The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

27 minutes ago, gurn said:

I could basically cut and paste my most recent post in the BC Lions thread, 90% of it would be applicable.

Need a better stadium as this one is too big, so the atmosphere isn't great; though it is better than Lions games. I don't know if the Caps get revenue from the concessions, I know the Lions don't.

With both organizations there seems to be no press about an up and coming younger guy that will be pushing for a front line job.

Need a grass field, but the Feds and Province shut down the Waterfront proposal. 

Need a new voice/person in charge that people will know and respect.

Need to spend more, and spend it smarter.

I saw Man City at Empire Field .

Amazing, I was planning to be a real WC supporter. I have such a good time in a beautiful setting. 

Been going to less and less over the last few years, not a single game this year, despite free tickets being offered.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

In soccer what is the equivalent of a hockey GM, and who is that guy with the Caps?  

With the Whitecaps it's always been a trifecta of Anderson, Lenarduzzi, and Lewis, with input from the head coach. There hasn't really been the equivalent of a GM.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I saw Man City at Empire Field .

Amazing, I was planning to be a real WC supporter. I have such a good time in a beautiful setting. 

Been going to less and less over the last few years, not a single game this year, despite free tickets being offered.

BC Place needs to be imploded.  It’s a cavernous POS.  It’s got zero character or charm.  Just a brutal place to watch a game ;soccer and football) 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

BC Place needs to be imploded.  It’s a cavernous POS.  It’s got zero character or charm.  Just a brutal place to watch a game ;soccer and football) 

Good luck with that, the provincial government spent $400 plus  millputting on a new sun roof and renovating, and will not want to walk away from the big, and growing bigger as the years go by, lemon.

Edited by gurn
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

“These are exciting times in MLS with the league growing at an unprecedented rate both on and off the pitch,” said Jeff Mallett, Whitecaps FC co-owner. “We are committed to taking the 'Caps to the next level, to being championship contenders. We’ve invested heavily in our soccer operations, from facilities to coast-to-coast soccer programming for boys and girls. Bringing in a sporting director is the next step to take the club forward.”

That's good.

Now, maybe spend a bit more on the players?   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

These clowns collectively probably have in the ballpark of what the Aquilini empire has in terms of money.  ZERO excuse not to spend money unless of course they’re only in it to line their pockets.

I think you’d see a drastic change (in a positive way) if the Aquilinis bought the team.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

We will never get any good, cause anyone good doesnt wanna play on artificial turf ...we lost a few already once they found out about bc place, if management are serious in making the whitecaps great, they will need to dig into there pockets and build a new stadium with real surface, and only than will we attract some talent....god even the bc lions could work out a deal and they both use it

30 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

We will never get any good, cause anyone good doesnt wanna play on artificial turf ..

More like if anybody gets any good, we'll "sell" them for transfer fees & ownership will pocket the money.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

More like if anybody gets any good, we'll "sell" them for transfer fees & ownership will pocket the money.

Sad but true ;( i havent seen ownership spend any forms of money for any good talent since i can remember .....all we get our value village talent, which 80% of the time dont work out :( hard to be positive, but with our ownership ....rages alot of us , wish we had better ownership but we stuck with greedy eggheads

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Sad but true ;( i havent seen ownership spend any forms of money for any good talent since i can remember .....all we get our value village talent, which 80% of the time dont work out :( hard to be positive, but with our ownership ....rages alot of us , wish we had better ownership but we stuck with greedy eggheads

Worst part of it is, as I posted earlier....the Caps owners aren’t poor.   Collectively, they have a fair bit of $$$$$.

4 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

if management are serious in making the whitecaps great, they will need to dig into there pockets and build a new stadium with real surface,

They tried and the Feds and Provincial government got in the way. :(

I said it before and I'll say it again. The Whitecaps had the right idea with Waterfront Stadium. They need a soccer specific stadium with a grass field. 

30,000 seats, expandable to 45,000. BC Place is a waste of taxpayer money. The BC equivalent of Gila River Arena. 

2 hours ago, gurn said:

They tried and the Feds and Provincial government got in the way. :(

And the local yokels near Gastown. Who think soccer fans will ruin their real estate values, but having drug addicts and people with issues on the downtown Eastside is perfectly acceptable. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/19/2019 at 11:50 AM, Squamfan said:

i believe its dos santos. i think in soccer the manger selects the players

dos santos is in charge of bringing in players, but he can only do that with the budget the owner give him, so with our owners, they basically told him to shop at value village instead of say Giorgio Armani :p

but yes, its up to the manager , but he can only sign if owners give the go ahead, but ours are cheap bastads, so doubt we will ever get anyone good

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2019 at 11:50 AM, Squamfan said:

i believe its dos santos. i think in soccer the manger selects the players

So let’s get a friggin’ goal scorer.  And a grass field too, while we’re at it.  Tell BC Place to piss off.  

On 8/19/2019 at 2:02 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I said it before and I'll say it again. The Whitecaps had the right idea with Waterfront Stadium. They need a soccer specific stadium with a grass field. 

30,000 seats, expandable to 45,000. BC Place is a waste of taxpayer money. The BC equivalent of Gila River Arena. 

I believe the Waterfront Stadium was only expected to have like 20k max.