The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings re-sign Anze Kopitar

6 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

I know it’s only 2 years, but it seems like too much money. He’s getting older. 

he's still producing over 70 points a season and one of the best 2 way defensive center in the league. and not showing signs of slowing down..  he just had his best ppg in 4/5 season this past year.. 7mil is a steal and low risk at 2 years

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

74 points in 82 games. Still not to shabby.

Yeah, but can he keep playing at that high level for 2 more years? I’m not so sure about that. It feels like him being rewarded for the past though and there’s nothing wrong with that, but I would have asked him to take less, so there’s more cap space to take another run at a Stanley cup.

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

he's still producing over 70 points a season and one of the best 2 way defensive center in the league. and not showing signs of slowing down..  he just had his best ppg in 4/5 season this past year.. 7mil is a steal and low risk at 2 years

Maybe you’re right. I think all the inflation has distorted my sense of monetary value. Either that, or I’m just a cheap old man.:lol:

• Haha 1

I've said it before, and I know it will never happen... but why wouldn't one of these veteran players who have made an outrageous amount of money already not re-sign for $1 million and leave the team with extra cap space to sign another very good player or two to help win a cup? Surely another cup means way more than money after nearly 20 years of playing pro hockey.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I've said it before, and I know it will never happen... but why wouldn't one of these veteran players who have made an outrageous amount of money already not re-sign for $1 million and leave the team with extra cap space to sign another very good player or two to help win a cup? Surely another cup means way more than money after nearly 20 years of playing pro hockey.

Kariya and Selanne tried that in Colorado.

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

Kopitar has already won 2 cups. As much as he’d surely love to win another, it’s not quite the same as a guy like Wheeler signing for cheap.

10 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Kopitar has already won 2 cups. As much as he’d surely love to win another, it’s not quite the same as a guy like Wheeler signing for cheap.

Yeah, not only that but he has had a better career than like 99% of players to ever play in the NHL. 

He is still a really good player who deserves every cent of that and more.
He is not a guy trying to prove he can still play or trying to catch that elusive championship run. 

He shouldn’t be asked to play for essentially free just because he has had a good career. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Always liked Kopitar, big center with a sublime skillset. He's LA's Getzlaf in a way, but better defensively. Could be a first ballot kind of player. 

Two cups, two Selke's, two Lady Byng's, leadership award, repeat all-star. If only he'd been a Canuck.

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

I'd imagine it sets a bad precedence for other contracts

23 minutes ago, LucBourdon28 said:

I'd imagine it sets a bad precedence for other contracts

Yeah, I could see that but I'd love it if more aging vets (35+ like Kopitar) would take super team-friendly deals at the end of their careers. It benefits younger players as there's more money to be distributed, and it improves the team which would make it more fun to play. Having said that, I've never been in the position of being a multi-millionaire offered a 7-million dollar contract!