The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Jeff Petry to Red Wings for Gustav Lindstrom, conditional 2025 4th-round pick

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Still spending way too much for a team that could (and should) very well finish bottom 10 again.

Top 5 prospect pool? Hardly. They barely have a better pool than the Canucks. I would say we have prospects just as good in every position except maybe center.

Granted I haven't seen any rankings since the draft.  But over the past year all the rankings I've seen have had Montreal's prospect pool in the top 10 whereas Vancouver has generally been rated very poor.  I've seen as high as 17 but as low as 28.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Granted I haven't seen any rankings since the draft.  But over the past year all the rankings I've seen have had Montreal's prospect pool in the top 10 whereas Vancouver has generally been rated very poor.  I've seen as high as 17 but as low as 28.  

Those rankings always rank teams higher if they pick higher, doesn’t mean they have better players. It’s all hype.

I would compare any of their top 4 prospects to our top 4 of Lekkeramaki, Willander, Pettersson, and Silovs.

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

image.gif.30214b5dd9a13ff83a579fc027aa82d3.gif

How many missed top picks in the last two years by the Habaroos? 

Just now, Alflives said:

image.gif.30214b5dd9a13ff83a579fc027aa82d3.gif

How many missed top picks in the last two years by the Habaroos? 

Reinbacher could very well be a top pairing guy but definitely not a lock. Could end up being a solid 3/4. I would say the same thing about Willander who we got at 11.

As for Slafkovsky clearly they were enamoured by his size but he’s a big old question mark for me. Lekkeramaki could very well develop better than him at this point.

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Reinbacher could very well be a top pairing guy but definitely not a lock. Could end up being a solid 3/4. I would say the same thing about Willander who we got at 11.

As for Slafkovsky clearly they were enamoured by his size but he’s a big old question mark for me. Lekkeramaki could very well develop better than him at this point.

The Slafkoski pick reminds me of when the Habs took Wickenheiser. And Reinbacher is even worse. Two terrible picks in a row. Hughes is just continuing his incredible terrible top 10 drafting from his Raggedy Andy days. The Habs could have Wright and Michkov! 
Michkov

Suzuki

Wright

That would be an amazing top three centres. 
Instead they have Suzuki. And that’s it. They are so Benning. 

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

With LTIR they have rough $7m in cap space for this seadon.  The cap is expected to rise significantly next season. So yes. They have cap space.  As far as prospects go they have a top 5 prospects pool right now.  They have NHL quality prospects at every position.   They're still lacking superstar talent but moving Savard isn't likely to bring in an asset that will get them that. 

Draft capital wise they have 21 picks in the next 2 drafts. 

It always makes me shake my head but there is a large portion of posters that feel the need to incorrectly denigrate other teams. I think it's some weird form of trying to make themselves feel better about the Canucks. All through my life in sports I practice the opposite and always try to give others credit where credit is due. You tend to win more when you respect your opposition and try to better yourself instead of hoping others are worse.

Anyways, it seems to me that the Habs clearly have all of those things going for them now and are proceeding with slowly building up their team until it makes sense to push a little harder. Good job from their front office the last couple of years. Hopefully that Slafovsky pick comes along for you though. I haven't really been following that. Is he looking like a bad pick or is it just a matter of waiting for development?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

homer simpson GIF

Let me introduce you to my friends. :P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It always makes me shake my head but there is a large portion of posters that feel the need to incorrectly denigrate other teams. I think it's some weird form of trying to make themselves feel better about the Canucks. All through my life in sports I practice the opposite and always try to give others credit where credit is due. You tend to win more when you respect your opposition and try to better yourself instead of hoping others are worse.

Anyways, it seems to me that the Habs clearly have all of those things going for them now and are proceeding with slowly building up their team until it makes sense to push a little harder. Good job from their front office the last couple of years. Hopefully that Slafovsky pick comes along for you though. I haven't really been following that. Is he looking like a bad pick or is it just a matter of waiting for development?

He probably should have spent time in the minors.  Generally I think it's a mistake to rush any 18 year old kid into the show.  He was showing signs of aclimating to the north American game when he got hurt and was shut down for the year.  Montreal was inundated with injuries last year with only Suzuki managing to play 82 games. As a result there was a lot of player and line juggling.  Slafkovsky should show much better this season if he's able to come to camp healthy.  Personally I'd love to see them start him in Laval to let him get a lot of ice time and build his confidence back up. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

cap space, 

Prospect pool

4. Montreal Canadiens

Top three prospects: David Reinbacher, Lane Hutson, Filip Mesar

Top pick in 2023: David Reinbacher

From an organizational standpoint, Montreal’s blueline is brimming with potential. From Jordan Harris, Justin Barron, Kaiden Guhle and Arber Xhekaj who all spent time in the NHL this season, to Reinbacher and Hutson who are perhaps the best prospects of the bunch, it’s obscene depth. Then there’s the talented but problematic Logan Mailloux, who was inexplicably picked and signed. Hutson’s skillset is off the charts, while Reinbacher was the most NHL-ready defender in this year’s draft.

Up front, Owen Beck, Joshua Roy, Filip Mesar and Sean Farrell will all challenge for roster spots at camp, looking to add to the young core in Montreal.

21 picks in the next 2 drafts.  - draft capital

Edited by qwijibo
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The Slafkoski pick reminds me of when the Habs took Wickenheiser. And Reinbacher is even worse. Two terrible picks in a row. Hughes is just continuing his incredible terrible top 10 drafting from his Raggedy Andy days. The Habs could have Wright and Michkov! 
Michkov

Suzuki

Wright

That would be an amazing top three centres. 
Instead they have Suzuki. And that’s it. They are so Benning. 

Michkov isn't a centre.

18 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Better prospects than Woo have slipped through the waivers. But then again, we have Gadjovich get claimed. So i'd say no one knows, it's 50/50 lol... 

Fair point. In my addled brain I thought Gadjovich had played much more than 1 game for Van, but internet says otherwise. Maybe PA is playing 4D chess and the only reason Woo wasn't called up last season was to sneak him through waivers this year.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Incidently, I'm assuming Jonah's 17 PIM/GP is a Canucks record?

6 hours ago, qwijibo said:

cap space, 

Prospect pool

4. Montreal Canadiens

Top three prospects: David Reinbacher, Lane Hutson, Filip Mesar

Top pick in 2023: David Reinbacher

From an organizational standpoint, Montreal’s blueline is brimming with potential. From Jordan Harris, Justin Barron, Kaiden Guhle and Arber Xhekaj who all spent time in the NHL this season, to Reinbacher and Hutson who are perhaps the best prospects of the bunch, it’s obscene depth. Then there’s the talented but problematic Logan Mailloux, who was inexplicably picked and signed. Hutson’s skillset is off the charts, while Reinbacher was the most NHL-ready defender in this year’s draft.

Up front, Owen Beck, Joshua Roy, Filip Mesar and Sean Farrell will all challenge for roster spots at camp, looking to add to the young core in Montreal.

21 picks in the next 2 drafts.  - draft capital

LTIR space isn’t exactly the cap space I was talking about. :lol:

They’re still spending to be a bottom 15 team.

Those prospects are a bunch of meh. Every team has prospects on their level. For a team that’s rebuilding it’s really not impressive.

As for the future picks we’ll see where the playoff teams they got them from finish. Might be more quantity rather than quality.

• There it is 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Those prospects are a bunch of meh. Every team has prospects on their level. For a team that’s rebuilding it’s really not impressive.

As for the future picks we’ll see where the playoff teams they got them from finish. Might be more quantity rather than quality.

LTIR space and cap space are two completely different things. LTIR space is only used when you run out of cap space. Being in LTIR during the season limits the amount of moves you can make and it also stops you from banking real cap space so you can make trades, especially at the trade deadline. 

Probably the worst thing that can happen to a non playoff team is to be in LTIR. Montreal can’t make any moves now and weaponize cap space to get picks and prospects. They don’t have a lot of cap space next year either unless they plan to run on LTIR again. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

LTIR space and cap space are two completely different things. LTIR space is only used when you run out of cap space. Being in LTIR during the season limits the amount of moves you can make and it also stops you from banking real cap space so you can make trades, especially at the trade deadline. 

Probably the worst thing that can happen to a non playoff team is to be in LTIR. Montreal can’t make any moves now and weaponize cap space to get picks and prospects. They don’t have a lot of cap space next year either unless they plan to run on LTIR again. 

Montreal is closer to being under the cap without the use of LTIR than Vancouver is. They can be under the cap with a 22 man roster.  That'll leave them $10m of ltir to use this season if need be.  Next year they may not even need to use LTIR. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal is closer to being under the cap without the use of LTIR than Vancouver is. They can be under the cap with a 22 man roster.  That'll leave them $10m of ltir to use this season if need be.  Next year they may not even need to use LTIR. 

Sure. But Vancouver has completed their rebuild or retool. They are shooting for the playoffs this year. They aren’t in the business of collecting picks and prospects anymore. So it doesn’t matter to them if they are in LTIR, which they will be for two more seasons. 

I’m assuming Montreal is still trying to build their team, or are you suggesting they are done?

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure. But Vancouver has completed their rebuild or retool. They are shooting for the playoffs this year. They aren’t in the business of collecting picks and prospects anymore. So it doesn’t matter to them if they are in LTIR, which they will be for two more seasons. 

I’m assuming Montreal is still trying to build their team, or are you suggesting they are done?

No. Montreal is still building. And they have plenty of cap space, draft capital and prospects to utilize towards that end. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If it’s Hughes and Gorton drafting the Habs will continue to draft bad, especially with their top picks. Bustaroo Habs. 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

If it’s Hughes and Gorton drafting the Habs will continue to draft bad, especially with their top picks. Bustaroo Habs. 

They did have an impressive streak of top 10 busts didn’t they? :lol:

Too early to call Kakko and Lafreniere busts but certainly you would hope they’d be in your top 6 by age 21/22 considering where they were drafted.

Good thing they had two picks those years and kind of made up for it with Miller and Chytil.