The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade Ryan Johansen to Avalanche for Alex Galchenyuk‘s rights

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I really don’t understand why Nashville does this??

Sure get rid of Johansen but to not even get a pick for retaining 50%?? Like aren’t they rebuilding? Where’s the motivation?

Allvin needs to take note. We should essentially be able to get a D man for free from a cash/cap strapped team.

He was a good coach. But one of his first moves as GM looks like incompetence. 

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I really don’t understand why Nashville does this??

Sure get rid of Johansen but to not even get a pick for retaining 50%?? Like aren’t they rebuilding? Where’s the motivation?

Allvin needs to take note. We should essentially be able to get a D man for free from a cash/cap strapped team.

Instead of using our 6 mill in free agency it might be a smarter play to get a good 3C or a 2nd 3rd pairing D from a cap strapped team. Not giving cap back is an asset in its own these days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

No it isn't. He's a 2C. Used to be elite. We have more money tied up in random wingers 

Talking to the people on here saying the Canucks should have picked him up.  He'd be 3C here.

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He was a good coach. But one of his first moves as GM looks like incompetence. 

Much better than a buyout.  Johansen has slowed down and Nashville focused on their future which he wasn't seen part of.  Being able to move 4M without adding a sweetener is a real feat when so many teams are trying to clear cap space.  

1 hour ago, mll said:

Much better than a buyout.  Johansen has slowed down and Nashville focused on their future which he wasn't seen part of.  Being able to move 4M without adding a sweetener is a real feat when so many teams are trying to clear cap space.  

I'd argue that retaining 50% is a poor man's buyout. They should have been able to unload him without retaining. They sold low on him and this is going to make Sakic look like a genius again.

Why do this trade now if you can't give him away for a 7th round pick nothing retained ?

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Talking to the people on here saying the Canucks should have picked him up.  He'd be 3C here.

Really. I didn't know we were so well armed down the middle.

He would have been a very good 3c. Playing less minutes is what he needs. Anyone who pays Ryan Orilleys cap and term is going to wish they had RJ at 4 million/2 instead.

This will look like a bargain when we see what the free agents sign for.

12 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Really. I didn't know we were so well armed down the middle.

He would have been a very good 3c. Playing less minutes is what he needs. Anyone who pays Ryan Orilleys cap and term is going to wish they had RJ at 4 million/2 instead.

This will look like a bargain when we see what the free agents sign for.

RJ would not be putting up any numbers like he did in Nashville if he was playing 3C here.  Heck he was on pace for only 40 points last year playing top 6 centre minutes.  Put him in a checking role playing defensive minutes as a 3C and he would be lucky to put up 30 points.  For $4M AAV, that's not very good value at all.  Not to mention he's not even that great defensively as many people have pointed out.

27 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I'd argue that retaining 50% is a poor man's buyout. They should have been able to unload him without retaining. They sold low on him and this is going to make Sakic look like a genius again.

Why do this trade now if you can't give him away for a 7th round pick nothing retained ?

He has an 8M cap hit.  Which team has that kind of cap space for the next 2 years - let alone to use it on a player that has slowed down and is coming off a foot injury.  The rebuilding teams want assets towards their rebuild to take that kind of deal and even then any has yet to take an 8M contract.  

This is good business for Nashville.  He was a declining player for them and they didn't have to give up a sweetener.  Colorado is taking a risk.  

Nashville in a re-set where they are taking a step back.  The buyout is a cheaper cap hit but over 4 years and they would have dead cap space in year 3 and 4 of the buyout just when they are looking to come out of their re-set.  This is much smarter for them.  

Clearly no other team was willing to take the chance.  Nashville giving him up for nothing because no other team was willing to give up something - teams don't just call up 1 team and pull the trigger without seeing if there's a better deal out there.  4M is a pretty big risk when the cap is set to rise by only 1M.  

Edited by mll

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Instead of using our 6 mill in free agency it might be a smarter play to get a good 3C or a 2nd 3rd pairing D from a cap strapped team. Not giving cap back is an asset in its own these days.

Boston is the target 

has to be 

we get Carlo and take Reilly as the “cap dump” 

18 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Some comments on HF. This one has 20 likes 

I know Johansen has had some ups and downs but what the f***. 50% retention for nothing? I would have given up an actual asset for Johansen at $4m.

As if Nashville didn't talk to all other 31 teams.  Just shows how from the outside it's impossible to capture all aspects that GMs consider before making a trade.  

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, rekker said:

Or maybe a competatant GM holds onto a stud like JT. Tochett, EP, JT are gonna blow the NHL away next year, book it. You could see it brewing to end the year. 

Exactly how I feel as well (think you'll find it wasn't me wanting to trade away JT :P). 

JT is the heart beat of this team.
He reminds me so much of Kesler in that respect. 
Kesler was a different animal to the Sedins, and when it was roll your sleeves up time, Kesler was the go to guy. 

Miller is the same.. For all his faults, he drags the team back into the fight, when the chips are down. We don't have anyone, who comes even close to JT in that respect. A hard hit, a bit of chirping, even dripping the gloves... and all that on top of being almost the top producer in points....

Yes he may be heading slowly towards the twilight of his career, but I can easily see him play at this level 2-3 more seasons. 

And yes, he loves being the go to guy under Tocchet, so unless they find a close to ready franchise player to slot into his position, I don't see a world, where they'll trade him away. 

How long did it take us to find a Kesler replacement? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Exactly how I feel as well (think you'll find it wasn't me wanting to trade away JT :P). 

JT is the heart beat of this team.
He reminds me so much of Kesler in that respect. 
Kesler was a different animal to the Sedins, and when it was roll your sleeves up time, Kesler was the go to guy. 

Miller is the same.. For all his faults, he drags the team back into the fight, when the chips are down. We don't have anyone, who comes even close to JT in that respect. A hard hit, a bit of chirping, even dripping the gloves... and all that on top of being almost the top producer in points....

Yes he may be heading slowly towards the twilight of his career, but I can easily see him play at this level 2-3 more seasons. 

And yes, he loves being the go to guy under Tocchet, so unless they find a close to ready franchise player to slot into his position, I don't see a world, where they'll trade him away. 

How long did it take us to find a Kesler replacement? 

100 percent reminds me of Kesler. JT and EP seem to have a unique bond

where they realize they are opposites, but each one offers up intangibles the other doesn't. And they both hate losing. Tocchet hates losing as well. Come to think of it so do Hughes and Demko. Great core. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, mll said:

Those rumours come about because GMs or others in the know are telling that to the insiders.  Chris Johnston says that in his line of work they are conditioned to triple-check every information before releasing it because no one wants to put out false information.  

Bjorkstrand not really a comparable situation.  He wasn't on the block before free agency.  CBJ unexpectedly landed Gaudreau.  They signed him without having the cap space.  Bjorkstrand was traded 10 days after free agency opened and teams had already made their moves.  Not the same trading someone before free agency when teams are still looking to add to improve their team vs after when teams have already made their moves and used up their cap space.    

Garland is on the block already now when teams have yet to make their moves.  

So by that reasoning, Bjorkstrand should've fetched more if Columbus didn't have their backs against the wall?  

This was Bjorkstrand's 2021-22 season: 

80 games played, 28 goals, 57 points 

When he got traded, he had 4 years left at 5.4 million per year. 

Bjorkstrand is one year older then Garland and that proved to be one of Seattle's better moves as he was great for them in the playoffs.  

17 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

... Are you really trying to argue that Garland would be a playoff player?

Johansen last year dealt with injuries the majority of the year. The year previous he put up 63 points (26 goals) in 79 games. Something Garland will never sniff. He also plays a more premium position, was almost 60% on the faceoff dot in last year. Even with all that, making almost a million dollars less than Garland now at 4 mil per, he only returned a worthless asset in the RFA rights to Gally. 

Anyone whos sees this trade and thinks that somehow Garland has value is batshit insane.

There is a reason he's been sitting on the market for the last year with no movement, and a reason why we ended up buying out OEL. 

Nobody wants him, unless we're paying. He is the definition of a worthless asset. Doesn't matter if he's a good 5on5 player. His value is less than 0.

You are clearly biased against Garland. 

Johansen's a center and has size, but he gets lots of his points on the power play.  The last time that Garland got the same power play opportunity, he also posted 0.8 points per game so the whole idea that he won't sniff 63 points in a season is non-sense. 

I would've taken a chance on RJ for 4 mil/year, but it's a big risk.  His career trajectory is pointing down.