The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dogs are people too

Alflives

Fun fact…

Smoking on airplanes was beneficial to maintenance inspections as the pressurized cabins would force the smoke out of tiny cracks in the structure and make them easier to spot due to the grimy residue. Hard as hell on the electronics and electrical though. 

I certainly agree about animals being better than people. Never once have I been cheated or ripped off by an animal. 
There’s cat cafes now where you go drink your coffee with cats.

You also see more and more therapy/support pets showing up in places they normally aren’t allowed such as airplanes. 

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

There are too many stupid jerks who question the legitimacy of service animals.

My best friend has a dog for his extreme anxiety and PTSD. He is licenced and everything, but there’s always someone to question it, including people at the same hospital he got his service dog registered at, so he was booted from the ER when he had broken ribs.

He’s been denied entry to a restaurant by a manager who told the owner his dog isn’t a legitimate service dog and was disrupting customers inside, though he never even got inside. The owner sided with his manager and called my friend a liar. 

Those are only 2 examples. I could write a lengthy essay that would take hours.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dogs (and horses) are a lot better to be around than most people. We used to have smoking on planes. Then a smoking section. How about a section for people and their dogs, cats, birds, etc? Pay extra and get a row or a small cubicle for the person and their pet. Some people on planes take up two seats anyway. Let’s get our pets on planes instead! 

https://www.newsweek.com/great-dane-taking-two-seats-plane-shocks-internet-literal-horse-1804560

Alf has been watching the Disney channel again.;)

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dogs (and horses) are a lot better to be around than most people. We used to have smoking on planes. Then a smoking section. How about a section for people and their dogs, cats, birds, etc? Pay extra and get a row or a small cubicle for the person and their pet. Some people on planes take up two seats anyway. Let’s get our pets on planes instead! 

https://www.newsweek.com/great-dane-taking-two-seats-plane-shocks-internet-literal-horse-1804560

My dog's would absolutely shiiiiit n piss all over the place. I love em so I drive. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

My best friend has a dog for his extreme anxiety and PTSD. He is licenced and everything, but there’s always someone to question it, including people at the same hospital he got his service dog registered at, so he was booted from the ER when he had broken ribs.

He’s been denied entry to a restaurant by a manager who told the owner his dog isn’t a legitimate service dog and was disrupting customers inside, though he never even got inside. The owner sided with his manager and called my friend a liar. 

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My local hospital allowed me to bring my large dog in when I visited a friend who was terminally ill.  When I walked down the hall of the hospital everyone wanted to pet the dog and every time it brought a smile to the patients and the staff.  We co-evolved with dogs and so we just feel better when we are around them, and vice versa too.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

Fun fact…

Smoking on airplanes was beneficial to maintenance inspections as the pressurized cabins would force the smoke out of tiny cracks in the structure and make them easier to spot due to the grimy residue. Hard as hell on the electronics and electrical though. 

I certainly agree about animals being better than people. Never once have I been cheated or ripped off by an animal. 
There’s cat cafes now where you go drink your coffee with cats.

You also see more and more therapy/support pets showing up in places they normally aren’t allowed such as airplanes. 

Coming from a ex interior aircraft technician, you do not want to clean the special filters in the air system! I worked on that on "Krafla" Iceland Air first 757 serviced at the Kelowna airport by KF earospace, after that, I cringe at how long it took to do 2, one on either side of each row.. and believe me, depending on how seat pitch is set, that adds up on a 757! 

One of the many reasons I don't regret leaving that job! That and other jobs brought a new meaning to the word "tedious" 

I'm not bad at tedious BUT cleaning the air system on a Jet? Yeah that fits tedious!!! 

I can't imagine it covered in nicotine...

Edited by icycold

I grew up with a dog and get the love for dogs, but honestly, I think it’s going too far. Dogs on planes? It’s already happening a lot, and my wife, who is allergic to dogs, often has a lot of problems on airplanes now. 
I see dogs in all sorts of shops / stores, and thinking it’s just wrong. I’m sorry, but these are creatures that just piss wherever they like. Dogs are not people. They’re very loyal and friendly to their owners, but let’s not treat them like people in public please.

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I grew up with a dog and get the love for dogs, but honestly, I think it’s going too far. Dogs on planes? It’s already happening a lot, and my wife, who is allergic to dogs, often has a lot of problems on airplanes now. 
I see dogs in all sorts of shops / stores, and thinking it’s just wrong. I’m sorry, but these are creatures that just piss wherever they like. Dogs are not people. They’re very loyal and friendly to their owners, but let’s not treat them like people in public please.

I agree. I think the love of dogs has put consideration of others on the backseat. Then again, people have not always been considerate of others.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

There are also, sadly, too many jerks who abuse the legitimacy of service animals. 

I saw a couple in an art museum who left their "support animal" in its carrier near a statue; they left the room! It wasn't until security showed up a few minutes later to take the carrier to Lost & Found that the couple came running back in, yelling about how it was a needed support animal. Watching them try to explain to security about how important the dog was to their ability to function while not being able to answer how they forgot it was amusing.

Not to mention how frustrating it is seeing people lying about why their "service animal" isn't wearing a vest, though. I see that on at least a weekly basis. I've had people flat out lie to me by suddenly remembering that their dog is a "service animal", somehow believing that telling me that a minute into the conversation, instead of at the beginning, is the silver bullet to make me allow their dog in.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

10 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Think of how many people give you unconditional love, I mean people that will love you despite the failings we all have.

Once we have earnt a dog's love it's there for life. 

My last dog lived nearly 16 years, got me through the second hardest time in my life.

When she died I was more upset at her death than death of some people I have known.

I have had dogs all my life up until that point, since then I have not been able to bring myself to belong to another dog.

Ha, me too (re my dog living nearly 16  years and not getting another since)

She was in rough shape when we got her from the pound. Kennel cough, worms, infection, etc. On 4 different meds. She was the best dog ever, border collie/lab cross. LOVED to hunt with my brother and dad.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

3 hours ago, StrayDog said:

There are also, sadly, too many jerks who abuse the legitimacy of service animals. 

I saw a couple in an art museum who left their "support animal" in its carrier near a statue; they left the room! It wasn't until security showed up a few minutes later to take the carrier to Lost & Found that the couple came running back in, yelling about how it was a needed support animal. Watching them try to explain to security about how important the dog was to their ability to function while not being able to answer how they forgot it was amusing.

Not to mention how frustrating it is seeing people lying about why their "service animal" isn't wearing a vest, though. I see that on at least a weekly basis. I've had people flat out lie to me by suddenly remembering that their dog is a "service animal", somehow believing that telling me that a minute into the conversation, instead of at the beginning, is the silver bullet to make me allow their dog in.

I don’t doubt that, but in the case of my friend, his service dog has a vest too, and some people decided it’s still not legitimate. 

It’s probably because of people like that you mentioned. 

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Don't forget bunnies!! They are super awesome pets and often get overlooked...but their popularity is rising.

(Speaking of which, leaving soon for a bunny fundraiser...wish me/us luck!!!)

If you have some spare time and want a chuckle, this page is great!

Yup. Bunnies too. Planes had smoking sections, so why not pet sections? If a dog needs to be in a kennel during the flight then have an area where the seats are removed. This putting our pets (dogs, cats, bunnies, etc) in the luggage area is archaic. I’m betting a great many pet owners would gladly pay extra to have proper pet accommodation, so they could have their critter with them. 
Critters are cool! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1