The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Carson Soucy | #7 | D

-AJ-

Info from a brief statistical analysis:

- Used as a 5/6 in Seattle in both the past two years

- LHD

- Will turn 29 before the start of the season, so will be 31, at the end of this contract

- Very heavy trade protection for a 5/6 defenseman

- Very tall player at 6'5", though a little on the slim side at 208 lbs

- 3rd best among Seattle D with +18 in 2022-23

- Reasonably physical with 143 hits in 78 games, good for 3rd on the Kraken's D (for reference this would've been 3rd on the Canucks D behind Schenn and Burroughs)

- Moderate block frequency at 1.2 per game

- Slightly better than average giveaway/takeaway numbers

- Point production suggests he's a DFD, but is actually used surprisingly offensively at 54.8% OzS%

- Has a tendency to take a lot more penalties than he draws

- Two major penalties last year--though I'm not sure what they were, so he probably fights occasionally

- Was on the 2nd PK unit and performed quite well

- Was the the backup choice for a PP defenseman if Dunn or Schultz weren't available. Fairly poor results.

- CORSI is average

- His point production was considerably higher in 2021-22. This past year was on pace for 17 points. 2021-22 was on pace for 27 points.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully Soucy, Cole and Irwin will provide plenty of Truculence.  Add Juulsen and possibly Woo to the mix and that's a pretty heavy defense that can bang and crash. Can't wait for the season to get going. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hopefully Soucy, Cole and Irwin will provide plenty of Truculence.  Add Juulsen and possibly Woo to the mix and that's a pretty heavy defense that can bang and crash. Can't wait for the season to get going. 

I don't think Irwin will be a regular NHL player he signed 2 way deal 450,000 AHL/ 750,000 NHL depth 

1. Hughes LD  2. Hronek RD  3. Cole LD  4/5. Myers. RD -- Soucy LD/RD.    6. Wolanin LD -Juulsen RD - Irwin LD - Brisebois LD    -Hirose LD ---Johanssen RD- Woo RD --- (((Rathbone might be moved will have to clear waivers this year?

• -AJ- changed the title to Carson Soucy | #7 | D

I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but I have a feeling fans are expecting way too much of Soucy. I was stunned to find that most fans expect him to play a bigger role than Cole, despite spending almost his entire career on the bottom paring thus far. Cole, on the other hand has spent regular time in the top 4 and even spot duty with guys like Hedman and Sergachev.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but I have a feeling fans are expecting way too much of Soucy. I was stunned to find that most fans expect him to play a bigger role than Cole, despite spending almost his entire career on the bottom paring thus far. Cole, on the other hand has spent regular time in the top 4 and even spot duty with guys like Hedman and Sergachev.

Funny, I feel the opposite. I think Soucy will surprise some fans. I think Soucy was underutilizing last year and I was impressed with him the most of any Kraken defender whenever they played us.

That being said, I am expecting the reality to be somewhere in the middle, where no fan is happy or right. That’s our sweet spot. Lol

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It's not as much of a rivalry as it should be, no one seems to really hate Seattle the way they do Vegas. I still think of Calgary as our biggest rivals but that goes back over the last 20 years really. Edmonton and Vegas have just blown past us and are too good to be considered rivals, whereas Calgary is still in our weird bubble. Seattle is close but a smidge ahead of us. We had a decent rivalry with the Kings a while back in the playoffs too but again, they've blown past us again so probably don't consider us much of a threat.

15 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

It's not as much of a rivalry as it should be, no one seems to really hate Seattle the way they do Vegas. I still think of Calgary as our biggest rivals but that goes back over the last 20 years really. Edmonton and Vegas have just blown past us and are too good to be considered rivals, whereas Calgary is still in our weird bubble. Seattle is close but a smidge ahead of us. We had a decent rivalry with the Kings a while back in the playoffs too but again, they've blown past us again so probably don't consider us much of a threat.

Well, that’s because they weren’t quite gift wrapped the team Vegas was and they also haven’t won the Stanley Cup within their first 6 years of existence yet.

• Cheers 1