The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] RT calls out ownership for no practice facility

Rate this topic

grandmaster

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Rush hour for sure, but staggered travel times would help. Build a rest area complex to keep players overnight during training. Land would be cheaper, maybe Abbotsford might offer them a deal on a spot. Added revenue for the area. Downtown is going to be hella expensive and building codes are probably way stricter and more red tape.

Maybe if they had a helicopter limousine and a landing pad, I could see that happening, but that’s not realistic.::D

26 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Cant believe ppl here are even suggesting anywhere outside vancouver.  Players dont want to go there.

It's also about land cost and feasibility. I used to work in Abbotsford and getting there in the morning was ok but getting home in rush hour was not. Land cost has to be part of it, and Abbotsford might welcome the idea with incentives thrown in. Game days would be Rogers as usual.

Imagine Abby practicing in a rink next to the parent club. Yeah it will be difficult for sure to find a spot. Or maybe canvas closer municipalities to see if they have proposals to get a practise facility built in closer, from Langley on in. Or someplace close to a skytrain. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

22 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm also not sure why there's sudden urgency, or even need, for a practice facility.  I doubt players could use it in the off season, per the CBA, and during the season they are on the road for half the year and the half they are home, itd likely only be used part time.  That seems like a big ticket item that's costly to run that will get part time use

They can use them I believe, just independently, not formal or required team events.

• There it is 1

17 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

They can use them I believe, just independently, not formal or required team events.

They can, yes.  However, I doubt many players would be staying in Van over the summer, so it's kind of a moot point 

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

They can, yes.  However, I doubt many players would be staying in Van over the summer, so it's kind of a moot point 

RT was saying he generally thinks they would be settling in in mid August. I think he is making a bit of a vet mistake. Guys with kids won’t wait until Sept to settle and get kids ready for school. And man why wouldn’t you want to be in Vancouver in the summer. 

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

RT was saying he generally thinks they would be settling in in mid August. I think he is making a bit of a vet mistake. Guys with kids won’t wait until Sept to settle and get kids ready for school. And man why wouldn’t you want to be in Vancouver in the summer. 

Because they don't live in Vancouver.  Most Euros go back to their home countries, as do.Americans and most Canadians return to home provinces.  That's just the way it is.

17 hours ago, Warhippy said:

It has absolutely everything to do with the situation if there has been discussion regarding use of public funds towards a semi private facility.

As for virtue signalling, stow that nonsense.  We have vastly greater issues than potentially funding corporate welfare and before you chomp on your tooth in trying to respond understand that the last few major arena issues in the league have ALL had major issues with public funding from Seattle to Vegas, Arizona and Calgary.

With the cost of land and development in Vancouver as well as the issues regarding housing there is 100% no question that any arena will have some aspect of public funding which should absolutely be a non starter and on the random occurrence that it magically doesn't and some how a billionaire owner of a major series of companies does not ask for corporate welfare, the land use issues will be another major hurdle based on the need for housing.

I personally see no reason in which any other number of suggestions brought up here are not feasible or viable for millionaire players with literally dozens of rinks or opportunities within a few short hours drive or flight from GM place

No it doesn't as it doesn't come from the same funding. At all,,, 

• Cheers 1

The Plaza of Nations is still an option.  The developer already has approval from the city to build an ice rink as part of phase 2 and they are moving forward on that.  The ice rink won't be built for another 3+ years though as it's part of phase 2, not phase 1.  So, Aquilini could still opt for Plaza of Nations in the future if nothing else materializes.  I am assuming Aquilini, and the Canucks want more control, so they are looking at building their own rink.

There are 4 options.  One is at Willingdon and Canada Way in Burnaby, another is at East Broadway and Rupert Street in East Vancouver.  A 3rd option is at the Heather Lands in South Cambie.  And the 4th option is the Jericho Lands in Point Grey on the Vancouver Westside.  All 4 pieces of land are controlled by Aquilini and the First Nations conglomerate, the MST Partnership.  I'm assuming they will take one of these options and if nothing materializes, they will go back to the Plaza of Nations as a fallback option once phase 2 is in development.

Canucks: A new practice facility remains a priority, but the potential locations are few | The Province

Either way, nothing will happen for several more years.  In the meantime, once all of the upgrades are done at Rogers Arena after next summer, I am assuming Rogers Arena will be more available to the players starting in the summer of 2025.  

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Plaza of Nations is still an option.  The developer already has approval from the city to build an ice rink as part of phase 2 and they are moving forward on that.  The ice rink won't be built for another 3+ years though as it's part of phase 2, not phase 1.  So, Aquilini could still opt for Plaza of Nations in the future if nothing else materializes.  I am assuming Aquilini, and the Canucks want more control, so they are looking at building their own rink.

There are 4 options.  One is at Willingdon and Canada Way in Burnaby, another is at East Broadway and Rupert Street in East Vancouver.  A 3rd option is at the Heather Lands in South Cambie.  And the 4th option is the Jericho Lands in Point Grey on the Vancouver Westside.  All 4 pieces of land are controlled by Aquilini and the First Nations conglomerate, the MST Partnership.  I'm assuming they will take one of these options and if nothing materializes, they will go back to the Plaza of Nations as a fallback option once phase 2 is in development.

Canucks: A new practice facility remains a priority, but the potential locations are few | The Province

Either way, nothing will happen for several more years.  In the meantime, once all of the upgrades are done at Rogers Arena after next summer, I am assuming Rogers Arena will be more available to the players starting in the summer of 2025.  

Willington and Canada Way... BCIT... where is there room there ?

You know where there is lots of land? Stanley Park.

But the tree huggers would have a fit and there would be many protests.

Right by 2nd beach. Man the free agents would love it, maybe take a discount for once lol.

2 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Willington and Canada Way... BCIT... where is there room there ?

You know where there is lots of land? Stanley Park.

But the tree huggers would have a fit and there would be many protests.

Right by 2nd beach. Man the free agents would love it, maybe take a discount for once lol.

Other options are likely better.

I mean, there are all kinds of species and habitat at Stanley Park that are worth considering. Just don't know that we need to focus there when there could be something less intrusive.

- Tree hugger Deb

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

24 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Other options are likely better.

I mean, there are all kinds of species and habitat at Stanley Park that are worth considering. Just don't know that we need to focus there when there could be something less intrusive.

- Tree hugger Deb

They can re plant many trees around the new building and parking lot and road construction to offset the removals.

They could also create more green space elsewhere to kind of level the playing field per se. I know it's not ideal but its downtown and close to rogers and it would probably be the nicest practice facility in the league. It also creates many jobs. During construction, green space rehab, and maintenance and staff.

In my opinion it's definitely a solid option.

I would clear cut that park myself for a cup parade.

And yes I recognize the importance of trees but Stanley Park is huge, this would take up maybe 5-10% at most and yes we could offset the green space and plant more trees elsewhere to offset the construction footprint.

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs

3 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I would clear cut that park myself for a cup parade.

Well c'mon now, that's different.  ;)

In all seriousness...yes you can "replant and create greenspaces" but, in the meantime, animals are displaced and it can disrupt the natural harmony of things. Change things. It's why they say you shouldn't even remove things from the beach, wildflowers from parks, etc...ecosystems and all.

In my opinion, I still think there are so many other options in spaces that are not as environmentally sensitive as our golden gem.

• Cheers 2