The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) VGK expected to sign Max Comtois to PTO

RWJC

24 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. Fans get too fixated on points. So much more to the game as in Dzone play, takeaways, board play, possession play that don't show up on the scoreboard. High end players like the twins for example, ruled the boards and dominated possession stats. I will take that over a floater that puts on a great show when he has the puck any day. For bottom nine players I want some points, but points mean nothing if a player can't win the puck back or make a smart play to keep possession. Players like Gourde and Marchessault. These guys will win you championships over guys like Nylander. Garland is a good story, but a better fit elsewhere and I would rather see Pods or Hogs get his ice time.

Exactly. It's way too simplistic to just look at a players counting stats. Look at our season last year. Top half of the league in goals for. We had no problem ripping off 5 or 6 goals in a game but we could not for the life of us keep the puck out of our net. 

As you say there is so much more to hockey than points, like board play, pk, and defence. A player like Garland scores less than a point a game. He's maybe involved in one shift a game where we actually score a goal. What is he doing for the other 14 minutes is the issue.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I might have to change my hot take this year to people actually appreciating Garland

I find it hard to dislike a guy who plays his arse off! Anytime we get that from our players? 

I am a happy camper! Will take what comes...

• Cheers 3

58 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I might have to change my hot take this year to people actually appreciating Garland.  He’s easily our 3rd best winger (debatably 2nd based on how you see Brock.) After him its ACL injury Mikheyev, “never scored 40 points in a season” Beauvillier and some even longer shots like Pods and Hogs who haven’t shown consistency yet.  We’re deep on the wings in some ways, but after Kuz and Brock it’s Garland and that’s it for surefire top 6 production.

On top of his 5v5 production, his underlying *defensive* stats last season were also fantastic and that matches the eye test from what I saw. He plays with an edge and draws a million penalties.

Considering our best bets to soak up heavy minutes will be Petey’s line head to head and Bleuger’s 4th line, Garland should be in an excellent position with Miller or Suter to add depth scoring 5v5 while putting in reliable two way play.  I honestly doubt we try and trade him since the OEL buyout opened up space and other contracts age out.

100% agree with you. I think people look at how he's been on the trade block as a sign he's useless, but I'd say it's a sign that he's the winger we have with the most value and thus easier to move (of course, moving anyone these days is tough).

Joshua - Suter - Garland 

is a sick 3rd line I'm hoping to see. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I might have to change my hot take this year to people actually appreciating Garland.  He’s easily our 3rd best winger (debatably 2nd based on how you see Brock.) After him its ACL injury Mikheyev, “never scored 40 points in a season” Beauvillier and some even longer shots like Pods and Hogs who haven’t shown consistency yet.  We’re deep on the wings in some ways, but after Kuz and Brock it’s Garland and that’s it for surefire top 6 production.

On top of his 5v5 production, his underlying *defensive* stats last season were also fantastic and that matches the eye test from what I saw. He plays with an edge and draws a million penalties.

Considering our best bets to soak up heavy minutes will be Petey’s line head to head and Bleuger’s 4th line, Garland should be in an excellent position with Miller or Suter to add depth scoring 5v5 while putting in reliable two way play.  I honestly doubt we try and trade him since the OEL buyout opened up space and other contracts age out.

I agree it's unfortunate that Garland is our 2nd/3rd/4th best winger. After how horrible we've been the last 5 or 6 years I personally find it odd that anyone would be defending any of these guys not named Kuzmenko though. That's like defending Myers because he was our third best defender. Big whoop. It's more of an indictment on how poor of a roster Benning complied than how good Garland is. It just simply hasn't been working period, and it's not Petterson, or Miller who aren't doing the job.

At least Beauvillier is expiring this year, Mikeyhev has size, speed, and strong PK ability. Boeser while I've not been impressed lately is a home grown talent with a year shorter contract. People are correct he gets a lot of PP points, but at the very least is a strong option there that pays some dividends.

If they can rejig the lines and Garland can find year long chemistry and production in the top 6 great, but I just don't understand the need from some folks to force him into a line-up at all costs when they clearly couldn't compete with the upper half of the league. For me it's about the Canucks first and foremost, not Garland. Maybe he can be a solution here but so far he hasn't been, and he has the worst contract out of our top 4 wingers.

Edited by Gawdzukes

On 9/1/2023 at 7:11 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d sign Nick Ritchie and then move Joshua up to the 3rd line. 

Kuzmenko      Pettersson     Mikheyev 

Höglander      Miller              Boeser 

Joshua           Suter              Garland 

Ritchie           Blueger           Podkolzin 

Pearson 

This would be more like a Rick Tocchet team. The 4th line can grind down the opposition. And we have 2 legit fighters in Ritchie and Joshua. 

Beauviller can be waived and sent to Abby. He doesn’t fit on the 3rd or 4th line. And I’d rather go with Höglander on the 2nd line.  Di Guseppe can also be waived. 

I could see Mikheyev being LTIR option for cap reasons to start the season. Lots of hints out there that he’s not ready for camp at 100%.

• Cheers 2