The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers not bringing back Kostin

That’s…odd? Seemed like a good fit there.

Guess they were worried about a tough arbitration award due to that crazy couple of weeks where he put up big numbers. So thought they were better if not qualifying?

28 minutes ago, D-Money said:

That’s…odd? Seemed like a good fit there.

Guess they were worried about a tough arbitration award due to that crazy couple of weeks where he put up big numbers. So thought they were better if not qualifying?

I have been mentioning for months that there are likely going to be a lot of decent RFAs available.

Cap is so tight that arb awards, or even the threat of them can throw a monkey wrench into summer plans.

Kostin isn’t a game breaker, but still upside to be a really solid middle six forward.  He will get a contract.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

If we could get Kostin and Andreas Englund those are two players I would like to add for toughness 

Kostin 24- 6'3 - 210 - This player has skill was unreal at U18 and  WJC 20 drafted 31st.

Really like his toughness and willing to protect teammates .. I think he would fit great in Vancouver..

Sure hope Allvin can work something up..We talk about buying a player at a low.,,

• Like 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Rumour] Oilers not bringing back Kostin
Just now, wildcam said:

Kostin 24- 6'3 - 210 - This player has skill was unreal at U18 and  WJC 20 drafted 31st.

Really like his toughness and willing to protect teammates .. I think he would fit great in Vancouver..

Sure hope Allvin can work something up..We talk about buying a player at a low.,,

Kostin 6'3 - 210 lbs -- Aman 6'1 -- Joshua 6'3 -205   now two big tough wingers play with a edge...

Lets make trade for Kostin trade the 5th..Oilers are talking buyout...

20 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Kostin 6'3 - 210 lbs -- Aman 6'1 -- Joshua 6'3 -205   now two big tough wingers play with a edge...

He is a pending RFA who isn’t likely going to be qualified.  He will be a UFA, so no need to take on the worry about an arb award.  Just go after him July 1st and use the Russian connections and opportunity to sway him.

The question is will he be worth the $1.5 million it would likely cost to sign him… that is the reason he is on his way out of Edmonton.

24 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Kostin is an RFA. There is no contract to buyout

1 hour ago, Provost said:

The question is will he be worth the $1.5 million it would likely cost to sign him… that is the reason he is on his way out of Edmonton.

I would absolutely sign him if that was the ask. No question. How the Oilers are gonna let him walk is beyond me when his improvement has been steady and he's a bigger body.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I would absolutely sign him if that was the ask. No question. How the Oilers are gonna let him walk is beyond me when his improvement has been steady and he's a bigger body.

Yeah, $1.5M is definitely worth it, if that’s indeed the price.

I’m wondering if he’s seeking more? Holland was recently quoted saying they’re “quite a ways apart” in negotiations. And he seemed to suggest it was more about the salary than the term. 

But 10 goals and 150+ hits while playing roughly 10 minutes a game (and just 57 games) is impressive. And his 6.7 GAR and 4.9 xGAR are really solid underlying numbers, especially given the limited TOI. Kostin brings a tantalizing combination of size, strength, speed, grit, and natural talent, and at just 24 years old, he probably still has some development runway remaining to hone and improve his game. But even if he’s just able to repeat and maintain his performance from last season (although I might expect some regression in shooting percentage), he’d be a nice piece to have in any lineup.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Provost said:

He is a pending RFA who isn’t likely going to be qualified.  He will be a UFA, so no need to take on the worry about an arb award.  Just go after him July 1st and use the Russian connections and opportunity to sway him.

He’s definitely worth $1.5M. Oilers would sign him to that tomorrow if that’s all it took.

Problem is, his arb award could be more than that. Based on his numbers, he could get over $2M, maybe even close to $2.5M. And Oilers would have no choice but to match at those numbers, if they qualified him.

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

He’s definitely worth $1.5M. Oilers would sign him to that tomorrow if that’s all it took.

Problem is, his arb award could be more than that. Based on his numbers, he could get over $2M, maybe even close to $2.5M. And Oilers would have no choice but to match at those numbers, if they qualified him.

It is true about the arb thing and I have been harping on that for why we needed to leave cap space open.  There will likely be a lot of solid players who won’t be qualified due to worries about the cap and arb awards they aren’t allowed to walk away from.

In Edmonton’s case, they can’t afford him at $1.5, and that is a perfectly reasonable deal and has been bandied about in Edmonton as what it would take (3x$1.5).  As a UFA he can probably make more, but he is still a 4th liner and most teams are still broke.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/yamamoto-kostin-on-the-way-out-as-oilers-holland-looks-to-build-cup-winning-team/sn-amp/

• Upvote 1

The flip side of this is, Edmonton probably expected more out of him against Vegas. But he was really ineffective that whole series. To the point where he was benched most of games 5 and 6. So I could see that leaving them questioning if he is worth committing to.

12 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The flip side of this is, Edmonton probably expected more out of him against Vegas. But he was really ineffective that whole series. To the point where he was benched most of games 5 and 6. So I could see that leaving them questioning if he is worth committing to.

I didn’t watch much of that series so this is interesting to hear. We’ve obviously got a wealth of wingers and so I’m a bit hesitant to signing more without moving some of the older guard (especially with Pearson potentially returning).

This points to some thoughts I’ve had lately around the importance of embedding grit and toughness in the whole team. You can’t have one or two “tough” guys and expect them to carry the team through the playoffs. You need a culture of toughness built on trust and support. Players support each other and guys know their line mates have their back. For Edmonton, Kostin alone can’t watch everyone’s back, especially if he knows there’s not a couple guys behind him watching his back.

Vegas’ whole team is big and plays a solid game, lots of grit and snarl throughout their lineup. They don’t have one guy who has to do it all.

Team toughness is significantly more important than individual toughness. 

So, all this to say, we need to build our teams camaraderie and sense of team, while also adding in some bigger knock-your-brains-out type players