The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ty Mueller | C

https://nhlentrydraft.com/players/ty-mueller/

One of the go-to players on his team, he’s a steadfast and dependable forward. While he lacks a dynamic edge to his skating that allows him to explode into the space provided, his skating is built from a smooth and deceptive stride. Utilizes linear crosses and route variations to an extent. Gets caught up in being a straight-line skate with average edge work. Really struggles to generate high-end separation speed. A lot of his chances end up being off his passes to high danger areas or net drives off the wing. His best talent is his vision and playmaking talent. Incredibly creative with his passes to his teammates. Able to filter passes through bodies and has very quick hands. Baits pressure to himself before slipping a quick pass through the feet of a defender. Shot shows some quickness and he can target well off weight shifts and from different release points even though he doesn’t show the ability to find his spots. Not overly combative off puck. An efficient defensive forward, using his stick to create turnovers or recover loose pucks with good positioning and timely stick checks. Wonderful at staying above pucks and remains a details-oriented playmaker. Not a purely offensive-minded player. That said, he’s more subtle in his effectiveness. It lies hidden under a calm and measured on-ice demeanour.

From HFBoards a couple months ago:

https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/f-ty-mueller-university-of-nebraska-omaha-ncaa-2023-105th-van.2919826/

Mueller has had a strong sophomore season in the NCAA posting 25 points in 31 games, which ranks #20 among u20 players in the NCAA. Mueller has been a real dynamic presence for UNO, he's a deft and accurate passer, and good at creating plays on the move. His first-step acceleration catches defensemen off guard and he's always a threat for steals and turnovers.

Mueller played his COVID-shortened draft year in the AJHL in 2020/21 with 15 games played. Jumped straight to the NCCA last year and this year he's been the top center for the surprising University of Nebraska-Omaha team, including a Hobey Baker nomination on the early long list.

Currently he's injured and his team is right on the edge of the NCAA tournament picture, so he might have played his last game of the season already. I think he could get taken surprisingly high but I would expect him off the board by the end of the 4th round.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

This smells like a Scott Young (Vancouver’s director of player personnel and resident NCAA guru) pick.

(And that’s a good smell btw. ;))

I was a little surprised initially to see an overager/reentry like Mueller go this early, but sounds like the Canucks probably weren’t the only team looking at him in the fourth round.

Definitely have no issues with them targeting and drafting this player. Reentries do tend to go in the later rounds but it sounds like Mueller was on the radar for a few teams in the fourth round and the Canucks needed to step up at #105 or else they’d likely miss their chance.

Canucks Twitter, of course, is going to call it a “wasted pick” (tons of tweets already saying this), but this could actually prove to be a very good decision for Vancouver. Mueller has a pretty good chance to become an NHL player, and I’m a big believer in Scott Young’s ability to spot talent in the college ranks.

JD Burke, surprisingly, has a very fair take:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Could they have pick him up as a undrafted free agent a la Tanev?

Potentially but that would've taken up a contract slot, and you would be potentially competitive with other teams.

Managing a prospect pool is also about managing contracts and signing rights 

1 minute ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Could they have pick him up as a undrafted free agent a la Tanev?

If he’d gone undrafted, yes, but sounds like there was interest and he’d have gotten drafted by somebody else, if not Vancouver.

Reentries almost never make it onto the public rankings lists, but that doesn’t mean these players don’t feature on NHL teams’ internal lists.

I wouldn’t be surprised if several teams had Mueller targeted for the 4th round, despite him being “unranked.”

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I dunno.  Mueller looks like Gaudette light.  he would have been a free signing as of July 1st.

I am far from in love with this pick and Perkins but they're our property now I guess so let's hope they learnt o eat a sammich and we learn how to develop the youth properly.

• Cheers 1

Unusual pick. You don't often see 20 year olds drafted. The Canucks are obviously trying to build a bit of depth at the C position but are still among the weakest teams in the NHL in terms of depth in the C prospect pool. Wonder if the Canucks talked to him about playing in Abby next year, but i guess he probably goes back  to the NCAA.

Interestingly, he is from Alberta.

Keeping on open mind on this one.

I

1 minute ago, Bounce000 said:

Hey guys,

The scouting staff know more than you

That’s all

I have confidence in the current Canuck management. But teams can screw up on draft day, like when the Canucks picked Juolevi ahead of Tkachuk even though pretty every draft board had Tkachuk ahead. Juolevi wasn't even the best draft-eligible D in the OHL, as as Sergavhev was voted OHL D of the year that year.   A lot of people on CDC complained and they were right. But Benning had a good gut feeling about Juolevi from seeing him in the world juniors.  Who can argue with that?

• There it is 2

Dont like the pick at all seems like the kinda guy that can be picked up in the college free agent bin like Sasson. There were some high ceiling 18 year old's still on the board. These picks still scream lack of patience by management. 

Guys like:

Hoyt Stanley

Jaden Lipinski

Jesse Nurmi

Luca Pinelli

Alex Ciernik

Luca Cagnoni

Aram Minnetian

Cameron Allen

Carter Sotheran

Tons of first time eligible options with higher ceilings and few more solid RD's (can never have too much)

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

I

I have confidence in the current Canuck management. But teams can screw up on draft day, like when the Canucks picked Juolevi ahead of Tkachuk even though pretty every draft board had Tkachuk ahead. Juolevi wasn't even the best draft-eligible D in the OHL, as as Sergavhev was voted OHL D of the year that year.   A lot of people on CDC complained and they were right. But Benning had a good gut feeling about Juolevi from seeing him in the world juniors.  Who can argue with that?

He was more of a bad luck pick I don’t know how many times others have said this if healthy he would’ve been a good pick but injuries derailed his development.

5 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Listening to 650 interviewing our scouting staff, who confirmed Mueller is seen as a potential 3C

Canucks tweet has him listed as a LW, if he is not a true center in college I doubt he becomes an undersided 3C in the NHL. I dont buy it a smaller left shot player is not an ideal 3C for this team. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

12 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Canucks tweet has him listed as a LW, if he is not a true center in college I doubt he becomes an undersided 3C in the NHL. I dont buy it a smaller left shot player is not an ideal 3C for this team. 

As a 4th round pick, I think you’re looking 4-5 years out for NHL readiness. No one is looking at him for this season….

interesting that we used a 4th round pick on a player who was TWICE passed in the NHL draft, we haven't had success doing this in the passed with Tryamkin, Mallet come to mind but a twice passed over guy seems more like a FA signing vs using a draft pick.

Let's hope this wildcard selection develops into something for us! Best of luck to him but have to think multiple vancover media people are going to trash using a 4th on this guy given his age and being passed over TWICE before...but maybe I am wrong and they will love the pick!?