The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rough Tough Canucks of 1994 Stanley Cup Finals

Rate this topic

RolexSub

21 hours ago, Warhippy said:

This is no slight to them at all.  That team was by far the best to ever hit the ice in our uniform until 2011a dn even then head to head I'd give 1994 the edge.

But Gelinas was THE big game player in his career.  Post 1994 Ronning, Courtnall and Babych kind of faded in to obscurity.  Gelinas put the Canes in to the finals in 2002 with his insanely timely goals and again in 2004 with Calgary.  the guy was big game money.  With the 2002 canes he had like minimal points in the playoffs but look when and where those points came from and it's kind of awesome.  The epitome of clutch

Ppl forget how good gelinas was. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Ppl forget how good gelinas was. 

I remember exactly how good Gelinas was.  He is literally the only player in Canucks history, maybe in league history, where the fans campaigned to team management to tear up his contract and give him a raise.  Good luck seeing that happen for any NHLer today.

He was a very good player.  Ronning, Courtnall and Babych were better though.

The best playoff series any Canuck has ever had (save for maybe Luongo, Brodeur and McLean) - so the best series any Canuck skater has ever had - is Ronning against LA and Kesler against Nashville.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Yup and didn’t feel sorry for him whatsoever 

There was a report on the radio someone was tightrope walking one of the trolly lines. Wouldn't you get electrocuted? Or do you have to be grounded?

Most of Babych's strength was from his moustache.

• There it is 1

15 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I remember those guys climbing up the poles at Robson and Thurlow. Didn't one of them fall?

I walked by as they were climbing.  Unless there was a whole lot of climbing going on and I walked by some other daredevils at another street.  It wasn't too far from where the Canuckmobile was being beaten with baseball bats or golf clubs or something.  Crazy times.  Saw some wacky stuff on the way from the Pacific Coliseum to the Skytrain that day.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Haha 1

Completely different era but toughness has always been a factor in the playoffs. I think it dipped a bit but it's clearly back now. Size and toughness. You could go and argue one further that you really need a MASSIVE solid, physical defence with 1-2 puck movers to shut down the opponents, then second-most importantly you need good two-way forwards. They don't have to be massive, they just have to be solid defensively and aware and grind or play hard. We saw a lot of big centers win championships recently (Kopitar, O'Reilly etc.) but I don't think that's a necessity, I think they just have to be good enough defensively to check the other forwards, but size on defence is key. Then of course, good goaltending.

The obvious comparable is the 2011 finals, we had a relatively small team with some solid forwards, elite PP and a pretty versatile defence, but it was far from a physical defence whereas Boston just destroyed us physically over the series. They had monsters on their blueline who literally broke our forwards and we couldn't get past them, whereas their forwards were so good defensively they checked us and eventually, they managed to score against our relatively small defence.

I think you can win with small forwards - just look at Chicago, heck even Tampa. Guys like Kucherov, Point, Toews, Kane etc. are running circles around teams but they're all very solid defensively and work hard, but they're not massive. Sure, their depth guys are big, but their top guys aren't. Meanwhile, look at those defences. Seabrook, Keith, Hedman. Two-way beasts.

Going forward, that's why I like Allvin's UFA acquisitions - they bring some much needed size and grit to our blueline. We can get by up-front, we've got decent two-way forwards, we could use some size in our bottom-6, but on defence we needed to get stronger physically and we did. We need to keep that going, especially next year with Myers out and Cole a year older, we'll need some more size to keep coming in on the blueline.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

54 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I walked by as they were climbing.  Unless there was a whole lot of climbing going on and I walked by some other daredevils at another street.  It wasn't too far from where the Canuckmobile was being beaten with baseball bats or golf clubs or something.  Crazy times.  Saw some wacky stuff on the way from the Pacific Coliseum to the Skytrain that day.

Oh and I figure in case anyone was about to say you liar you weren't there, the game was in New York, or if anyone just wants a bit of trivial Canucks history...  The Canucks sold general admission tickets for game 7 against New York for $5 to sit in the Coliseum and watch the game on the Jumbotron.  It was a pretty forward thinking venture at the time I believe.

Anyway, it was grab a seat when you get there and I got there a little late.  Pretty much the only time in Canucks history that the front row was the least desirable seat in the arena but it was and that's where I was...neck cranked up to watch the game through the glass over ice with nobody on it.

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Completely different era but toughness has always been a factor in the playoffs. I think it dipped a bit but it's clearly back now. Size and toughness. You could go and argue one further that you really need a MASSIVE solid, physical defence with 1-2 puck movers to shut down the opponents, then second-most importantly you need good two-way forwards. They don't have to be massive, they just have to be solid defensively and aware and grind or play hard. We saw a lot of big centers win championships recently (Kopitar, O'Reilly etc.) but I don't think that's a necessity, I think they just have to be good enough defensively to check the other forwards, but size on defence is key. Then of course, good goaltending.

The obvious comparable is the 2011 finals, we had a relatively small team with some solid forwards, elite PP and a pretty versatile defence, but it was far from a physical defence whereas Boston just destroyed us physically over the series. They had monsters on

I believe Vcr were aware of the need for toughness prior to 2011 play-offs. They had players such as Lapierre. Weise, Bieska, Burrows, Kesler. Unfortunately Vcr lost Hamhuis after he tried to hip check Lucic, then Mr Betteman ( prompted by Mr Jacobs ) had Rome suspended for a record number of game, the rest of the series. Erhoff(and Kesler played with seperated shoulder ) Edler had his hand broken but had to play it through. Plus Tim Thomas outplayed Luongo mainly because Luongo couldn't resist at little extra fun at his home. Often in soccer management they put teams in hotels to keep check on them, which would have benefited Luongo. I remember during a stay in Chile ( stricktly on bisiness ) the visiting foorball teams stayed in the same hotel as I stayed and I used to get a laugh. The players all had to have their room keys attached to the outside of their doors :lol: ie no one was going any where. The coach checked frequently walking up nd down the hall way, checking the keys. a strict curfew

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 2

Thinking about it, perhaps this is the way we can go with this team. Acquire enough "character" players who can make it through multiple playoff rounds and you never know. You just need to make the playoffs at that point. Sure we might not be considered a "cup contender" if we do it (we weren't considered 1 in '94 afterrall), but I'm not convinced we are in a spot that would make us considered to be that contender anyway, so perhaps this would be the next best thing a la '94?

Edited by The Lock

59 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Thinking about it, perhaps this is the way we can go with this team. Acquire enough "character" players who can make it through multiple playoff rounds and you never know. You just need to make the playoffs at that point. Sure we might not be considered a "cup contender" if we do it (we weren't considered 1 in '94 afterrall), but I'm not convinced we are in a spot that would make us considered to be that contender anyway, so perhaps this would be the next best thing a la '94?

Seems like the way to go with this roster.  Stuff like the Hronek trade and fear that Elias and Hughes will bail if we rebuild means...guess we're skipping the rebuild.  May as well load up the best we can with any Sergio Momessos and Gerald Diducks we can find around these guys and hope the stars align a little bit come playoff time.

That said, the Canucks were considered contenders in 1992 and 1993 and then just had a down season in 1994 before the playoffs due in no small part to the Nedved holdout.

However...the window was closed after 1995.  I think it could have stayed open a bit longer but the various tinkerings and then crazy overhauls ended that.  I think when they let Ronning go in 1996 they had closed the book on things whether they realized it or not.  If they had chilled out a bit and held pat...would have had Ronning and Linden in good form for another decade, plus Mike Peca for his entire career, and addition by subtraction in no Messier.  Might have had another run at things, who knows.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

I love Pat Quinn as a Coach and also GM making a huge trade with St Louis in 1991 in which really brought the team together and making it far in the Stanley Cup run. 

Every trade Quinn made our team stronger and stronger. 

St Louis in 1991 Trade:

We received:

Geoff Courtnall

Robert Dirk

Sergio Momesso 

Cliff Running 

1992 5th round pick 

We gave:

Garth Butcher 

Dan Quinn. 

Edited by RolexSub