The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schroeder or Ebbett?

-Vintage Canuck-

Who would you choose to replace Kesler?  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They both pretty much bring the same thing to the table at this point.

Ebbett has pretty much shown what his celiling is in the NHL, whereas Schroeder is just getting his chance.

I don't think either of them are second liners at this point, but I would go with Schroeder as a center on the 2a/2b line. Even if he's not part of this teams future, they've gotta start boosting his value. They're not doing that by keeping him from playing.

This is the third line c position in a shortened season with the second line demolished,already.

One candidate has played 2c with Getzlaf and Perry and one has never played an NHL game.

I agree there is a necessity to slot Schroeder in for all the progressive reasons but with the lockout scenario and now both Booth and Kesler out the conclusion seems all but a foregone conclusion.

Schroeder will get fair time and probably see a few NHL games for the experience.

Ebbett is a veteran,can play/has played all three forward positions and has hundreds of games of professional experience under his belt,including second round playoff duties.

With the given roster I'd probably use Lapierre on the second myself. I'd put him between either Higgins and Hansen or Raymond and Burrows. I think he could handle the minutes if he's in such great shape. :bigblush:

To answer your question though, I'd give Schroeder the first shot at the third line spot with a couple good two way players on either side - either of the pairs above I think give him a good chance to be successful. However I haven't sat in AV's seat and watched the two this week, so my opinion is based upon the boost I think young players can bring to a lineup with their energy and enthusiasm. I can imagine Schroeder'd be dying for the opportunity.

I'd also start by giving Kassian time with the twins, which I think would be good for his confidence, development, and to have that pushback presence on the ice with them, particularly after Daniel's injury. He's also the only natural RW on the roster other than Hansen, with top 9/6/3 potential, so I say let it rip. If the Canucks really needed a goal they could always load back up with Burrows situationally. Again, deciding upon lines without knowing the opponent and matchups...

I think that could give the lineup as much balance as possible though with the absences of Kesler and Booth, and the two rookies would be matched up with solid veterans.

If they struggle, obviously we have other options, but I think they could both do well in those roles. Depending on the opponent, I might be tempted to use Ebbett in Lapierre's position as the 2nd C on the fourth line, particularly if the Canucks needed a bit more scoring from the bottom of the lineup as opposed to grit.

Schroeder centering the second - I don't know if I'd start him there - more pressure and tougher matchups - I'd reduce those by giving Lapierre the vote of confidence.

They both pretty much bring the same thing to the table at this point.

Ebbett has pretty much shown what his celiling is in the NHL, whereas Schroeder is just getting his chance.

I don't think either of them are second liners at this point, but I would go with Schroeder as a center on the 2a/2b line. Even if he's not part of this teams future, they've gotta start boosting his value. They're not doing that by keeping him from playing.

With the given roster I'd probably use Lapierre on the second myself. I'd put him between either Higgins and Hansen or Raymond and Burrows.

To answer your question though, I'd give Schroeder the first shot at the third line spot with a couple good two way players on either side, either of the pairs above I think give him a good chance to be successful.

I'd also start by giving Kassian time with the twins, which I think would be good for his confidence, development, and to have that pushback presence on the ice with them, particularly after Daniel's injury.

I think this would give the lineup as much balance as possible with the absences, and the two rookies would be matched up with solid veterans.

If they struggle, we have other options, but I think they'd both do well in those roles.

Schroeder centering the second - I don't know if I'd start him there - more pressure and tougher matchups - I'd reduce those by giving Lapierre the vote of confidence.

I think everybody wants J-Schroed over Ebbett ...

Ebbett's an older journeyman, Schroeder's a young 1st round pick by the Canucks with potential.

Easy to see what the fans would want. Not so easy to see what the team wants right now.

I hope it's Schroeder because I'd love to see what he can do on the ice. But AV and the coaching staff doesn't make decisions based on "what they'd love to see what a player can do". They make decisions based on who can play better right now.

I hope their answer to the latter question is "Schroeder". But I really don't know. I just hope it is Schroeder.

I've defended him just as much as anybody on here. All I meant is that the team might want to go a different direction and add more size to this team. Nodbody really knows.

They've been reluctant to give him a shot till now. Hopefully this is it for him, we'll have to wait and see. But if he does become expendable next season, he'll have more value having played this season.

Archived