The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Derek Clancey no longer Canucks assistant GM, joins the Maple Leafs

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

So we are pretty much a development team for players for Calgary and staff for Toronto?

I mean they hired Sanford, Nonis, Burke, did the plane run out of gas in Calgary on the way this time so they took Treliving instead of finding the cave Benning is hiding in.

15 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

So we are pretty much a development team for players for Calgary and staff for Toronto?

I mean they hired Sanford, Nonis, Burke, did the plane run out of gas in Calgary on the way this time so they took Treliving instead of finding the cave Benning is hiding in.

Imagine that. They were able to find Osama Bin Laden, but not Jim Benning. 

I think the fact that Clancey is moving on so soon likely speaks to how well Cammi Granato has settled into her position.

Clancey was hired nearly three months before Granato, and the club stated at the time that he would be reviewing and revamping scouting, and that he would oversee both amateur and pro scouting in Vancouver.

When Granato was hired, the club stated that she also would be overseeing scouting, both pro and amateur.

It would seem that Clancey set the table for Granato in Vancouver, but now he’s no longer really needed here (although he would have been a significant asset had he stayed), and taking on an AGM role in Toronto, and being put in charge of player personnel for the Leafs, offers him a greater challenge and a more substantial portfolio than the one he was sharing with Granato.

Overall, I’d say the Canucks remain in very good hands. Granato has established herself well in a managerial role in charge of scouting (despite only three years experience as a scout), and also I believe player development is part of her duties. She’s worked closely with Harvey on the draft. And the Canucks are in great shape on the pro scouting and player personnel side, with JR and Allvin, as well as Scott Young (NCAA free agent guru and Canucks director of player personnel), and many other knowledgeable people in hockey ops to help guide acquisitions and roster building.

I’d have preferred to see Clancey stay but I can understand why he’s choosing to move on and take this opportunity with the Leafs. But given Clancey’s history and loyalty to JR, I don’t think he takes this new job unless he’s fully confident he’s leaving the team, and the scouting departments in particular, in very good hands.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the fact that Clancey is moving on so soon likely speaks to how well Cammi Granato has settled into her position.

Clancey was hired nearly three months before Granato, and the club stated at the that he would be reviewing and revamping scouting, and that he would oversee both amateur and pro scouting in Vancouver.

When Granato was hired, the club stated that she also would be overseeing scouting, both pro and amateur.

It would seem that Clancey set the table for Granato in Vancouver, but now he’s no longer really needed here (although he would have been a significant asset had he stayed), and taking on an AGM role in Toronto, and being put in charge of player personnel for the Leafs, offers him a greater challenge and a more substantial portfolio than the one he was sharing with Granato.

Overall, I’d say the Canucks remain in very good hands. Granato has established herself well in a managerial role in charge of scouting (despite only three years experience as a scout), and also I believe player development is part of her duties. She’s worked closely with Harvey on the draft. And the Canucks are in great shape on the pro scouting and player personnel side, with JR and Allvin, as well as Scott Young (NCAA free agent guru and Canucks director of player personnel), and many other knowledgeable people in hockey ops to help guide acquisitions and roster building.

I’d have preferred to see Clancey stay but I can understand why he’s choosing to move on and take this opportunity with the Leafs. But given Clancey’s history and loyalty to JR, I don’t think he takes this new job unless he’s fully confident he’s leaving the team, and the scouting departments in particular, in very good hands.

I was kinda worried when we first hired 3 AGMs that there would be too many voices in one room. 

It would be nice if Clancey stayed but understand his decision to leave for a bigger role. Agreed with your comment about Cammi Granato is settling well in her position that we don't need to replace Clancey's role. 

If he is the guy that helped turning around both with amateur and pro scouting then it is big loss. 
But Benning had the worst pro-scouting that I can remember in a very long time so the baseline was very, very low. 
Whatever it is that he brought here, hopefully he forgot it when he got to TO. Blow Leafs Blow!

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Malhotra?

15 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

On the one hand it means that we’re doing something right with the initial hire, but on the other hand do we have a problem keeping good people, and if the latter then WHY???

1 minute ago, MJDDawg said:

On the one hand it means that we’re doing something right with the initial hire, but on the other hand do we have a problem keeping good people, and if the latter then WHY???

Actually Benning is gone so we don’t have a problem with good people leaving any more. New management has a lot of good people and depth in place. You clearly have PBSD

16 hours ago, Tinky-Winky said:

We only have 1x GM, and NOW 2x AGM ( which are cammi and emille ) , ryan johnson is a AGM but hes more involved with addotsford canucks , so ya we should be fine with 2 AGM

This is looking at the canucks front page under team > Hockey Operations 

Hockey Operations | Vancouver Canucks (nhl.com)

What about Steamer?? Thought he was still around the org.

16 hours ago, Quantum said:

I am surprised that the Canucks allowed Clancey to take a lateral position with another NHL franchise. I would’ve thought they’d decline to let him out of his contract but I guess letting him do this gives them good will around the league with future hires.

That said, the Canucks have Rutherford as President, Allvin as GM, and Castonguay, Granato, and Johnson as AGM’s. I wonder if one of the scouts or analytics guys gets a promotion this year internally. Could see that happening. 

Honestly, it’s time to get Jannik Hansen into the organization.

That was my thought as well. But the response from Rutherford (that it helps the Canucks, and that they won’t replace him) seems to indicate that internally they decided they may have too many cooks in the kitchen? 

Maybe Rutherford approached Clancy about this, and Clancy has long ties with Treliving, so they allowed this to happen on a one-time basis.

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

That was my thought as well. But the response from Rutherford (that it helps the Canucks, and that they won’t replace him) seems to indicate that internally they decided they may have too many cooks in the kitchen? 

Maybe Rutherford approached Clancy about this, and Clancy has long ties with Treliving, so they allowed this to happen on a one-time basis.

Likely JR realized that Cammi is better than Clancy. Guy could move along or get fired.