The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Nils Hoglander to 2 year $1.1M

Odd.

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Its not very good for the Canucks. Now in 2 years , he will  be getting a Bouvilleir contract.

Should have given him 4 years 1.8 million 

He already proved himself an NHL player in the NHL and in the AHL.  Before he was sent down , he was in the top 10 points wise for his draft class 

he hasn't really proven anything as an nhl player.. his first years been good and he's been regressing in terms of production every year since.. he wasn't even good enough compared to our bottom 6 last season to stick with the club.. doesn't really take much to beat out our bottom 6..  if he can't stick in the top 6 he have no place on the team.. he's like 5'9 185 lbs.. not exactly a 3rd or 4th line checker.. and 30 points ain't exactly a top 6 material.. beauvilier was averaging over 0.5 ppg when he signed his contract.. if hoglander can average more than .33 ppg and more than 10 goals a year?? he might get like a 3mil on his next contract as he's still going to be an rfa.. rather than signing a 4 year contract that walks him straight to ufa.

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah with Höglander in the lineup most likely on the 3rd line there really is no room for Garland. The 3rd line is too small with him. Comtois would be a good replacement for Garland. 

So how do we get rid of Garland?  Could we move him for a player with a similar cap hit but someone who plays defence?  

What about Garland for Dylan Demelo?  He’s gonna be a UFA in a year. Doubt he re-signs in Winnipeg. Can play him with Hughes for a year. I’d even add a sweetener to the deal. Also frees up $2 million in cap space. Or Garland for Brenden Dillon. Dillon plays with Hronek and Cole plays with Hughes. Dillon is also a UFA next year. Doubt he re-signs with Winnipeg. Heck he might stay in Vancouver for awhile, it’s his hometown. He can be Hronek’s partner for the next 2-3 years. 

I like my suggestion of Garland + Rathbone + 3rd or 4th +/- for a later 2nd from a team like CHI personally.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I like my suggestion of Garland + Rathbone + 3rd or 4th +/- for a later 2nd from a team like CHI personally.

I like that too. I’d try and get Ethan Del Mastro back rather than a 2nd.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If Garland’s $17M+ contract is a bridge too far, wonder if Beauvillier would work in a package like that…

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

with the cap spending and FA we picked up we are definitely over staffed now. And there is room for only one short type forward in the team so I guess its time to let Garlund go pick pucks off our defense on the boards.

But do you really want Garlund doing his little mouse thing and then feeding bedard?

2 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

Farm team will miss Hoglander, easily the best in the playoffs last year.

Let's hope not. He should start on their first line getting like 20mins a game. At the deadline, or when injuries or other trades mean there's a gap in the forwards, he gets brought up for good. Think of it as him having tons and tons of skating to get ready for a playoff push.

38 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

Let's hope not. He should start on their first line getting like 20mins a game. At the deadline, or when injuries or other trades mean there's a gap in the forwards, he gets brought up for good. Think of it as him having tons and tons of skating to get ready for a playoff push.

He'll get claimed if we waive him.

24 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Exactly. I wasn't sure, but it looks like this year, he'll have to pass through waivers and clearly he'd get claimed. 

I wasn't sure if he had one more year, but unfortunately, he doesn't. 

He's a sparkplug. He should be more than fine. 

Edited by BarnBurner

1 hour ago, Ted Lasso said:

If Garland’s $17M+ contract is a bridge too far, wonder if Beauvillier would work in a package like that…

Possibly. It's hard to say as Garland's not a traditional "cap dump". He's a good player (albeit perhaps ~$500k+/- overpaid), still young'ish and has good advanced stats (he helps your roster). Taking on salary (especially short term as he is) for useable players isn't really a "problem". Under normal cap conditions, that trade I proposed would be a laughable overpayment to CHI.

Either will work. Though personally, I'd rather we move Garland now, and Beau (and Myers, and Pearson if he's healthy/playing at the NHL level) at the TDL.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

2 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Exactly. I wasn't sure, but it looks like this year, he'll have to pass through waivers and clearly he'd get claimed. 

I wasn't sure if he had one more year, but unfortunately, he doesn't. 

He's a sparkplug. He should be more than fine. 

Someone posted in another thread that he has another 2 GP before he's a waivers risk...but I'm not seeing any reference to it on Capfriendly.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, ronthecivil said:

Not if he starts the year in Abby. So do just that unless he outright crushes the competition, and forces the team to waive someone.

He'd have to be waived to start the year in Abby. He's on an NHL contract and is no longer waiver exempt, so in order to play for Abby this year he'll have to clear waivers.

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Someone posted in another thread that he has another 2 GP before he's a waivers risk...but I'm not seeing any reference to it on Capfriendly.

Hogs isn't waiver exempt due to age and years in the league.

He's been in the league for 3 years, and signed his first contract when he was 19, but since he turned 20 before Dec 31st of that year, he was deemed to be a 20 year old. A player who signs at 20, is only exempt for 3 years, so last season was Hogs last exempt year.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Its not very good for the Canucks. Now in 2 years , he will  be getting a Bouvilleir contract.

Should have given him 4 years 1.8 million 

He already proved himself an NHL player in the NHL and in the AHL.  Before he was sent down , he was in the top 10 points wise for his draft class 

Imo c chance Hoglander signs a 4 year deal at 1.8

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I think he had one more game. But it was from last year. Don’t think that game carries forward into the new season as he’s past the number of years required to clear. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

This guys going to come in a give 5 million value now! I feel a hogs break out season coming 

Could easily happen. Which is why i think we should have went longer. There's basically zero chance of getting value out of him now. Even if he's just average, he will be eligible for more money after this deal. 

We only protected ourselves from the risk that he's not an NHL player in 2 years. Barring injuries, I just don't see him being out of the NHL in 2 years. 

• Wat 1