The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) VGK expected to sign Max Comtois to PTO

RWJC

Vegas Golden Knights Expected To Sign Max Comtois To PTO

September 1st, 2023 at 1:47pm CST • By Josh Erickson

The Vegas Golden Knights are reportedly set to offer winger Max Comtois a professional tryout contract, as initially reported by BPM Sports’ Marc-Olivier Beaudoin. The former Anaheim Duck did not receive a qualifying offer from the team before the June deadline, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Before the Ducks cut their 2017 second-round pick loose, Comtois had posted 38 goals, 48 assists and 86 points in 210 games. The 24-year-old broke out to lead the Ducks in scoring during the shortened 2020-21 campaign, recording 16 goals and 33 points in 55 games. Things haven’t gone nearly as well in the two seasons since, however. In the 116 games following that breakout year, he’s recorded just 35 points despite more than twice the games played while posting an abysmal -37 rating. However, the latter is more the fault of the team around him than poor individual defensive effort.

The Quebec-born forward plays with an edge to his game and has a solid finishing touch with a career 12.8 shooting percentage. However, consistency and play-driving remain issues, and he’ll need to demonstrate that he’s made some strides in those areas during camp to earn a deal with Vegas.

Should he crack the Golden Knights roster, there would be some opportunity for him in their top nine. He’ll compete directly with Paul Cotter, Pavel Dorofeyev and Brett Howdenfor a left-wing spot alongside William Karlssonor Chandler Stephenson on the team’s second or third line. There’s solid potential for his offensive totals to climb if he ends up on the same line with Stephenson and captain Mark Stone.

Theoretically, the Golden Knights could sign Comtois to a one-year deal up to around the $1.5MM mark and remain cap-compliant to start the season. CapFriendly projects Vegas with $851,653 in cap space entering the season with a full roster and Robin Lehner on long-term injured reserve, so they’d need to assign a player to the minors regardless of cap considerations to sign Comtois.

• There it is 1

I don't understand what the holdup is with the whole WJC fiasco. Comtois would be signed by now if he were cleared. There needs to be more push from fans and media and I imagine the NHLPA because there are guys waiting for contracts until all this bs is resolved. And honestly F the guys who are under contract who are implicated. Arrest those POS and their teams terminate their contracts creating capspace the holy grail. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

I don't want Comtois until he is cleared. If he's cleared absolutely bring him in. Too bad we can't terminate Ian Cole. I feel like PA took a Neely on that one. The dude is scummy he may or may not be a criminal but he's still scummy. 

Edited by TopChed

4 minutes ago, TopChed said:

I don't want Comtois until he is cleared. If he's cleared absolutely bring him in. Too bad we can't terminate Cole Smith. I feel like PA took a Neely on that one. The dude is scummy he may or may not be a criminal but he's still scummy. 

So is Kane.

No one says a thing after he started scoring. :lol:

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Sylas said:

They don’t need more toughness, we do. 

Nick Ritchie

Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Dec 5 1995 -- Orangeville, ONT 
[27 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.03 -- Weight 236 [191 cm/107 kg]

I would really like Canucks to offer big Ritchie a PTO contract we could use his size and toughness against some much bigger teams in the west.
Tocchet would be okay with Ritchie 6'3, 236 lbs crashing havoc.. Please PTO toughness $750,000 -1 yr show me more...
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Nick Ritchie

Left Wing -- shoots L
[27 yrs. ago] 

I would really like Canucks to offer big Ritchie a PTO contract we could use his size and toughness against some much bigger teams in the west.
Tocchet would be okay with Ritchie 6'3, 236 lbs crashing havoc.. Please PTO toughness $750,000 -1 yr show me more...

Only problem is he often disappears for stretches and is prone to the occasional brain fart. As a rotational 4th liner until he proves he can play or be utilized consistently under Tocchet, I wouldn’t mind at all. Good call.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Nick Ritchie

Left Wing -- shoots L
[27 yrs. ago] 

Agreed PTO for the toughness would be a good call.  If we could find a way to move Beauvillier and Pearson is healthy, we'd probably still have some cap to sign a 13th depth physical forward who could be useful in limited doses (not quite as exclusive of a role as an enforcer but good to have extra sandpaper available).  Then again, hopefully Pearson can be the defensive stability on the 3rd line and PK so we could perhaps play Ritchie with Joshua as a banging forward duo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Nick Ritchie

Left Wing -- shoots L
[27 yrs. ago] 

I’ve thought about him as well. Good call. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Nick Ritchie

Left Wing -- shoots L
[27 yrs. ago] 

I’d sign Nick Ritchie and then move Joshua up to the 3rd line. 

Kuzmenko      Pettersson     Mikheyev 

Höglander      Miller              Boeser 

Joshua           Suter              Garland 

Ritchie           Blueger           Podkolzin 

Pearson 

This would be more like a Rick Tocchet team. The 4th line can grind down the opposition. And we have 2 legit fighters in Ritchie and Joshua. 

Beauviller can be waived and sent to Abby. He doesn’t fit on the 3rd or 4th line. And I’d rather go with Höglander on the 2nd line.  Di Guseppe can also be waived. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pearson 

This would be more like a Rick Tocchet team. The 4th line can grind down the opposition. And we have 2 legit fighters in Ritchie and Joshua. 

Beauviller can be waived and sent to Abby. He doesn’t fit on the 3rd or 4th line. And I’d rather go with Höglander on the 2nd line.  Di Guseppe can also be waived. 

You can’t waive PDG due to the Aquilini rule of rostering at least 1 Italian. 

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pearson 

Why would we waive beauvullier and keep boeser and garland?

Beauvillier was the one that actually showed chemistry with petey and Miller.  

Its as if the posters here dont even watch the games.

15 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Why would we waive beauvullier and keep boeser and garland?

Beauvillier was the one that actually showed chemistry with petey and Miller.  

Its as if the posters here dont even watch the games.

Beauvillier was demoted to the 3rd line last year.  You would know this if you actually watched the games...

• Haha 2