The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann Appearance on Podcast

Rate this topic

On 7/6/2023 at 10:03 PM, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Was debating on whether to put this in Canucks Talk but there are also a lot of non-Canucks related tidbits from this podcast episode with Luke Gazdic and Jared McCann that I found so fascinating. 

@15:14 talks about his infamous "it is what it is" quote after getting drafted by the Canucks

@16:14 talks about his beginnings in Vancouver - timidness around the dressing room as a young player

@18:09 talks about challenges with confidence as a player after getting traded from the Canucks, including how he could have used a year in the AHL and the Canucks giving up on him early

@19:36 funny story about how Andrey Pedan (haven't heard his name in a while!) called McCann out for being a "lonely star" 

Throughout the podcast I really got the sense how McCann was super timid when he was on the Canucks and definitely entered the NHL too early. Great stories around how veterans throughout his career have really helped him to become the player he is now. 

He appears to have matured far better, over-time, than “Tuna” did. I suspect one of the worst things possible for Jake’s development was NOT sending him out-of-town to play in Utica with other hungry  progressing Pros, away from his local possee. Then again, maybe that wouldn’t have been enough or even mattered, regardless.

McCann seems to have developed some good sense between the ears & the wisdom to talk the talk, if not walk the walk, as a representative of his current NHL team. We shall see if he continues to haunt the Canucks as a pesky divisional player, for years to come. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I think this interview is something I highlightend before McCann was a kid when he joined the Canucks and people here (either to make themselves feel better about the trade or for whatever reason) threw him under the bus. 

I always thought it was in poor taste for us to do this. 

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

I think this interview is something I highlightend before McCann was a kid when he joined the Canucks and people here (either to make themselves feel better about the trade or for whatever reason) threw him under the bus. 

I always thought it was in poor taste for us to do this. 

I think the idea of getting a Guddy type D man was a good one and the cost was fair considering. But Benning’s regime couldn’t evaluate D very well, so Guddy ended up being the wrong target. McCaan was another of the Benning faults. (Yes there are many) Benning too often rushed his high picks into the NHL and it had negative affects on their development. This new regime would have had guys like McCaan in the AHL developing their game and maturing into men. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think the idea of getting a Guddy type D man was a good one and the cost was fair considering. But Benning’s regime couldn’t evaluate D very well, so Guddy ended up being the wrong target. McCaan was another of the Benning faults. (Yes there are many) Benning too often rushed his high picks into the NHL and it had negative affects on their development. This new regime would have had guys like McCaan in the AHL developing their game and maturing into men. 

I think my concern here is people were throwing McCann under the bus saying he had a bad attitude. It felt more like rumors to me and I thought it was unfair to do this to, at the time, a 19/20 year old

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, viking mama said:

He appears to have matured far better, over-time, than “Tuna” did. I suspect one of the worst things possible for Jake’s development was NOT sending him out-of-town to play in Utica with other hungry & progressing Pros, away from his local possee. Then again, maybe that wouldn’t have been enough or mattered, regardless.

McCann seems to have developed some good sense between the ears & the wisdom to talk the talk, if not walk the walk, as a representative of his current NHL team. We shall see if he continues to haunt the Canucks as a pesky divisional player, for years to come. 

Seems to be a better winger than a center & the Pens used him as such (for obvious reason, given their lineup at the time).  Better off for him to have spent time on the Pens.  He wasn't going to learn anything under Willie.

22 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I think my concern here is people were throwing McCann under the bus saying he had a bad attitude. It felt more like rumors to me and I thought it was unfair to do this to, at the time, a 19/20 year old

And yet they kept Jake.:ph34r:  Well I guess it wasn't his bad attitude..he was just bad.:P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Just another example of how prospects were rushed into the NHL during the Benning area. That 2014 draft with the two first round picks the Canucks had was a missed opportunity to quicken the rebuild. 

Putting 19 year-olds into NHL lineups, especially in hot Canadian markets is a lot of pressure that's hard to handle for a teenager. Unless they're exceptional talents like Petey, best to make a safe bet and let them marinate in the AHL for a couple of years.

Let's hope Allvin and Rutherford don't make similar mistakes. So far, doesn't seem like they are, as we're finally starting to build some prospect depth and Abby's roster next year is certainly intriguing - let's hope this continues. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Just another example of how prospects were rushed into the NHL during the Benning area. That 2014 draft with the two first round picks the Canucks had was a missed opportunity to quicken the rebuild. 

Putting 19 year-olds into NHL lineups, especially in hot Canadian markets is a lot of pressure that's hard to handle for a teenager. Unless they're exceptional talents like Petey, best to make a safe bet and let them marinate in the AHL for a couple of years.

Let's hope Allvin and Rutherford don't make similar mistakes. So far, doesn't seem like they are, as we're finally starting to build some prospect depth and Abby's roster next year is certainly intriguing - let's hope this continues. 

IMHAO our owner has learned his lesson to keep his snout out of hockey ops and allow the experts to do their jobs. The buyout of OEL was confirmation for me. The kids are going to stay in lower leagues and develop into men (physically and mentally). There will always be experienced veterans on the big club the kids will need to push out. We have competent management. No more McCann failures. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Was always annoyed we gave up on this guy, add it to the pile of things Benning botched.

I'm hoping Hoglander doesn't turn into another victim of being rushed into the NHL under Benning's management. 

He certainly had a gift for finding amateur talent, but the ability to develop that talent into NHL players was questionable at best. Forsling is another example of that. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I'm hoping Hoglander doesn't turn into another victim of being rushed into the NHL under Benning's management. 

He certainly had a gift for finding amateur talent, but the ability to develop that talent into NHL players was questionable at best. Forsling is another example of that. 

The new team is working at un-Benninging Hoglanders development, and I have high hopes it will be successful. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

All they had to do was be patient with him and Virtanen, rushing them both was awful for this franchise. Who's to say what could have been if Jake had had time away from his boys, time to grow up around others putting in work over in Utica, or what could have been if we'd been patient with McCann. But they had to rush the shiny new toys.

McCann has made a player of himself, if you look at his numbers he started improving year by year while in Florida, and then Pittsburgh. His point per game was getting better, his Seattle numbers didn't come out of nowhere he just got a larger opportunity and ran with it. And you know what, good for him. He's likeable enough if you can pull up your big boy pants and get over something dumb he said as a teenager.

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

All they had to do was be patient with him and Virtanen, rushing them both was awful for this franchise. Who's to say what could have been if Jake had had time away from his boys, time to grow up around others putting in work over in Utica, or what could have been if we'd been patient with McCann. But they had to rush the shiny new toys.

McCann has made a player of himself, if you look at his numbers he started improving year by year while in Florida, and then Pittsburgh. His point per game was getting better, his Seattle numbers didn't come out of nowhere he just got a larger opportunity and ran with it. And you know what, good for him.

Our US amateur scouts have generally been good.  Same as our European amateur scouts.

Canadian amateur scouts?  Nepotism at its finest.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

The unfortunate thing about Virtanen and McCann is that it was either NHL or CHL during their rookie year. A year or two finding their feet playing top 6 minutes in the AHL would have done wonders for them.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1