The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Canucks ownership and Management miss the opportunity to capitalize the relationship between Boudreau and Kevin Owens to increase the brand awareness of the The Vancouver Canucks globally?

Rate this topic

iinatcc

Found great humor in this post.  As for the redneck-esque type, many Canadians fit that bill.  Heck, ever been to Tofield, AB? How about Nanaimo and its bathtub racing?  Does watching The Red Green Show fuel your passion for duct tape?  And does listening to the song Out for a Rip get you patriotically going?

• Vintage 1

nah. the main problem is the NHL has 0 brand awareness. it will never be as mainstream as the other leagues, until the current regime dies out, and the NHL gets people in charge who actually know how to market their teams. youd think vegas would have worked, but drawing the lowest ratings in 30 years for a SCF game, just shows the higher ups dont have a clue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Colt 45s said:

Found great humor in this post.  As for the redneck-esque type, many Canadians fit that bill.  Heck, ever been to Tofield, AB? How about Nanaimo and its bathtub racing?  Does watching The Red Green Show fuel your passion for duct tape?  And does listening to the song Out for a Rip get you patriotically going?

Bathtub races are supported by everyone.  Are you living in a bubble?

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Do you honestly think that because a short, chubby, old hockey coach is friends with a wrestler, that will make wrestling fans more interested in hockey? :lol:

I'd pay money to see Trevor Linden comes down from the rafters ala "Sting" in his Crow gimmick when Francesco when to the center of the ice like this:

:ph34r:

On 7/12/2023 at 12:11 PM, bishopshodan said:

No, it is not.

It is exercise. 

lol, I no longer wonder why I get into the silliest arguments with this poster. This is literally how every conversation with him goes with him and it's absolutely mind blowing. haha

Imagine being a grown man and not knowing the difference between a sport and exercise. :shock:

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2023 at 12:35 AM, The Colt 45s said:

Strangely enough the stereotypical fans that so much described in this thread has changed over the years. Especially after the attitude era when the WWE had to expand globally due to the waning interest in North America. Plus I don't think the scandals in the mid-2000's was that big of a news overseas (Steroids, Chris Benoit, etc) compared how it was covered in the US. 

I actually stopped watching the WWE and even cancelled my subscription to the Network. But my reasons for doing it had little to do with the product (which at the time was not good) and more with my personal beliefs and Principals. It's even worse now considering how Vince McMahon return to power in the WWE again.

That said there's no doubt WWE is global brand and more recognizable than the NHL. If you ask any non-Canadian anyone in the world they more would recognize Bret Hart or Chris Jericho than Wayne Gretzky. Canucks linking itself would have been beneficial. 

If you go to Europe a lot of people wear NY Yankee caps casually, but if you ask them if they are Yankees fan most wearing it wouldn't even know what the Yankees are. If the Canucks brand could get to that level where it's imagery and team motifs Transends the brand and the sport itself that would be great.  

On 7/12/2023 at 7:21 AM, iinatcc said:

Watching Vice's The Dark Side of the Ring got me thinking ....

While not exactly mainstream per-se Pro-Wrestling has been part of the global Cultural pastime for decades now. It's an industry that is shunned upon by the mainstream but respected enough by the global audience with names like Batista, John Cena, and Dwayne Johnson all starring in billion dollar (or near that) grossing blockbusters. 

Kevin Owens, while not as big as a name as those mentioned, Is quite a big WWE star in his own right. A former WWE World Champion and recently main evented night 1 at Wrestlemania 39. Over the last year there has been a developing relationship between Owens and former Canucks coach Bruce Boudreau especially when Boudreau revealed to the media that he was quite a Wrestling fan and one of his favoriate wrestlers was Owens himself.

Since then, and before Boudreau got fired, Kevin Owens has been quite the representative for the Canucks even wearing a Canucks jersey during a WWE live event.  The WWE, now sold to the same company that owns the UFC, is looking to only be bigger than ever in the Sports-Entertainment landscape.

Vancouver Canucks Management and ownership should have found a way to capitalize on this opportunity brining brand awareness to the Canucks and perhaps do a co-promotion with the WWE. Imagine if WM39 Kevin Owens came to the ring wearing a Canucks jersey or Boudreau accompanying Ownes and Sami Zayn at WM and promoting the Canucks? or perhaps in other cross promotion ideas.

Was Canucks Management too hasty? in letting go Boudreau ? Perhaps they could have worked an agreement with Boudreau in staying in the organization in a VP or even as a special broadcaster for the Canucks? Imagine the visibility the brand would have gotten if they continue this Owens/Boudreau thing as part of the Canucks organizaiton.

Heck maybe Rick Tocchet could join as the assistant coach but Boudreau as the head coach. And when Boudreau has to commit to a WWE event Tocchet can take over as interim head coach.

So we still get Tocchet helping the team while Boudreau will bring visibility to the Canucks brand both in the wrestling space and mainstream? 

For all we know we could have had a legion of Canucks fans become fans due to them being WWE fans?  Imagine if the next Saudi event Boudreau joins Owens and Sami Zayn (since he can now perform in Saudi Arabia for some reason), they all come in with Canucks gear talk about it. And perhaps The Canucks would be considered Saudi Arabia's hockey team and would get an influx of fans and perhaps merchandise. Maybe even play some games in Saudi Arabia with the Canucks as part of the NHL's global series.

Mid summer yawn.

• Haha 1

I had to re-read the thread title.

Do people around the globe really care who Bruce and his wrestling buddy are, and what they're up to?

Wrestling is a cringe-worthy laugh and so incredibly phony.  

I'd rather the Canucks not be the joke of the league. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

On 7/12/2023 at 5:49 PM, shiznak said:

Owens wearing a Canucks jersey in Vancouver is just for the cheap pop. - Jerry Lawler

He’d want to see Cammi Granato’s puppies.

Also, WWE is ballet with violence. Not a real sport.

AEW is actually worse because they have middle school looking kids who act tough and do nothing but video game moves over and over.