, kilgore said:

One of the dumbest decisions by this new management group. Its the first time they've made such a bad decision since the Stillman trade.

Also dumb?  Buying out OEL now instead of waiting at least one more season. And the decision to dis Burroughs at the same time has compounded this bad decision, and further complicated the cap issue on the team next season.

Cole is a good addition , but he's 34 years old, and on a one year deal for 3 million.  Then we will have to replace him.  Signing Burroughs to 3.3 for 3 seasons was a steal for San Jose. And would have worked well here as the team could at least be assured of 3 years of cheap but efficient (and physical) 5/6 D position, plays both sides and can stand in when needed as a 4.  This position could have been taken care of, for the coming years when we will be in such a crunch. Nothing wrong with Kyles game. He was trusted with Hughes as stand in by both Boudreau and Tocchet. He was one of our top defensive defensemen, improving every year.  And for that price and term, considering the team's cap position, it was just stupid beyond belief not to re-sign him.

Signing Burroughs was a no brainer.  Managnent messed up there.  Expecting pervy journeymam cole at 35 yrs old to be a top 4 is ludicrous.   Two brutal moves right there.

• Cheers 1

On 6/23/2023 at 8:01 AM, Gurn said:

Taking a look at Capfriendly for the year after this coming season, and imo, the team needs to do a lot of work, this season, in order to survive the following year.

8 players signed.   $38, 403,333 in cap space.

RFA:

Petey                       $9,500,000?

Podkolzin                   2,000,000

Aman                         1,000,000

Studnicka                      800,000

Hronek                       6,000,000?

38,403,333 - 19,300,000  equals  19,103,333  with 13 players signed

Canuck ufa:

Beauvilier   if he stays he will get a bit of a raise, so about  $5 mill- now 14 players signed approx $14,000,000 left

Dakota                                                                                   950,000

Dries                                                                                      825,000        now 16 players signed      $12,225,000 left

Hughes

Hronek

Brisebois are the only D men signed

Still needing  a 3, 4 6, and 7  d man

A back up goalie

a #3 center, and an extra forward.

Cap will probably/likely/maybe rise by $4,500,000

but the year after the team gets hit with an additional cap penalty of about $2,400,000 So team structure need to take this into account.

Maybe a cpl of ELC's in the mix will make things a bit easier 

On 6/25/2023 at 5:38 PM, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, we're constantly taking ourselves out of the equation before we start most years. We just spend to the limit on whatever suits our fancy. Usually defensively inept wingers. Then it's throw the team out there and hope it equals Cup. When it inevitably doesn't we just make up a bunch of excuses and run it back the next year. It is getting tiring doing everything backwards.

Until giant holes in the line up get filled, this is what's going to happen.  I have no problem with the moves that Allvin has made.

After the Horvat trade, free cap was used to sign a top 4 RHD, Hronek.  Giant hole filled.

After OEL buyout, no major single piece added but size, grit and depth added to D, Soucy and Cole.  Also a defensive 3C, Bleuger, who is good on the PK and can win face offs.

When they get cap space, it's going to be used.  Would you rather they didn't deal with the D and the PK?  Are these permanent solutions?  We'll see.  But they won't need permanent free cap space of $7M or so until they're cup contenders and want to add at the deadline.  In the meantime, they need to be able to improve the team and still be able to navigate contract renewals.

EP and Hronek are coming up for renewal.  The cap is going up and if they need more space, Myers and Beauvillier are expiring and expendable.

On 7/15/2023 at 1:16 PM, grandmaster said:

I’m more interested in the 2027-2028 season

Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Adult, Male, Man, Helmet, People

Four Canadian teams winning the cup within a six year timeframe? I guess AI still has a long ways to go.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Until giant holes in the line up get filled, this is what's going to happen.  I have no problem with the moves that Allvin has made.

After the Horvat trade, free cap was used to sign a top 4 RHD, Hronek.  Giant hole filled.

After OEL buyout, no major single piece added but size, grit and depth added to D, Soucy and Cole.  Also a defensive 3C, Bleuger, who is good on the PK and can win face offs.

When they get cap space, it's going to be used.  Would you rather they didn't deal with the D and the PK?  Are these permanent solutions?  We'll see.  But they won't need permanent free cap space of $7M or so until they're cup contenders and want to add at the deadline.  In the meantime, they need to be able to improve the team and still be able to navigate contract renewals.

EP and Hronek are coming up for renewal.  The cap is going up and if they need more space, Myers and Beauvillier are expiring and expendable.

Yeah, so far not too bad this year. For the first time in 6 years we actually addressed areas of need instead of the slew of "not bad" wingers. Now the writing is on the wall and we're going for it yet again so those moves as you stated were necessary. As such I'm keeping an open mind and will get on board with the upcoming season. Here's to hoping it works out. It's going to be tight and my belief is that next season when Myers is finally done is when we will actually see the best chance to ice a competitive team.

It depends how they navigate the raises for Petey, and Hronek as well as still finding a top 4 RD to play with Hughes. The OEL buyout, and also the lack of quality wingers in the top 6 and quality in the entire bottom 6 are still obstacles to competing with the cream of the crop. When and if we rebuild I hope the franchise has finally learned some lessons about building the right way and not blowing all the cap and assets before the core is ready.

• Vintage 1

On 6/23/2023 at 8:39 AM, Fanuck said:

The organization would benefit greatly by having one or two players on ELC who can contribute meaningful minutes for a few years while they sort out their financial situation.  Banking on the cap going up is a risky, risky gamble. 

Actually, I'd say technically it will be a retool and yeah the players who have been in the system and newly added ones too should produce some contracts that we don't need to pay full market value for UFA's and cycle some of the youth through to show them off in the bigs to show trade value if we become over stocked and I sure hope so! 

This has been a long time coming if that whole scenario plays out and we just keep picking and developing. 

What a switch that would be! Last time that happened was ummm.. like never! 

Keeping the future instead of selling it out for roster players and no depth, never winning a cup? I'd probably die of shock if I read in the news after watching the cup hoisted and it reads... The drought is OVER!!

Ok in my dreams but... We'll see, not for another cpl of seasons at least but we'll see