The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

Now that Kassian's essentially played the same amount of games in the AHL this season as he did last, I thought I'd have a look at the numbers to see how exactly he's "developing" (generous term).

WARNING: this ain't pretty

2011-12: 30 GP, 15 G, 26 P, +4, 94 SOG, 31 PIM

2012-13: 28 GP, 6 G, 18 P, -1, 72 SOG, 59 PIM

By my calculations, this amounts to the following data comparatives:

• 60% year-over-year reduction in goals
  • 31% year-over-year reduction in points
  • 18% year-over-year reduction in SOG/game
  • 90% year-over-year increase in PIMs.

And, to be honest, the two things that are of the most concern to me are the decline in SOG and the increase in PIM. There's really no explanation for getting less SOG as a 22 year-old AHL sophomore than as a 21 year-old AHL rookie. And this SOG figure is even inflated, as Kass did have 7 SOG last game, bringing up his average significantly.

And while it's nice that he does seem willing to throw the body, at times, and drop the gloves, at times, I really hope that we didn't trade Cody Hodgson for a bottom-six goon that will be lucky to get 5 - 10 goals per year in limited minutes. I'm beginning to wonder if Kassian has a bit of "Kyle Beach" in him; capable of so much, too stupid to realize it and in the penalty box way, way too much.

Let's not forget that Kassian was hand held by the Sedin's in the off-season to try and get his training habits in shape (not a good sign), and even went on to be a healthy scratch in 1 (or more, I'm not sure) game, also (clearly) not a good sign.

Who else is concerned?

Only been 3 games, but he's looking pretty good I would say. He seems to be a team player and becoming a fan favorite slowly but surly.

Now you can hate the trade that brought him, but maybe not hope for Kassian to fail to justify your anger anymore?

Guest Gumballthechewy

This could be the next "Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?" if Kassian manages to keep up the intensity. I only worry because he's usually inconsistent. We shall see.

Well he has been a little 'meh' tonight.

Aside from that goal he hasn't really done much.

Well he has been a little 'meh' tonight.

Aside from that goal he hasn't really done much.

But it was a pretty nice goal... :)

I would agree that he had a fairly quiet night compared to some of the previous games. He had a few good physical shifts, and got some Ducks focused on him rather than his linemates.

On the whole, I was happy with him.

regards,

G.

Now that Kassian's essentially played the same amount of games in the AHL this season as he did last, I thought I'd have a look at the numbers to see how exactly he's "developing" (generous term).

WARNING: this ain't pretty

2011-12: 30 GP, 15 G, 26 P, +4, 94 SOG, 31 PIM

2012-13: 28 GP, 6 G, 18 P, -1, 72 SOG, 59 PIM

By my calculations, this amounts to the following data comparatives:

• 60% year-over-year reduction in goals
  • 31% year-over-year reduction in points
  • 18% year-over-year reduction in SOG/game
  • 90% year-over-year increase in PIMs.

And, to be honest, the two things that are of the most concern to me are the decline in SOG and the increase in PIM. There's really no explanation for getting less SOG as a 22 year-old AHL sophomore than as a 21 year-old AHL rookie. And this SOG figure is even inflated, as Kass did have 7 SOG last game, bringing up his average significantly.

And while it's nice that he does seem willing to throw the body, at times, and drop the gloves, at times, I really hope that we didn't trade Cody Hodgson for a bottom-six goon that will be lucky to get 5 - 10 goals per year in limited minutes. I'm beginning to wonder if Kassian has a bit of "Kyle Beach" in him; capable of so much, too stupid to realize it and in the penalty box way, way too much.

Let's not forget that Kassian was hand held by the Sedin's in the off-season to try and get his training habits in shape (not a good sign), and even went on to be a healthy scratch in 1 (or more, I'm not sure) game, also (clearly) not a good sign.

Who else is concerned?

No one? STFU

Agreed. But, managed to contribute.

He was not flashy but he did get in the face of Allen and Souray early, the Ducks two tough defencemen, and let them know he was there for them .. that creates more room for the speedy guys like Raymond even when Kass is not on the ice .. he is a factor just by being available .. plus he threw a few hard body checks ..

Does anyone else feel that Kassians IQ without the puck doesn't seem that great? Feels like he's floating in the wrong areas most of the time.

Not really. It's just that his game is not what we're used to seeing. He can score and make plays, and he does both but he also has an intimidation factor to utilize. That means making hits then staying near his check to keep them distracted. So sometimes he's busy throwing off someone's game and isn't directly involved in the play. It had a measurable effect in letting JS, MayRay and the Sedins get some breathing room. We just haven't had anyone who can do that in pretty much forever but it's time well invested. We have plenty of guys who can put up points given the space.

Does anyone else feel that Kassians IQ without the puck doesn't seem that great? Feels like he's floating in the wrong areas most of the time.

Sarcasm?

If he was in the 'wrong area' he sure made up for it by making that difficult angle shot look easy.

I think he showed very good hockey sense as an even younger player last last year - playing with the Sedins, it will only grow, as will his confidence, and his composure. I think AV is playing Kassian in exactly the right circumstances - Kassian in this role is developing in the balanced way that he should - his skilled game is as vital as his physicality and aggressiveness.

Archived