The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Canucks ownership and Management miss the opportunity to capitalize the relationship between Boudreau and Kevin Owens to increase the brand awareness of the The Vancouver Canucks globally?

Rate this topic

iinatcc

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Wrestling is a sport, but not the stuff you are talking about.

Your discriptor as stunts is more accurate. 

Reminds me of an old story involving Stallone while he was making the film "Paradise Alley" (which involved a number of pro wrestlers).  He apparently overhead a conversation among the stuntmen who were making fun of the 'pro wrestlers' in the movie.  Stallone went up to them and told them he better not hear another word about that.  He said essentially that "pro wrestlers' are actually professional stuntmen who are skilled at making those moves in 'one take' in front of a live audience.  You (stuntmen) shouldn't look down on them.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Reminds me of an old story involving Stallone while he was making the film "Paradise Alley" (which involved a number of pro wrestlers).  He apparently overhead a conversation among the stuntmen who were making fun of the 'pro wrestlers' in the movie.  Stallone went up to them and told them he better not hear another word about that.  He said essentially that "pro wrestlers' are actually professional stuntmen who are skilled at making those moves in 'one take' in front of a live audience.  You (stuntmen) shouldn't look down on them.

They are talented, large, steriod filled, gymnastic humans. What they do takes skill. What they do is dangerous. What they do only get one take...

...What they do is not. a. sport. 

I'm just speaking the truth my friend. Your story is nice though. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They are talented, large, steriod filled, gymnastic humans. What they do takes skill. What they do is dangerous. What they do only get one take...

Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

How is it not a sport?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Watching Vice's The Dark Side of the Ring got me thinking ....

While not exactly mainstream per-se Pro-Wrestling has been part of the global Cultural pastime for decades now. It's an industry that is shunned upon by the mainstream but respected enough by the global audience with names like Batista, John Cena, and Dwayne Johnson all starring in billion dollar (or near that) grossing blockbusters. 

Kevin Owens, while not as big as a name as those mentioned, Is quite a big WWE star in his own right. A former WWE World Champion and recently main evented night 1 at Wrestlemania 39. Over the last year there has been a developing relationship between Owens and former Canucks coach Bruce Boudreau especially when Boudreau revealed to the media that he was quite a Wrestling fan and one of his favoriate wrestlers was Owens himself.

Since then, and before Boudreau got fired, Kevin Owens has been quite the representative for the Canucks even wearing a Canucks jersey during a WWE live event.  The WWE, now sold to the same company that owns the UFC, is looking to only be bigger than ever in the Sports-Entertainment landscape.

Vancouver Canucks Management and ownership should have found a way to capitalize on this opportunity brining brand awareness to the Canucks and perhaps do a co-promotion with the WWE. Imagine if WM39 Kevin Owens came to the ring wearing a Canucks jersey or Boudreau accompanying Ownes and Sami Zayn at WM and promoting the Canucks? or perhaps in other cross promotion ideas.

Was Canucks Management too hasty? in letting go Boudreau ? Perhaps they could have worked an agreement with Boudreau in staying in the organization in a VP or even as a special broadcaster for the Canucks? Imagine the visibility the brand would have gotten if they continue this Owens/Boudreau thing as part of the Canucks organizaiton.

Heck maybe Rick Tocchet could join as the assistant coach but Boudreau as the head coach. And when Boudreau has to commit to a WWE event Tocchet can take over as interim head coach.

So we still get Tocchet helping the team while Boudreau will bring visibility to the Canucks brand both in the wrestling space and mainstream? 

For all we know we could have had a legion of Canucks fans become fans due to them being WWE fans?  Imagine if the next Saudi event Boudreau joins Owens and Sami Zayn (since he can now perform in Saudi Arabia for some reason), they all come in with Canucks gear talk about it. And perhaps The Canucks would be considered Saudi Arabia's hockey team and would get an influx of fans and perhaps merchandise. Maybe even play some games in Saudi Arabia with the Canucks as part of the NHL's global series.

It's time to let go of this "global brand recognition" for the NHL.  It's a pipe dream and chasing it has been nothing but bad for the league, imo.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

A very athletic stage play is what it is. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

How is it not a sport?

The wrestlers are great athletes, but they work with their opponent to put on an entertaining event rather than compete against them. They are all part of the same team, so to speak. 

• Cheers 4

15 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Reminds me of a heated debate I had with a guy who claimed F1, Indy, and other motor vehicle races were not sport.

I could see an argument being made for NASCAR not fitting the definition :P

No, just kidding.  They're also sporting events, even if it's all left turns.  :bigblush:

At least NASCAR is entertaining, last F1 race I called the finish... On Lap 3... 

12 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

At least NASCAR is entertaining, last F1 race I called the finish... On Lap 3... 

When it was modified stock cars it was entertaining. Hasn't been that way since the late 70's.

Moto GP or Isle of Man TT. The motorcycle is about 10%, the rider is 90% I could put Rossi on a Ninja 400, and he'd probably wipe out an average rider (racer) on a high end Ducati/Yamaha/Honda race bike.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Reminds me of a heated debate I had with a guy who claimed F1, Indy, and other motor vehicle races were not sport.

I could see an argument being made for NASCAR not fitting the definition :P

No, just kidding.  They're also sporting events, even if it's all left turns.  :bigblush:

I think the day poker was added to the programming on sports networks was the day any debates about whether or not car racing or professional wrestling were real sports became rather moot. ;) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the day poker was added to the programming on sports networks was the day any debates about whether or not car racing or professional wrestling were real sports became rather moot. ;) 

Also this. 

• Haha 1