The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dogs are people too

Alflives

2 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

One thing:  how do these comfort animals react if the plane runs into severe turbulence?

This is just one of numerous potential problems.

The only animal I want on my flight is the one in my sandwich.

• Cheers 2

I absolutely love dogs, but people have gone way too far with bringing them everywhere to shops, classes, etc.  

My little cousin's high school and college classes regularly had multiple animals (not just dogs) that people were bringing in to help with their anxiety. 

Are we that fragile that we can't cope with social situations anymore without our pet? Are people afraid to leave their dog outside to wait for them while they shop? Used to be a normal thing in the 80s and 90s growing up. 

On 8/15/2023 at 9:21 PM, ABNuck said:

As is David Backes and his wife. And if IRC, didn't TJ Oshie also adopt a Socchi dog?

Kyle Burroughs is big on helping local rescue places get their dogs adopted and find them a nice home. Always see him posting about it on IG. 

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Okay, I know the video is a plug for an animal shelter.  And I know Benny was excited because he finally got out of his cage, not because he "realized" he was being adopted.  But it still got kind of an "awww..." from me.

Awww, this just warms my heart! Adopting pets is the best way to go! 

• Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Related but not really: does anyone in the Marpole/Terra Nova area (or maybe even along the North Arm of the Fraser River) feel like it smells like a cross between wet dog and shit out there?  Seemed to notice it on the way home tonight along Marine Drive and all evening in north Richmond.

4D236596-4138-49EF-B1F9-B9BEAFF2395A.gif

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2023 at 7:03 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

I absolutely love dogs, but people have gone way too far with bringing them everywhere to shops, classes, etc.  

My little cousin's high school and college classes regularly had multiple animals (not just dogs) that people were bringing in to help with their anxiety. 

Are we that fragile that we can't cope with social situations anymore without our pet? Are people afraid to leave their dog outside to wait for them while they shop? Used to be a normal thing in the 80s and 90s growing up. 

Yes, society has become charmin soft now.  

Friends Love GIF by Woodblock

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Dogs are BY FAR my favourite people.

No kidding.

I have no problem with service animals although they have to trained. Maybe a test every year to prove they can be in public.

Perhaps we can do that for humans too as problematic incidents in my life are almost always with naked apes. 

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

No kidding.

I have no problem with service animals although they have to trained. Maybe a test every year to prove they can be in public.

Perhaps we can do that for humans too as problematic incidents in my life are almost always with naked apes. 

Ooo!... I would love an "able to behave in public" test for certain people (and their dogs).  :lol:

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2023 at 7:03 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Are people afraid to leave their dog outside to wait for them while they shop? Used to be a normal thing in the 80s and 90s growing up. 

You cannot do that anymore.

Stupid f'ing humans steal them these days. 

I miss the 80s/90s too...dogs outside a shop besides all our discarded bmx's, no bike locks.

Can I bum a quarter to play digdug? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

You cannot do that anymore.

Stupid f'ing humans steal them these days. 

I miss the 80s/90s too...dogs outside a shop besides all our discarded bmx's, no bike locks.

Can I bum a quarter to play digdug? 

I'm on Burnaby Mountain and still see dogs tied outside the store and I love it because you can give them a little scratch behind the ear. 

People also let their kids roam around free, not too many helicopter parents. Kind of refreshing to see. 

On that note... This is off-topic, but it's one of the most interesting videos I've seen in a long time: 

I agree that the "emotional support" animal thing is sometimes a bit over the top, but it's not something that I lose any sleep over. I don't imagine a dog (or chicken, or whatever) is going to be a lot more disruptive than say, a hyperactive child. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of disruptions on flights are caused by adults who are either drunk, entitled, or both...

As far as the power of an animal to heal, I have seen it first hand....

My youngest daughter was in a live-in relationship with an emotionally abusive boyfriend. He would constantly accuse her of cheating and hated it when she would go anywhere with her friends. Classic controlling behavior. The breakup was ugly and for me, it couldn't have come too soon.

My daughter was a bit of an emotional wreck afterward and we sent her for professional help. She was diagnosed with PTSD and prescribed counseling. The counseling helped, but the real change happened when she adopted Nova.

It was like night and day. She was happier, more active and more engaged. Instead of staying in her room all day, she was back to her old outgoing self. She went back to school and within 6 months, had a full-time gig as a Teacher's Aid. Now she has a new boyfriend, who is a respectful, responsible young man. The wife and I like him a lot.

In my mind, there is zero doubt that this little girl turned my daughter's life around:

Could contain: Animal, Canine, Dog, Mammal, Pet, Puppy

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1