The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] forum closure

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Interesting

This is spreading

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-team-shuts-down-popular-website-fan-forums-fans-lament-the-loss/wcm/5491405e-cd47-470a-969e-c1e957aac515

And fancy that. 

And from time to time, senior executives of the team would push to shut down the message boards, often because they’d come across a thread critical of the team, but the team’s digital staff always pushed back, saying that the community it provided, shown in the high number of page views

It was cool to see shoutouts to old posters like Phuser and kmad. Haven’t heard from them in a long time. I hope they’re doing well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

And from time to time, senior executives of the team would push to shut down the message boards, often because they’d come across a thread critical of the team, but the team’s digital staff always pushed back, saying that the community it provided, shown in the high number of page views

Stupid execs.

They had a single spot they could go, to gauge public/fan involvement. Track how the public was responding to various issues.

Find out if a fan had a valid complaint that should be fixed; or get ideas from fans on how things could be improved, be it team or arena in game experience wise.

Nope- some ONE said a bad thing- shut out over 100,000 people.

Now charge the boss for needing  hire companies to do polls and research to see how the public perceives the product.

F in bone heads.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Nowadays I just don’t have the energy to really watch and invest my time in hockey. I have my first child on the way and a lot of my focus is on that and family. i joined these forums as a 17 year old back in 2012 and now leavinf these boards as a grown ass man. went through a lot over the years and ive always found myself around these boards even when life has thrown curveballs at me. 

I was thinking of joining the new forums but i think this is it for me for now. im just not on the internet as much and i dont find myself having the energy to engage in meaningful discussions.

it really was a pleasure being on these forums. Truly. I will miss so many of you.

My bold prediction is you’ll be back.

anyway, all the best in the future, at 28 life is just about to begin

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Stupid execs.

They had a single spot they could go, to gauge public/fan involvement. Track how the public was responding to various issues.

Find out if a fan had a valid complaint that should be fixed; or get ideas from fans on how things could be improved, be it team or arena in game experience wise.

Nope- some ONE said a bad thing- shut out over 100,000 people.

Now charge the boss for needing  hire companies to do polls and research to see how the public perceives the product.

F in bone heads.

I don’t know if it’s true or not, but when he was a Canuck, I heard Matt Cooke’s wife read the forums, saw posts critical of his turtling and tried to have this place shut down.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Citizen Erased said:

I don’t know if it’s true or not, but when he was a Canuck, I heard Matt Cooke’s wife read the forums, saw posts critical of his turtling and tried to have this place shut down.

She should have spent her energy on trying to get Matt not to turtle.

Do the crime, pay the fine.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

42 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

As I continue to explore my options as to how I will express my Canuck fandom in the digital sphere, I find myself reflecting with some sadness that in all of our time here together we’ve never had a Cup win to celebrate. I am still wary of this new management regime and basically now my hopes for a Canuck Stanley Cup win really centers on my dad….the guy who got me introduced to hockey and the Canucks in the late 70’s. My dad is getting older, seemingly quicker with each year. I really want him to see a Cup win.

Sorry for the melancholy vibes, but this forum’s shuttering just has me in a bit of a reflective malaise in regards to the (often painful) history of this club. I probably do need to set myself up at the new place for Canuck talk. That will help. But also, I’m going to be checking out bunch of training camp days over in Victoria. That should also help. Seeing the boys on the ice always has the effect of instilling some semblance of optimism.

But still, what a bummer this has been.

I hope you will join. You have been one of my most appreciated posters over the years. Initial bias no doubt due to your username from my favourite books, but you always seem to have intelligent things to say and are appreciated. 

Same with @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME  

Hope you both migrate to the new site. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Sativika said:

Wow........Bummer of the highest magnitude. Really. It truly is.  Guess I'll be hitting those other forums suggested in this thread. Well, we got till the end of this month and then it's sign off for good.

I presume it's just the forum that's going away. Canucks TV and such are still going' on, right??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

The new place is, literally, almost exactly the same

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1