The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Reilly Smith to Penguins for 2024 3rd-round pick

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

Well they were way over in the first place 

They aren't over the cap.  CapFriendly has them with 8.5M with a roster 20 before even trading Smith - assuming Lehner remains on LTIR.  They also want to extend Hill - apparently in the 5M range has been discussed.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

They aren't over the cap.  CapFriendly has them with 8.5M with a roster 20 before even trading Smith - assuming Lehner remains on LTIR.  They also want to extend Hill - apparently in the 5M range has been discussed.  

I see that now yes. They were I suppose in season 

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Golden Knights trade Reilly Smith to Penguins for 2024 3rd-round pick

Ouch, wins a cup and gets tossed. I know he's old and has a 5M cap hit but he just dropped 26G and 50+ points.

I guess Pittsburgh won't be too interested in any of our wingers anymore sadly either.

Makes you wonder what Beauvillier and Garland are worth - similar (slightly lower) cap hits but also obviously a fair bit less offensive production, but a lot, lot younger. Surely that evens out to a 3rd round pick coming back?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

I see that now yes. They were I suppose in season 

Not even.  Every move is registered with Central Registry and they double check that each team are always cap compliant otherwise they don't authorise the move.

Vegas added less at the TDL for the playoffs than some other teams that banked cap space.  

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Ouch, wins a cup and gets tossed. I know he's old and has a 5M cap hit but he just dropped 26G and 50+ points.

I guess Pittsburgh won't be too interested in any of our wingers anymore sadly either.

Makes you wonder what Beauvillier and Garland are worth - similar (slightly lower) cap hits but also obviously a fair bit less offensive production, but a lot, lot younger. Surely that evens out to a 3rd round pick coming back?

Still nothing.

It's why they haven't been moved.

If somebody was offering a 3rd round pick, they would be gone, and OEL probably still be on the roster.

The buyout wasn't going to be approved if there were other options, especially ones that returned assets.

People are insane if they still think Garland or Beau have ANY value.

Taylor Hall just went for nothing. Taylor f**king Hall. 

Kevin Hayes at 50% retained went for a 6th rounder.

It's mind boggling that we still have people talking about Garland like he is a f**king asset at this point.

• elephant 1

2 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Still nothing.

If somebody was offering a 3rd round pick, they would be gone, and OEL probably still be on the roster.

The buyout wasn't going to be approved if there were other options, especially ones that returned assets.

It's mind boggling that we still have people talking about Garland like he is a f**king asset at this point.

If that's the case (and I do believe you), then how much does it cost to move these guys? Surely a 3rd or 4th rounder would be enough to move Garland, and we have a boat-load of them. 

I honestly would have rather done that than the OEL buyout first and see how OEL goes next year with new coaches, but maybe even that wasn't enough? Watching Hayes and Hall going for nothing means that yeah, I think we'd have to pay to move Garland, but surely nothing more than a mid round pick? If it was a 2nd or higher then of course - no chance, but he's not that bad...

Now we've bought out OEL though we have the cap space to leave these expensive wingers on our team but if there's any way we can move them or swap them for another floating player on another team (for a change of scenery, or better yet, position), then we should try.

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

If that's the case (and I do believe you), then how much does it cost to move these guys? Surely a 3rd or 4th rounder would be enough to move Garland, and we have a boat-load of them. 

I honestly would have rather done that than the OEL buyout first and see how OEL goes next year with new coaches, but maybe even that wasn't enough? Watching Hayes and Hall going for nothing means that yeah, I think we'd have to pay to move Garland, but surely nothing more than a mid round pick? If it was a 2nd or higher then of course - no chance, but he's not that bad...

Now we've bought out OEL though we have the cap space to leave these expensive wingers on our team but if there's any way we can move them or swap them for another floating player on another team (for a change of scenery, or better yet, position), then we should try.

Well let's remember it cost us a 2nd round pick just to move on from Jason Dickinson and his 2.5ish contract.

I'm guess it costs at least that or more to move Garland, even with Garland being a competent player, more-so than Dickinson. 

Would have been my preference too to keep OEL one more year, and watch for a rebound. Burns two years off his buyout just by waiting the extra year. Realistically given our division, we're not a playoff team next year. Edmonton, Vegas, and LA are all way too far ahead of us right now.

I think the issue like you said is there there are way too many quality players out there for nothing. 

2 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Still nothing.

I would argue that Garland still has value to us in that he can play in whatever capacity is asked of him, up or down.

He’s potentially top 6 on a bottom feeder, but definitely a utility player. He would be a nice fit with a club like CHI.
His price point is higher than what he provides (or is given enough consistency in a regular placement to provide) but perhaps he earns that elsewhere.

Boeser is unfortunately one dimensional and everyone league wide understands that. It’s messed up, given his point totals, that’s he’s considered a liability but his cost for range justifies that title. 

We have to pay to lose these guys unless we can incorporate them into some kind of need for need trade that simply works for respective position. 

Eg. Boeser + pick for overpriced 3C or Dman + pick).

I think that’s still possible with what might shake out this offseason.