The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Coyotes sign Travis Dermott

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

No, can't keep him just because we spent a 3rd. I wasn't hoping that we'd re-sign him anyway, he's not much of a difference maker.

I just don't like how many draft picks we continue to waste in scenarios such as this one. It's tiring seeing the same mistakes repeated over and over.

Agree,  it's bad enough churning thru free agents but giving up assets like draft picks on a hope and a prayer is something else

6 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

If you look for him on Cap Friendly, he's listed on LTIR.  If he turns out to not be cleared it's a fool hard move.

I thought Bear was safe until he is pronounced healthy.  Is it likely that he gets snapped up as a free agent healthy or not?

His contract was up. Not obliged to offer contract to player because injured. Wasn’t even injured playing for Canucks. 
Hope he had good insurance. 

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Knowing Canucks luck. He'll score 70 points. Win the Norris and the Masterson Trophies.

Knowing the Canucks, he'll have an incredible start to the season, put up 25 points in 30 games and CDCs collective head will explode. Then he'll trail off into obscurity, and everything will return back to normal.

• Cheers 1

I thought he was one of the better bottom pairing defencemen in the league before his injury, now he's going to have to prove himself again. Lots of 1 year deals being dished out and this is half his original salary, but he knows he'll get a good opportunity in Arizona to show-case himself for his next contract. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays well and ends up in their top-4.

That team is an absolute mess on paper and surely bottom in the league by far. Their entire defence is only under contract for 1 year and they don't have a guy over 1.7M in cap hit. No idea what they're playing at apart from full tank ahead, they might as well flip Keller for some top-end picks or prospects. That team has 10 2nd rounders in the next 2 years but could use another first here or there.

Given how injury riddled Dermott was during his 2 years as a Canuck I was not surprised to see us not qualify him and walk away. With him injured, among other D it allowed us to see call ups show well in Wolanin, Brisebois, Juulsen, Hirose and McWard (small sample). It still sucks to see us lose that 3rd round pick for next to nothing but we had to sign and retain the previous mentioned players given their good showing when in the NHL for the most part.

Wish Dermott all the best, if he is healthy he should have a decent shot at an opening day roster spot I would assume...its Arizona, off the top of my head in this heavily fatigued, extreme amount of pain i am in moment I can not list of a 7 man D group for the Coyotes...Stecher, Valimaki, Durzi  (just acquired) . Moser, Dermott now oh and Shea Weber of course how could I forget him...

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Hate to say it but glad he is gone.

I feel very similar. Was never a fan of the Canucks grabbing him. Never really brought anything that really moved the needle. No loss. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

To my eyes, he looked "ok". Seemed to play a pretty solid defensive game and was quite poised, but didn't contribute much in way of points or rushes, and frankly, was a pretty boring player to watch. (This isn't always a bad thing for a defenseman). I recall quite a few on CDC claiming they were optimistic he would become a truly decent 2-way defender, but I never really saw that in his game.

I know we have other 3rd pairing defenders as well, but comparing Dermott to Hirose, so far, I'm quite happy to let Dermott walk. Good luck to him.