Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

What Coaches Are Available?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#31 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

Ted NOLAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#32 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,640 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

having crow back wudnt be bad

It's funny that people who claim AV was "outcoached" would want Crow back in Vancouver.

If you want an example of poor decision making by a coach, one of the best examples I can think of is Crawford's refusal to change the match-up of the WCE with Minny's top line in what was the Canucks' best chance at a Cup before last year.

Vancouver got destroyed in that matchup, but Crawford refused to change it, rivalling the play of Cloutier as the reason for that upset loss, IMO.

I've said it before: the only candidate I'd be interested in is Larry Robinson and I just don't see that happening.

Maybe if the Wings fired Babcock........oh wait, Ken Holland isn't a 14 year-old who knows zero about being a professional hockey coach.

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 23 April 2012 - 10:19 AM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#33 Mad_Duck

Mad_Duck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

what about brent sutter or dan balysma ( hes getting fired for sure)

***You forgot about Babcock.
(He had an even worse playoff than Blysma, so he's certainly gone too)
or that peenus with ears, Claude Julien. He's even won the cup!!!
I'm hoping he's available by Thursday***

^ all :bigblush: :bigblush: :bigblush: , obviously.

edit: except for the part about Julien being out of work.
I put the F U in Fun!

Posted Image

#34 Mad_Duck

Mad_Duck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Maybe if the Wings fired Babcock........oh wait, Ken Holland isn't a 14 year-old who knows zero about being a professional hockey coach.

I was typin' while you were replyin'
I put the F U in Fun!

Posted Image

#35 NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

what about brent sutter or dan balysma ( hes getting fired for sure)

No Sutters, Please.
Go Canucks Go!!!

#36 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

MG needs to give him some higher calibre weapons.

If I was AV I would be a wee bit peeved that I keep getting constantly asked to resurrect players like Bitz, Booth, Pahlsson, Burrows, Manny, Kesler and Raymond without quality backup.

Don't get me wrong I like most of them but MG should have gone out and got top 6 insurance if he was serious about the SC this year.

Manny, Kes and Raymond could have been expected to be out of sync. Bitz was broken when we got him and Booth was languishing in Florida's 4th line getting 4th line minutes and looking like he has proved............................. a $4.2M 3rd or 4th liner. (He needs his game overhauled or that's what he is)

Pahlsson was lying dormant, Kassian was no where near ready and Gragnani is a coaching "reboot." I mean, no wonder this new Chief Scout has been hired............MG's present bunch are stitching him up and he's passing it down the line to AV.

None of that looks like credentials for an optimistic SC run to me.

MG should have brought in a quality all round rough tough sniper at the start of the season AND a big skilled kick ass D.

My point is does anybody seriously think these guys were going to light up this year..........would Boston, Philly or Chicago have signed them. They will I'm sure, most of them, come good next year but that was not what we needed. I have every faith in MG but I think he has been ill advised.

Edited by Bodee, 23 April 2012 - 10:33 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#37 'NucK™

'NucK™

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

the crow knows all
Posted Image

#38 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,226 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

If the Canucks fire Alain Vigneault, the best coach available will be Alain Vigneault.

CDCGML Commissioner/Winnipeg Jets <---Click For Roster!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Support Canuck Place Childrens Hospice - http://www.canuckplace.org/

This is what hockey should be. A lot of chances, a lot of hitting, no cheap shots, no chirping after whistles."

#39 Biznow

Biznow

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

starting to wonder if Arniel was brought back into the organization so he would be available to return to his role as coach of the farm, and MacT comes up to be head coach in the event they do decide to go with a coaching change. (not saying its going to happen, but I think they're leaving their options open)

Posted Image~Biznow

#40 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

How does the draft order work if you're first in the NHL and get knocked out in the first round? do you end up 20-25th?

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#41 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

You can't blame the defensive end screw ups on coaching. The stupid turnovers or lack of moving the puck out of our defensive end through the N zone into the offensive end. This is not a coaching problem. This is fundamental hockey skills. If your D is that uncomfortable when being pressured as to cough up the puck this is not a coaching issue. How many times did I see the old familiar I got it you take it play in front of our own net? Like I said this is fundamental defense. This is stuff you learn in Peewee hockey. Our defensive core is week, not their fault in my opinion, they play to their ability and its their ability that is lacking! It has nothing to do with Heart or laziness etc... It has everything to do with ability and skill. Our D does not have this. It seems that every team that is doing really well in this playoffs this year has a D that is stepping it up blocking shots and contributing in both ends. This really can't be said for Canucks. The best thing the Canucks management can do in the off season is secure a number 1 D man one that can make a difference.

#42 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,846 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

How does the draft order work if you're first in the NHL and get knocked out in the first round? do you end up 20-25th?

we are 26th
30-cup winner
29-cup loser
28-semifinal loser with most points in regular season
27-semifinal loser with least points in regular season
26-15 Remaining division winners, then the rest of the field, ranked in decending order of points.

#43 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Bob Hartley? his cup was more a product of a super stacked all-star team than any coaching he provided.

That's almost what we have now, an all-star team... almost...

And I love the Scott Pilgram sig!

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#44 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,846 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

That's almost what we have now, an all-star team... almost...

And I love the Scott Pilgram sig!

We're missing a borque, and 5 players with more than 60 points (we had 2 this season, and just 3 last season)

and thanks, i'm really proud of it. I left so much room between scott's starting position and the kings logo because it was SUPPOSED to have 4 logos over the course of the playoffs... sigh...

Edited by avelanch, 23 April 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#45 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

I don;t really think its a coaching issue. We have bean beaten in the last 2 playoff series by bigger, stronger hockey clubs that best suit tight playoff hockey. Good big men will beat good little men almost all the time. LA wasa bigger, stronger and just as fast as we were...with better balance on all 4 lines ...we got beat by better playoff teams
...that having been said...Sutter got LA to playoffs with a change of strategy..and found the way to beat us..

#46 yes we can nucks

yes we can nucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

No, we need change to address coaching weaknesses.

What 'coaching weaknesses' are you talking about? You might not like his lines or who he plays but that doesn't make a coaching weakness. He can only do what he can with what he's given. Is it his fault that players, even his most reliable dmen Hamhuis and Edler, made critical errors that cost the games? Is it his fault that his secondary scoring disappeared at the worst time?

If we don't change AV, AV needs to change. Stop relying of freaking Mason Raymond, Higgins and Hansen. Yes they are great during the season, but they are not the one that will make us win the cup. Young talent like Hodgson, Kassian, Gragnani, Jensen, Schroeder will. AV doesn't give them a chance.

Play Schroeder and Kassian for 14-18 minutes during the regular season. Even if we loose a couple of game and they make mistake...as long as we make the playoffs.

If they are great during the regular season (not including Raymond of course), why mess with it? They were good enough to help us win the President's trophy again. It was reasonable to expect they'd do the job in the playoffs. Hindsight is 20/20. Who would have thought the secondary scoring (lines 2 to 4) would dry up?
And it's debatable whether the young players could make a difference in the pressure cooker of the playoffs.

Edited by yes we can nucks, 23 April 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#47 Nicklasjensen46

Nicklasjensen46

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Ron wilson and brent sutter. No thank you.

Crow-Been there done that.

Cunneyworth would be alright. Same with Mac T( but i see him more as a development coach)

My 2012 Canucks
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hodgson
Sturm Malhotra Hansen
Sammuelson Lapiere Oreskovich

Hamhuis Bieska
Edler Salo
Tanev Ballard
Luongo Schnieder

#48 »ғʀᴇsϟᴘʀıɴcᴇ«

»ғʀᴇsϟᴘʀıɴcᴇ«

Mel Gibson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Dave Tippet

Posted Image

#49 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

I'll be OK with any list that doesn't include Craig (Mac T) MacTavish. Just can't see a guy that HATED the Canucks for as long as he did standing behind our bench.

:)

Stranger things have happened. Dennis Potvin briefly coached the Rangers.

#50 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

"My cell phone is always on"

Posted Image

Him and Luongo should be interesting :lol:

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#51 inder19

inder19

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Dallas Eakins would be an interesting choice for coach. Younger guy, Captained the Moose in 03-04. A team which had Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa. Apparently he is thought of very highly in the hockey world.

#52 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Marc Crawford. He always had this team close to taking that next step, just didn't have the goaltending. I don't think that's a problem anymore. I say bring him back.

I know most people are thinking Mac T. But something about him just doesn't feel right. But we'll see

I agree I would take Marc back 100% this guy does know the game and does know how to coach, especially offensively and what this team is really missing, a coach who knows how to get his players to SCORE. Oh and a coach who knows how to motivate his players when they need to be, not just standing there and ignoring his players time and time again when he should be getting under their skin a little to get their butts moving, and having players step up when Daniel was out.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#53 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

I agree I would take Marc back 100% this guy does know the game and does know how to coach, especially offensively and what this team is really missing, a coach who knows how to get his players to SCORE. Oh and a coach who knows how to motivate his players when they need to be, not just standing there and ignoring his players time and time again when he should be getting under their skin a little to get their butts moving, and having players step up when Daniel was out.

Just to elaborate, you're saying that he's a coach that knows how to get his players to SCORE? Please, I'm sure that there are 30 NHL coaches that would like to know how to do this. Don't forget, Marc Crawford went with Bourgue over Gretzky in the Olympics, probably his worst ever coaching decision, and certainly one of the worst coaching decisions ever.

#54 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

BRING BACK THE CROW!

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

#55 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

I think Gillis could surprise us with some unconventional hiring that ends being wildly successful. I am thinking of some junior coach we were never expecting.
Posted Image

#56 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

What 'coaching weaknesses' are you talking about? You might not like his lines or who he plays but that doesn't make a coaching weakness. He can only do what he can with what he's given. Is it his fault that players, even his most reliable dmen Hamhuis and Edler, made critical errors that cost the games? Is it his fault that his secondary scoring disappeared at the worst time?

D-men errors, no not fault. Secondary scoring, yes. The offense was one and done, he's had a problem keeping pure offensive players other than the Sedins in the lineup and he struggles at making adjustments.

I've been at this for a long time and getting exhausted but a few of the problems are:
- little amount of trust with young players
- inflexible system that can be exposed
- not being able to keep pure offensive players in his lineup which influences the GM to get rid of them
- slow or non-existent adjustments

A lot of this stuff has to do with the long term and a pattern over time, not just the latest series. I can't honestly say that the Canucks were completely robbed and had excellent chances. There was lots of one and done and perimeter chances.

Also the amount of energy the Canucks put out didn't match the value they get out of it. The Kings were very good at focusing on D, clearing the middle and then picking their spots on offense. Players like Kopitar could still be ok at playing D while LA's 4th line sparked offensively as well.

With the Canucks I hear excuse after excuse. I think there's no doubt that there's coaching weaknesses. If you tell me with a straight face that no other coach could come in and do any better then I think you're mistaken.

This year is an excellent example of how coaches came in and improved teams that had close to the same talent. Hitchcock, Paul MacLean, Dale Hunter, and Sutter are great examples. The same players have improved game plans and a good sense why their gameplan works. If the top team in the league has a gameplan that relies purely on effort but no real direction or coordination to aid that effort then I do question the coaching.

If I can see that Alex Semin gives it up on D, Ovi is ok with being benched, Kopitar can commit to a defensive system or that Spezza can come back from the dead, then I do think there are better coaching options out there compared to the same excuses I hear in Canuck land.

I think the players done a lot of what they could do and from my years of watching a lot of sports, not just hockey, I find that teams lag either because the system is unsustainable, the system doesn't work or the coach is a jerk. I don't think the coach is a jerk but I do think it's one of the first two.

Remember that the Canucks almost blew a 3-0 lead to the Hawks last year, including suffering two embarrassing blowouts. The same ways Boston shut down the Canucks last year occured again this year.

AV does the best with what he has because he puts himself in that corner by not using his young players and encouraging snipers to snipe. A sniper who can score a few goals and/or free up space for other players I think is just as good as having a goalie bail you out for multiple mistakes. But if you can't teach that player proper D or have a system that's inflexible to utilize them without them bieng a liability then you don't have the Hodgsons or Grabners who are more likely to be gamebreakers than the Raymonds or Hansens. If the 4th line isn't used then of course the top players are more likely to get injured.

I'm pretty much done with this. If the Canucks organization wants to stay in denial then that's their call but as a hockey fan I just find that the team is leaving potential on the table. I don't feel in a lot of cases over the last 6 years that they gave everything they have, not just with on-ice hustle and effort but with smarts and strategy.

AV is pleased with the hustle to work twice as hard as normal to get perimeter shots. If I were LA I'd want them to burn themselves out then expose them later when they're tired. If I can see this then I think the Canucks nshould be able to as well.

#57 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Just to elaborate, you're saying that he's a coach that knows how to get his players to SCORE? Please, I'm sure that there are 30 NHL coaches that would like to know how to do this. Don't forget, Marc Crawford went with Bourgue over Gretzky in the Olympics, probably his worst ever coaching decision, and certainly one of the worst coaching decisions ever.

BRING BACK THE CROW
Posted Image

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.