The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Panthers can't afford Weiss, looking to trade him

typically you cannot buy players out mid-season only in the offseason and even in the offseason only at certain times. if the compliance buyouts are different and can be used midseason thats great.

Been trying to figure out why gillis is so bent against taking dead-money back in order to get what he wants. Does he think he is going to need his two compliance buyouts to keep the team competitive?

Revised offer

To Vancouver:

- Stephen Weiss

- Sean Bergenheim

- Alex Petrovic

- Condiditonal 2nd (If Weiss doesn't re-sign)

To Florida:

- Roberto Luongo

Bergenheim (2.75) + Weiss (3.1) , (combined 5.85) = Luongo (5.3) (in dollars) so they can afford to take on Luongo.

and for us Weiss is a rental and we could always move Bergenheim or keep him around as he is a useful playoff player. Then we get future assets with Petrovic, and the 2nd which beings extra value in this deep draft.

Garrison looks fine defensively but he is not being used as effectively in Van as he was last year in Florida. No one is setting him up for one timers the way Campbell did on the PP.......He does not look like a 16 goal scorer right now at all. I didn't say those guys play like crap, I said they don't bring the same game to Vancouver when they end up here, which unfortunately in all 3 of those cases is true so far.

As for Booth, he has not played up to expectations at all and looks pretty average with Kesler.

Of course we all hope that will change but my point wasn't about what we hope for......

I think Garrison has been put in a position to get a lot of shots at the net thus far, for whatever reason he has not gotten the production as of yet. I am not really worried about him, he is fairly solid away from the puck anyways, and the numbers will come.

Booth, am sorry and ive said it before lol, kind of a glorified Steve Bernier at least from what ive seen of him in Vancouver. Not very agile, sloppy shot. But would be happy if he atleast became a 20 goal scorer lol.

I think Weiss could end up in Toronto, Calgary, Detroit, Columbus, or Colorado.

Toronto because obvious reasons.

Calgary is looking for #1 centremen and Weiss could help them.

Detroit could use him on the second line, he would help bolster there weakened line up.

Columbus could go after him because of their new look team and by adding Weiss into the mix they then could have a very good top 6.

Colorado could go after Weiss if it doesn't work out with Ryan O'Reilly, Weiss is good alternative for Colorado to look at.

Mike Gillis has been pretty clear that he will not be trading Luongo unless it makes the team better NOW not just down the road. He has also stated he does not want to take a salary dump player in return.The Canucks are trying to win now so a good prospect as a throw in to a deal is something MG might want but not as the key player in the deal after the rentals leave or are bought out......

to be honest, he's not a 5 million dollar player. He was probably asking for Jamie Benn money, but he really isn't a Jamie Benn. He's a smart offensive player, he's not point per game good, he's not even all star good, he's more or a less a 2nd line centerman that happens to be on a weak team, which gave him the oppurtunity to play on a teams top center. He is good, but not the money he is asking for.

MIke Gillis should pass on this.

I dont know how much faith i'd put in this story. It's written by Bruce Garrioch.

Anyone who has followed his work knows its mostly what he dreams up. Seriously, nothing against him but he writes alot of stuff that never comes true.

Weiss doesn't help us now? Even Bergenheim helps no?

Petrovic and the 2nd don't help us down the road?

I got both aspects covered and unfortunately in order to even have Florida as a trade partner we will have to take salary back, whih is where Bergenheim comes in, and we could always trade him elsewhere as he does hold value around the league.

If they truly were trying to clear money; there should be a way to get them to eat 1/2 Campbell's cap and ship him here.

Ballard and Lou for Campbell, Weiss and ??? (insert some variation on a pick) Campbell with the balance of our D instantly brings all tools to the table; we'd be cup favorites IMO.

Florida saves $25 mill in actual salary dollars on Weiss and Campbell.

They had no problem spending cash last season. Likely, Weiss is going to make room for Huberdeau.

Archived