The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ty Mueller | C

24 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Dont like the pick at all seems like the kinda guy that can be picked up in the college free agent bin like Sasson. There were some high ceiling 18 year old's still on the board. These picks still scream lack of patience by management. 

Guys like:

Hoyt Stanley

Jaden Lipinski

Jesse Nurmi

Luca Pinelli

Alex Ciernik

Luca Cagnoni

Aram Minnetian

Cameron Allen

Carter Sotheran

Tons of first time eligible options with higher ceilings and few more solid RD's (can never have too much)

Like if it was a shot at an unranked guy with his write up in his first year of draft eligibility I’d get it. But already passed over twice and projected as a 3rd line center. Would have rather taken a guy with a higher ceiling. Bottom 6 players are easier to find than top 6 players so don’t draft a guy thinking he can maybe play 3rd line for you. Draft a guy you see has potential for a higher ceiling and if he doesn’t reach it maybe he’s at least the bottom 6 type.

15 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Like if it was a shot at an unranked guy with his write up in his first year of draft eligibility I’d get it. But already passed over twice and projected as a 3rd line center. Would have rather taken a guy with a higher ceiling. Bottom 6 players are easier to find than top 6 players so don’t draft a guy thinking he can maybe play 3rd line for you. Draft a guy you see has potential for a higher ceiling and if he doesn’t reach it maybe he’s at least the bottom 6 type.

So you're saying you don't get it.

3 hours ago, aqua59 said:

So you're saying you don't get it.

It seems like a flawed way of drafting. To take a guy with 3rd line potential because if he doesn’t meet expectations he’s an AHLer. So if you draft a guy with a bit more skill who could have top 6 potential and if he doesn’t meet expectations he might still give you NHL value as a bottom 6 forward or bottom pairing dman.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Canucks must really see something in this kid to draft him as an over ager. Probably see him as a future reliable and good 3rd or 4th line center.

Yeah, not something that happens too often when you might be able to wait and get him as a free agent and not risk this being a bump in his trajectory, but who knows.

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I am going to be first (I believe) to ask question. 20 years old, he has already played 2 years NCAA.

He can declare UFA in 2 more years after his senior year, can he not?

Yeah, they will have two years of draft rights. Mueller would need to be signed before August 15th, 2025, or he goes to free agency.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I don’t hate drafting this guy like most. If he’s seen as having an actual NHL future then that’s what your targeting in later rounds.

People acting like some of these other later prospects have as much or more potential but in the end you never really know

I view the pick as the Canucks securing the rights to a guy that apparently was destined to be a College UFA guy. Don’t hate this gamble. Only don’t like that they used a 4th rounder on him instead of a 6th or 7th round pick.

From Chris Faber today:

"Ty Mueller has some pretty damn good hands and went bar down multiple times throughout the day. The 20-year-old, 2023 fourth-round pick looked like he had some intriguing skills for sure. He’s returning to the University of Nebraska-Omaha for his third NCAA season next year".

• 1 month later...