The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(SPECULATION) Nux interested in UFA D Matt Dumba

RWJC

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

If only Myers could just keep it simple and be Hughes' body guard and clear the net.. teach him that and resign for 3.5-4 he'd be perfect. 

He's too gangly and awkward and doesn't process the game fast enough or have a good hockey IQ. He should be able to use his size effectively but he's just too slow at processing. He's useless.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

No. Hellebuyck wants big money and it is irresponsible to spend big money on goalie.

Dubois is unlikely to stay.

Hellebuyck needs a team that plays with structure for his style, we haven’t been that as much as Tocchet is trying. This is also why I think the Hellebuyck to NJ rumours are funny, he will struggle with that team’s all out offensive approach. 
I am sure we are getting the better centre for us at our stage in that deal but not sure we are getting the better Goalie and know it is a worse pick. 

NJ had the 9th least amount of goals surrendered and was absolutely dominant for most of the year. They are already adding Hughes and Nemec to an already good defence. I think they would be just fine with Hellebuyck as would his ability to be one of the better goaltenders in the league. They can't afford him though so I don't see that happening.

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

NJ had the 9th least amount of goals surrendered and was absolutely dominant for most of the year. They are already adding Hughes and Nemec to an already good defence. I think they would be just fine with Hellebuyck as would his ability to be one of the better goaltenders in the league. They can't afford him though so I don't see that happening.

Yes, would be a foolish expenditure of caps and assets.  Develop Akira.  With the talent they have it is going to be a dance around the cap for the next decade and not for the depressing reasons we will be doing one.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm from WPG originally, have family there, and my dad mentioned this morning that there is rumour the Jets may be willing to trade Hellebuyck, Dubois and Wheeler. Could be big changes there.

Okay, for fun, a Blockbuster!

to WPG - Demko, Miller and #11

to VAN - Hellebuyck, Dubois and #18

Do you do it?

No.

Hellebuyck wants to go to the usa, he's older than Demko and only signed for this upcoming season and costs more 7.5 salary and cal hit/6.166.

Demko is 7m salary and cap hit of 5m signed for 3 more seasons.

PLD wants to go to Montreal and won't sign long term anywhere else, Miller is still more productive and will cost the same or less as PLD next contract.

pld highest point total is 63, ever.

as a canuck Miller is over a ppg for 299pts in 283?gp

then the canucks drop lower in the draft with the swapping of 1st rounders?

definitely no thank youB)

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Yes, would be a foolish expenditure of caps and assets.  Develop Akira.  With the talent they have it is going to be a dance around the cap for the next decade and not for the depressing reasons we will be doing one.

Yes exactly. You had to remind me lol. :sadno: ;)

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

No.

Hellebuyck wants to go to the usa, he's older than Demko and only signed for this upcoming season and costs more 7.5 salary and cal hit/6.166.

Demko is 7m salary and cap hit of 5m signed for 3 more seasons.

PLD wants to go to Montreal and won't sign long term anywhere else, Miller is still more productive and will cost the same or less as PLD next contract.

pld highest point total is 63, ever.

as a canuck Miller is over a ppg for 299pts in 283?gp

then the canucks drop lower in the draft with the swapping of 1st rounders?

definitely no thank youB)

I think we need to look a little more than just point totals with PLD.

Miller wasn't half the player that PLD has been at any equal ages.  

PLD also is a true C and plays a very hard defensively responsible game.

PLD said in an interview that he would love to play for his home town some day and everyone assumes that means it is the only place he wants to go.  This does not equate to Montreal or bust.  I also understand why someone would want out of Winnipeg.  Have never seen 2 HCs in 2 years crap all over their team and say there is something wrong in the dressing room, that and it is Winnipeg.  

Connor Bedard has spoken more about the Canucks but we don't believe he will pull a Lindros.

Agree on Hellebuyck, he makes no sense for us.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

I think we need to look a little more than just point totals with PLD.

Miller wasn't half the player that PLD has been at any equal ages.  

PLD also is a true C and plays a very hard defensively responsible game.

PLD said in an interview that he would love to play for his home town some day and everyone assumes that means it is the only place he wants to go.  This does not equate to Montreal or bust.  I also understand why someone would want out of Winnipeg.  Have never seen 2 HCs in 2 years crap all over their team and say there is something wrong in the dressing room, that and it is Winnipeg.  

Connor Bedard has spoken more about the Canucks but we don't believe he will pull a Lindros.

Agree on Hellebuyck, he makes no sense for us.

Good points, I just really dislike when pro sports players request trades multiple times in a short period. 

Heatley, PLD etc

I've Said before that there's something rotten in the Jets locker room. it also seems to go back to when Kane & Buff had issues.

who's been there during these issues? Wheeler, Schiefele, Lowry and Hellebuyck. 

Schiefele once claimed to be as good or better than prime Crosby (ha!) and has had on ice temper tantrums worse than Miller. and that poor kid Schiefele oblitered on a wrap around goal against.

Didn't Wheeler refuse to report or request a trade out of Arizona before ever playing for them?

however there is not much on Hellebuyck in the rumour mill.

9 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Fail to see how Dumba is an upgrade over OEL. 

its simple. Dumba’s stats vs the rest of the D on his team.

Playoffs 5v5

CA 121 - 1st

FA 83 - 1st

SA 53 - 1st

GA 3 - 3rd

xGA 4.94 - 1st

SCA 56 - 1st

HDCA 19 - 1st

HDGA 2 - 2nd

MDCA 37 - 1st

LDCA 45 - 2nd
GVA 8 - 1st

oh and regular season?

He was First in every single category and by a fairly concerning amount ontop of the already concerning numbers. Yes thats right I said concerning, because he was first place in the worst bloody way possible.

Dumba sucked the entire year, from first puck drop through til first tee off. If anyone thinks this is a good pick up, they should probably edit their comments, hide off the forums for a bit and wait for time to pass and hope everyone forgets that they thought he was good when this guy was an absolute liability and had all the warning signs leading up to his free agency/potential acquisition.

21 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Until we have a season that isn’t a crap show I’m not expecting new results. 

Yup I'm with you on that, this team has exhausted my patience with the short-sighted moves and impatience over the last half decade. I'm cautiously optimistic we could have a decent year and I'm hoping for the best but my underlying concern is this team won't truly have a shot until they reel in the "go for it" mode every single year. Every time they do it they sell off a little more of the top end quality which makes it impossible to compete with the top teams in the league.

I could see Dumba signing a short term 1 or 2 year deal with us at like 3 million to see if he can rebound his career by playing next to Hughes. Then once the cap rises substantially in 1 or 2 years he can secure the bag again but not with us (if he pans out). Everyone saying he's gonna get another 6x6 or 4.5x5 are out to lunch. 

5 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Good points, I just really dislike when pro sports players request trades multiple times in a short period. 

Heatley, PLD etc

I've Said before that there's something rotten in the Jets locker room. it also seems to go back to when Kane & Buff had issues.

who's been there during these issues? Wheeler, Schiefele, Lowry and Hellebuyck. 

Schiefele once claimed to be as good or better than prime Crosby (ha!) and has had on ice temper tantrums worse than Miller. and that poor kid Schiefele oblitered on a wrap around goal against.

Didn't Wheeler refuse to report or request a trade out of Arizona before ever playing for them?

however there is not much on Hellebuyck in the rumour mill.

My take on the locker room problem in Winnipeg is a loyalty issue. Ironically byfuglien was more loyal to the jets but being an American (Minnesota) than Kane being the Canadian and showing no professionalism or loyalty.  But buff being the more mature of the 2. And having a ring as well. Wheeler has shown loyalty as well. I think the divide has always been loyalty because there’s always been an element of disgruntledness of certain players not wanting to be there against loyal players abiding their contract. I might be wrong. ? 

10 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

its simple. Dumba’s stats vs the rest of the D on his team.

Playoffs 5v5

CA 121 - 1st

FA 83 - 1st

SA 53 - 1st

GA 3 - 3rd

xGA 4.94 - 1st

SCA 56 - 1st

HDCA 19 - 1st

HDGA 2 - 2nd

MDCA 37 - 1st

LDCA 45 - 2nd
GVA 8 - 1st

oh and regular season?

He was First in every single category and by a fairly concerning amount ontop of the already concerning numbers. Yes thats right I said concerning, because he was first place in the worst bloody way possible.

Dumba sucked the entire year, from first puck drop through til first tee off. If anyone thinks this is a good pick up, they should probably edit their comments, hide off the forums for a bit and wait for time to pass and hope everyone forgets that they thought he was good when this guy was an absolute liability and had all the warning signs leading up to his free agency/potential acquisition.

Next thing you'll be telling us how OEL Myers is an elite shut down unit. :frantic: Easy ... I'm just joking ... please don't put us through that again. :P

Just now, Outsiders said:

I could see Dumba signing a short term 1 or 2 year deal with us at like 3 million to see if he can rebound his career by playing next to Hughes. Then once the cap rises substantially in 1 or 2 years he can secure the bag again but not with us (if he pans out). Everyone saying he's gonna get another 6x6 or 4.5x5 are out to lunch. 

If that type of deal is an option for Dumba, I’d certainly consider it.

I think his career analytics chart is terrifying and should ring serious “buyer beware” alarm bells, if we’re looking at a typical UFA signing for a 28 year old, RH shot defenceman who’s averaged around 22-23 minutes per game for the last six seasons and is coming off a $6M AAV. Generally, that’s a setup for a long-term deal with a high salary. And given Dumba’s career trend lines, and age curves in general, that’s the type of deal that probably goes bad very quickly and inevitably leads to a cap dump (requiring “sweetener” assets spent) or buyout.

But short-term and at a significantly reduced salary?

That’s a whole other animal and I’d actually have a fair amount of time for the idea of bringing in Dumba under those conditions.

Not sure that’s the current market for this player, however.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

He's too gangly and awkward and doesn't process the game fast enough or have a good hockey IQ. He should be able to use his size effectively but he's just too slow at processing. He's useless.

I could barely type that with a straight face lmao

• Haha 1

So the more i think about it

the more i actually dont think it makes sense (assuming we're keeping Myers the whole year)

Hronek

Myers

Dumba

Heh

We need someone good defensively on the right side. Proper shutdown defenseman to balance out the rest of it. Honestly just bring back Schenn and splurge on the left side

Hughes-Schenn

Graves-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Now thats a lineup thats tall enough to ride the wooden rollercoaster at the PNE

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1