The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canes re-sign Aho 9.75x8

10 hours ago, Drakrami said:

And we used 4million LTIR and still bottom feeded.. So...? 

Are you being obtuse or really that dunce that you can't see the difference... the advantage isn't in using LTIR during the season... its in having all those guys back magically healthy come playoff time. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Doubt that.He will be traded for a boat load.

2 good players,3 good prospects and a couple 1sts, plus a second.

We would add a futures (7th round pick)

If Petey is traded then say goodbye to Hughes as well.  And we can all have fun with our future rebuild for the next 5-7 years...

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Think you're a tad biased...

All of those numbers I provided are factually true.  If player x is scoring 102 points and has 163 Selke votes and player y has 67 points and 5 Selke votes, then player x > player y.  It's a simple math calculation.  

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Yeah, like Kucherov miraculously appearing healthy just before the playoffs. 

That's quite the addition. 

Yeah Vegas case was basically adding Eichel/Stone, Karlsson/Barbashev, and Hague. But yeah the Canucks should have made it in and gone deep being up Pearson and Burroughs :lol:

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, HKSR said:

One elite 100+ point guy + scoring depth > NO elite 100+ point guy + scoring depth.

Eichel is that guy.  He's coming off a major surgery, but still put up 26 points in 22 games in the playoffs and basically a PPG in the regular season.

Age aside, I would much rather have Stephenson and Marchessault (on top of what we already have), then Pettersson.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3
  • RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

All of those numbers I provided are factually true.  If player x is scoring 102 points and has 163 Selke votes and player y has 67 points and 5 Selke votes, then player x > player y.  It's a simple math calculation.  

Just making a lame joke based on your user name...

• Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

Age aside, I would much rather have Stephenson and Marchessault (on top of what we already have), then Pettersson.

I wouldn't.  I think 32 GMs in the league wouldn't either.  If VGK offered those 2 for Petey, you'd do the trade?

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

I wouldn't.  I think 32 GMs in the league wouldn't either.  If VGK offered those 2 for Petey, you'd do the trade?

Now? No, given their age, but if they were all the same age, definitely.

A combine 100+ points, at worst with both Marchessault and Stephenson. Compared to a possible 100+ points with Pettersson. 

Marchessault have been a proven playoff performer in the past, just coming off a Conn Smythe win, and was one of the favourites to win in 2018. Stephenson is an underrated elite defender. I would argue equal to Pettersson. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

A combine 100+ points, at worst with both Marchessault and Stephenson. Compared to a possible 100+ points with Pettersson. 

Marchessault have been a proven playoff performer in the past, just coming off a Conn Smythe win, and was one of the favourites to win in 2018. Stephenson is an underrated elite defender. I would argue equal to Pettersson. 

I don't think you'll find many people that will agree with your assessment here my friend.  I, along with most people would take Petey over Marchessault and Stephenson 100 times out of 100.  Petey could make his 2 wingers 50 to 60 point players by himself.  

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

lol if they were the same age definitely?? so if Marchessault was 24.. you would take him and stephenson over EP?? a guy that have 1 points in 4 nhl game in his career? and stephenson a guy that is coming off a 11 point -13 season? like how are you even trying to compare guys at their peak vs a guy that's not even close to his peak in terms of their prime ability/age

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

And...?  Not sure what you're getting at.  

I'm no economist or anything so I'm pretty ignorant here but doesn't it matter, or shouldn't it matter how much money you have vs how much goods and services are in the area in which you live?

On 7/26/2023 at 8:10 PM, BarnBurner said:

Yeah, like Kucherov miraculously appearing healthy just before the playoffs. 

That's quite the addition. 

They still had to make the playoffs without him.  

So many NHLers have had the same surgery so there's a known timeline for a hip labrum tear.  Just around that time Pastrnak, Seguin, Rask (it even ended his career), Beaulieu.   Recovery time is normally 5 to 6 months and an earlier return isn't recommended because of the risk of a re-tear.  Kucherov made it back in 4.5 months - just like Pastrnak but Seguin took 6 months.  Tampa expected him back in a later round (2nd or 3rd) and Millstein, his agent, said he tried to dissuade him from returning that early because of the risk of tearing it back.

Edited by mll

4 hours ago, kacholu said:

Well then if he gets paid $10M USD that's $13.5M in CAD 

Every NHL player in Canada gets paid in US dollars.  So it's not really an advantage.  If it was lots of US players would be coming up to Canada to play hockey and take advantage of the exchange rate.  If you are a US player or even a European player those US dollars are spent primarily outside Canada.  The only real advantage is if you live in Vancouver year-round.  Some players do that, but not all.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm no economist or anything so I'm pretty ignorant here but doesn't it matter, or shouldn't it matter how much money you have vs how much goods and services are in the area in which you live?

All else equal, the exchange rate impacts everything across the board.  Look at most goods and services and you'll see that the items are less dollars in the USA because they're in US dollars.  Again this is all else equal which doesn't exist in this economy.  Reality is there are things that are actually more expensive and also cheaper in the US depending on where you live.

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol if they were the same age definitely?? so if Marchessault was 24.. you would take him and stephenson over EP?? a guy that have 1 points in 4 nhl game in his career? and stephenson a guy that is coming off a 11 point -13 season? like how are you even trying to compare guys at their peak vs a guy that's not even close to his peak in terms of their prime ability/age

No, I’m saying if both those players had the same production now, at the age of 24. I would take both those guys over Pettersson.

• Wat 1

48 minutes ago, shiznak said:

No, I’m saying if both those players had the same production now, at the age of 24. I would take both those guys over Pettersson.

The problem is neither of those players were relevant at 24 years old. If they were putting up 65 points at 24 they could be 100 point players at age 29. So the comparison makes no sense. 

By the time Petey is 29 years old he could be a 150 point player with multiple Selke trophies. 

You don’t trade a franchise centre for a couple of top 6 players. You can acquire top 6 players through free agency or trade. We literally got Kuzmenko as a free agent. We got Miller in a trade. You will never get a player like Petey through free agency or via trade. It almost never happens unless the player forces a trade or the player is a UFA and much older. 

• Cheers 1