The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Leafs sign Max Domi

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

He signed that contract before he figured out Toronto sucks. Maybe he had a change of heart and wants out now.

lol he sucks so it's fitting he plays for the Laffs. Him and the other M are a bunch of 'no shows'.  Typical Laff move would be to trade the one of three that actually shows up in the post-season.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Leafs trying to form a gang with Reaves, Bertuzzi and Domi

Yup they figured they were too soft against Florida, watch it back fire and the next cup will be won by speed and skill and not by goonism.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Who else other than Muzzin is on LTIR?

And you’d still need to be cap complaint opening night to get that LTIR space.

There are 2 formulas with LTIR - the above or the below formula.  Can go above the cap up to the LTIR contract and then apply LTIR to become cap compliant.  Detroit was doing it for several years under Holland and even Vancouver used the above formula.  

Teams can also use off-season LTIR - it would be the over the cap formula as there's nowhere to send players to.  

Edited by mll

Jake Muzzin is on LTIR, so that is $5.6 million that the Leafs can be over the cap to start the season.  Also, Samsonov is arbitration eligible, so if he takes the Leafs to arbitration then that opens up another buyout window, which presumably would mean they would buyout Matt Murray after they re-sign Samsonov.  Buying out Murray would mean they would have a dead cap hit of $687,500 for this season, so they would save exactly $4 million in cap space.

The buyout of Murray and Muzzin on LTIR would mean the Leafs would actually be under the cap by $1,568,550 even after signing Domi.  They would still need to count Samsonov's arbitration award contract however, so depends how much he gets.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tinky-Winky said:

They better drop someones contract , they way over the salary cap , this is getting stupid now

Players on LTIR still count against the cap.  Poolman counts against the Canucks' cap space so they are above the cap but he's unlikely to play.  If Vancouver doesn't go above the cap they'll be playing with a roster of maximum 81M when every other team is playing with a roster of 83.5M.  It's the same for Toronto - Muzzin's career is over.  So they can exceed the cap by his cap hit (5.65M) otherwise their playing roster would be less than 78M.  

Toronto is cap compliant - it's calculated throughout the year and teams can't sign contracts if they don't have the cap space.  It's the off-season so they can exceed the cap by 10% - it's counted a bit differently because all 50 contracts are back on the books.  Teams are also allowed to use off-season LTIR.  

4 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Should have kept Dubas. Treliving is just making these bad value "get tougher" moves.

Yup. Dubas would never waste on a guy like Domi. Treliving will kill the Leafs just like he did to the Flames. He should have focussed on trading Matthews before July 1. Now Leafs’ will see Matthews walk for nothing, just like Flames saw Johnny do. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, mll said:

Players on LTIR still count against the cap.  Poolman counts against the Canucks' cap space so they are above the cap but he's unlikely to play.  If Vancouver doesn't go above the cap they'll be playing with a roster of maximum 81M when every other team is playing with a roster of 83.5M.  It's the same for Toronto - Muzzin's career is over.  So they can exceed the cap by his cap hit (5.65M) otherwise their playing roster would be less than 78M.  

Toronto is cap compliant - it's calculated throughout the year and teams can't sign contracts if they don't have the cap space.  It's the off-season so they can exceed the cap by 10% - it's counted a bit differently because all 50 contracts are back on the books.  Teams are also allowed to use off-season LTIR.  

Correct me if I’m wrong, but dont they have to be cap compliant including LTIR before the regular season starts and then after that LTIR can be activated?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Should have kept Dubas. Treliving is just making these bad value "get tougher" moves.

I like the Bertuzzi add, luke warm on Domi as he goes missing for stretches. Book it, Domi comes out of the gate flying and all the media will be a buzz, then he will disappear. The Reeves acquisition is a farce, the guy can barely play and keep up anymore. He will be on the bench mostly and when he gets on the ice take stupid penalties or get scored on. 

31 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Dumbass shopped like a vagabond, searching through each trash can around the league.

“ooh Marleau hes washed up and tossed away I’ll take him… ooh now Thornton.. and Simmonds….” Etc etc

15 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

If this happens, you gotta think one of the big 4 are gone. Likely Nylander, but wouldn't be surprised to see Marner gone.

It's funny, I know Nylander has the smallest cap it. He's also a bit of a flake, and a bit of a floater. But ironically he's one of the few of the big 4 that actually shows up in the Playoffs.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's funny, I know Nylander has the smallest cap it. He's also a bit of a flake, and a bit of a floater. But ironically he's one of the few of the big 4 that actually shows up in the Playoffs.

Yep, he wouldn't be the guy I would want to trade if he was on my team. I'd honestly choose Marner, but because of his NMC he's not going anywhere.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sorta...

Toronto big 4 produced better then I assumed and if you look at it just as basic stats comparison,

Marner 11gp 3g 11a for 14pts and +7

Matthews 11gp 5g 6a for 11pts and +2

Tavares 11gp 4g 4a for 8pts and -1

Nylander 11gp 4g 6a for 10pts and -4

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but dont they have to be cap compliant including LTIR before the regular season starts and then after that LTIR can be activated?

They can use off season LTIR.  There are also 2 ways to be cap compliant.

A.  The under approach.  Fit everyone including the players that will go on LTIR under 83.5M.  Apply LTIR and then fill out the roster.

or

B.  The over approach.  Build a roster with the LTIR contracts that can exceed the cap by the LTIR contracts - and then apply LTIR to get back under.  The off-season formula uses this approach.  The Canucks used the over formula last year where they built a roster at 86M and then put Ferland on LTIR to hit 82.5M.  

• Thanks 1

back to Domi signing

I like Domi as a player, seems like a decent human in any interviews. Personally dont like his psychotic attacks on unsuspecting players though.

Personally, I'd take Domi & Bertuzzi over what Bunting (:sick:)and ROR signed for, definitely going to give dmen and goalies fits.

I'm also quite surprised Bunting signed with Florida for as long as he did, did he forget Cernak plays for the lightning and is also signed long term? yikes. 

Domi Matthews Marner

Bertuzzi Tavares Nylander

Jarnkrok Kampf Knies

Reaves Lafferty Gambrell