The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flyers trade Tony DeAngelo to Hurricanes

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get it. 

But for Alf to think that Benning is an absolute fool is completely idiotic. 

Gillis inherited a pretty solid team. 

They all have their faults. 

Benning :picard:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Buying him out had nothing to do with JB.  That's all on PA and JR.  They're turning out to be a mess

I wouldn’t say nothing, he brought him in and everyone knew this was going to end bad and in a buyout eventually.

just came sooner than most thought I think.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

As much as their iare good and bad management groups, don’t underestimate how much luck plays into things. 

One hipcheck might've altered the course of Canuck history.  And we (Hamhuis in this case) was the party throwing the hit instead of receiving it.  Or had Rome made that hit *LESS* than a second earlier.

Napoleon Bonaparte was rumored to have said that when asking about another general...not whether he was any good but rather "was he lucky?".

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

Just now, timberz21 said:

I wouldn’t say nothing, he brought him in and everyone knew this was going to end bad and in a buyout eventually.

just came sooner than most thought I think.

I didn't know that and I think he played very well in his first season and then the BB sub imploded in spectacular fashion.  Buying him out was just a horrible, horrible decision.

Tocchet doesn't like OEl, that's why they bought him out

• There it is 1

Just now, stawns said:

I didn't know that and I think he played very well in his first season and then the BB sub imploded in spectacular fashion.  Buying him out was just a horrible, horrible decision.

Tocchet doesn't like OEl, that's why they bought him out

Didn’t know Tocchet was running hockey ops

Just now, stawns said:

He didn't like him in Arizona........you don't think there's a correlation there?

They knew that hiring him , if they didn’t want to buy him out, I don’t think Tocchet forced him.

had nothing to do with Tocchet imo.  

not saying it was a good decision or not. Their just pushing cap space issue forward.  Just saying it was inevitable and Benning might not have pulled the trigger, but left them no choice 

Indont think OEL played « very well » his first year, I think he was OK, but you can’t tell me you were expecting him to play this way for 6 years, hence why the buyout was inevitable, just came earlier.

Anyways it’s done now

• Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

3 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

They knew that hiring him , if they didn’t want to buy him out, I don’t think Tocchet forced him.

had nothing to do with Tocchet imo.  

not saying it was a good decision or not. Their just pushing cap space issue forward.  Just saying it was inevitable and Benning might not have pulled the trigger, but left them no choice 

Indont think OEL played « very well » his first year, I think he was OK, but you can’t tell me you were expecting him to play this way for 6 years, hence why the buyout was inevitable, just came earlier.

Anyways it’s done now

Nope, I think he had a strong first year and probably would have returned to form under an actual defensive system.  

At the very least, had they waited a year, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad of a hit.  

This one is completely on the current regime.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I would argue that our new management isn't that much better.

I think they are definitely better from a pro scouting and recruiting from outside the draft perspective.

Seen nothing that convinces me they are less reckless with cap management or draft capital. 
When it comes to drafting and developing we won’t know for years and like Benning they are handicapping themselves somewhat. 

• elephant 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nope, I think he had a strong first year and probably would have returned to form under an actual defensive system.  

At the very least, had they waited a year, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad of a hit.  

This one is completely on the current regime.

That isn’t lll that true.  The entire length of the contract would have been 7 years not 8 but the way the contract was structured, the lingering years would have had a bigger cap hit. We also would have had another year of uncertainty with him and an impossible cap situation this year for a management group that has been told win now. 
‘There was no good out of the OEL situation since he wouldn’t waive. 
At this point it is what it is. Move on and work around it and try not to get back in it with a retirement contract for a UFA. 

4 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Vintage you're jumping the gun here

Yeah, can we talk to the mods about this Vintage guy? No regard for forum rules. 

LeBrun explains that the league has refused to sign off on the trade.  The CBA says a team has to wait a full year before re-acquiring a player that they've traded when there's a retention.  He could be traded back at full cap but not with Philadelphia retaining 50%.  

Philadelphia and Carolina arguing that he was signed by Philadelphia and not Carolina so that rule shouldn't apply.  Fletcher acquired the rights to DeAngelo but it's him that extended him.  The league might just make them wait till 9 July when a full year has gone by.  

• Upvote 1