The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Canucks ownership and Management miss the opportunity to capitalize the relationship between Boudreau and Kevin Owens to increase the brand awareness of the The Vancouver Canucks globally?

Rate this topic

iinatcc

17 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

"for entertainment", isn't WWE labelled sports entertainment? I work out 4 times a week, is that not a sport? I'm not competing against anyone. 

Depends on how you view the World Amateur Body Building Championships? AKA Mr. Universe

Edited by Ghostsof1915

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Depends on how you view the World Amateur Body Building Championships? AKA Mr. Universe

Now, that makes it at least a competition.

Going to the gym isn't a sport. 

I workout 6 days a week. I am an athlete. Though, I havent competed in my sport of contact Kumite for over 10 years.

No not with lesser known names like Kevin Owens. If the Rocks or the Bastistas were the names involved who are now widely considered entertainers and movies stars( in fact I would guess there’s a lot more people that wouldn’t know they had started their careers in WWE) there could be opportunities. But not with Kevin Owens 

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I used to really love WWF wrestling...when I was 10 years old, about the time I found out it was fake.

Did Bruce not get the memo?

I enjoy watching plenty of works of fiction.  I'm not a fan of WWE, but judging people for what they're fans of is pretty weird to me.  Hockey needs more young fans anyway.

But of course WWE is staged fighting.  There's none of that in NHL.........oh wait.

There's no manufactured winner based on the ref just coincidentally looking the other way and not seeing an infraction.......oh wait

There are no contestants that will take a fall, or tank, just to gain some payout, or high draft pick........oh wait

:ph34r:

;)

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

But of course WWE is staged fighting.  There's none of that in NHL.........oh wait.

There's no manufactured winner based on the ref just coincidentally looking the other way and not seeing an infraction.......oh wait

There are no contestants that will take a fall, or tank, just to gain some payout, or high draft pick........oh wait

:ph34r:

;)

But the guys actually playing on the ice are in competition. In wrestling the guys are working together to put on the best entertainment they can. It’s not sports. It’s amazing athletes putting on a great show. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

But the guys actually playing on the ice are in competition. In wrestling the guys are working together to put on the best entertainment they can. It’s not sports. It’s amazing athletes putting on a great show. 

Absolutely. A sport is a competition with no pre-determined outcome.

WWE is not much different from a Broadway play. Just more athletic and worse acting.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Nope.  

Let’s be honest. 

Who are the majority of wrestling fans?

Im going to be as nice as I can with this. 
Most of them are rednecks, idiots or kids. 
Yes I understand they fill arenas all around the USA.   I stand by what I said.  
You could fill every area in the country, you still wouldn’t have a seat for the majority of the redneck dummy wrestling fans.  
That doesn’t say good things for wrestling, that say’s horrible things about the state of the country

They don’t care about hockey.  

That's why they watch wrestling.  
People in NA who know hockey, know who the Canucks are.  

People follow the team in their city or the one nearest to them 9.5/10. 

Also, Bruce was an absolutely terrible coach.   Great guy. Great personality.  
His time in hockey is done. 

The slight chance of getting a handful of hillbilly’s to watch a couple bucks games isn’t worth the pain of watching a Bruce run team.  
Historically bad defence and PP. 

Zero systems and we looked like a bunch of chl kids against pros.  

Also, if we didn’t all get fed that fluff piece, most people here wouldn’t know the name Kevin Owens.  

One more thing, does anyone actually watch wrestling?    Hahahah

Don’t watch if you are offended by words  

I guess you have seen a wrestling crowd since the 70's.  The demographics have changed.  I will leave it at that.

• Upvote 1

This is quite possibly the dumbest thread I've ever read on here.

But wrestlers 100% are athletes, they put themselves through hell.

Tocchet > Boudreau.

The only thing ownership missed out on was hiring a new coach before management. Should have kept Green and let management make the call on there coaching staff and we wouldn't have embarrassed Boudreau.

45 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I enjoy watching plenty of works of fiction.  I'm not a fan of WWE, but judging people for what they're fans of is pretty weird to me.  Hockey needs more young fans anyway.

Pro Wrestling as we knew it growing it is a far cry from today.  Back then, 'kayfabe' was in effect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayfabe

It doesn't exist today.  Without it, the "suspension of belief" isn't possible imho.  

I would equate wrestlers to professional stuntmen/women. And basically getting the same results. And it's for entertainment.

I haven't watched wrestling since the 1980's. And they only reason I watched it was on local channels on the weekend. And if I was home I'd watch it for amusement.

I can't tell you about the "crowd". But you want to sell hockey. Take someone to a live hockey game. Be it Junior or NHL. I'm not sure if TV gives you the whole story of how fast these players are. How tough they are, and how skilled. If you need gimmicks to sell hockey, you've already lost.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

This is quite possibly the dumbest thread I've ever read on here.

But wrestlers 100% are athletes, they put themselves through hell.

Tocchet > Boudreau.

The only thing ownership missed out on was hiring a new coach before management. Should have kept Green and let management make the call on there coaching staff and we wouldn't have embarrassed Boudreau.

And transferred him into selling 50/50 tickets.  The franchise player EP was looking completely lost under Green.  

Wrestlers are some of the toughest SOB's around especially back in the earlier days.  Some of the stories about Meng's toughness outside of the ring are scary. 

Bobby Heenan once said the only 2 people in the world Andre the Giant was afraid of was Meng and Harley Race.

The pounding they put their bodies thru  is insane. 

I liken watching wrestling to any other thing on TV or the movies except they get hurt for real.

And then there is crazy.......on a side note Roddy Piper called me once on the phone to give me advise(Kitty's advice) about getting kids to eat better (his daughter was the same age) Kiitty's one hint that worked was celery dipped in salsa.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I agree totally.

Just yankin some chain

Chain-match.jpg