The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

1 hour ago, Neversummer said:

That was a wake up call.  Hopefully it scared the Chinese investors and housing prices drop.

Haha.

I didn't feel it. Was playing FIFA 16 around that time.

Edited by Odd.

6 hours ago, Outsiders said:

My son and I went running outside thinking a bomb went off like you said, loud and house shook. It was over like that tho. 5 seconds max. TBH an earthquake didn't even come to mind because they are rare. Thankfully our neighbour came outside in less then 15 seconds yelling to us it was an earthquake. 

An earthquake didn't come to mind because they are rare but a bomb did? Cause they are more common? 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, JV77 said:

Running out is what I would do in a major earthquake.

Same here. I know they say to hop under a table, but in my house I can get outside faster than I can get under a table. Also, if it's the Big One I don't want to be in my house for many minutes. My house shakes with strong wind. I don't want to know what will happen to it when the Big One shows up. 

I was playing some 007 on the N64 with some friends on the island.  Only really felt the couch roll and wave side to side.  I think as I noticed it.. it only lasted for what felt like 3-4 seconds.  Heard it was more at my place though stuff was falling off our bed side table.

My partner told me that the entire house shifted side to side.  Apparently the focus was close by.  CBC says people in north east part of victoria felt homes shifting and ppl were falling off their feet.  I live kinda central Victoria.

Edited by Rush17

35 minutes ago, Qwags said:

My family was thinking of moving to the Vancouver area. Are earthquakes common around there?

Short answer: relative to other parts of the country, yes.

Long answer: the Pacific Northwest region is vulnerable to earthquakes because the Juan De Fuca plate is being subducted under the North American plate just off the coast:

Cascadia_earthquake_sources.png

Earthquakes with similar magnitude to the Indian Ocean earthquake can happen here, so keep that in mind if you want to move.