Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Speculation] Cox: Becoming difficult to imagine a scenario in which Kessel remains a Leaf.

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#91 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Agreed.

However, Colorado would definitely consider offering Stastny and a pick/prospect. Salaries would be a wash, and opens up a top-6 spot for O'Reilly (thus justifying the type of salary he is looking for).

I definitely thought of that. The only problem I see is Stastny is only something like 8 or 9 months younger than Phaneuf. Can't see Toronto giving up Phaneuf unless they're going to do an all out rebuild and in that case I'm inclined to think they'll want someone younger unless they're getting a first or blue chipper to go with him. I think Colorado will have a really hard time parting with that first especially after last years turned into Forsberg. Now if Toronto is interested in Siemens and Colorado is willing to give him up there might be something there.

rsz_avs.jpg

#92 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,232 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

I definitely thought of that. The only problem I see is Stastny is only something like 8 or 9 months younger than Phaneuf. Can't see Toronto giving up Phaneuf unless they're going to do an all out rebuild and in that case I'm inclined to think they'll want someone younger unless they're getting a first or blue chipper to go with him. I think Colorado will have a really hard time parting with that first especially after last years turned into Forsberg. Now if Toronto is interested in Siemens and Colorado is willing to give him up there might be something there.

I'd look at it as partly a strength-for-strength trade. Colorado has 3 very good centers, to the point where they can't afford to pay them all. At the same time, their D ain't getting it done. Whereas Toronto has needed a top center since Sundin bailed. Liles and Gunnarsson can hold the fort for this "tanking year", and going forward the D will be built around Gardiner and Reilly.

Also, if you want to change the culture in TO, trading the captain is a good place to start. And when your captain's personality is as questionable as Phaneuf, then you may have some addition by subtraction there. (I have nothing against Phaneuf personally, he's just the last guy I would put the C on.)

Lastly, Colorado would have to offer more than Stastny, so it would depend on the value of the other piece(s).
Posted Image

#93 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Kessel going back to last season now has 0 goals in the last 11 games.

1 in his last 16.

Ouch.

#94 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

I'd look at it as partly a strength-for-strength trade. Colorado has 3 very good centers, to the point where they can't afford to pay them all. At the same time, their D ain't getting it done. Whereas Toronto has needed a top center since Sundin bailed. Liles and Gunnarsson can hold the fort for this "tanking year", and going forward the D will be built around Gardiner and Reilly.

Also, if you want to change the culture in TO, trading the captain is a good place to start. And when your captain's personality is as questionable as Phaneuf, then you may have some addition by subtraction there. (I have nothing against Phaneuf personally, he's just the last guy I would put the C on.)

Lastly, Colorado would have to offer more than Stastny, so it would depend on the value of the other piece(s).

O'Reilly wouldn't be the best fit in Toronto unless they don't plan to retain Bozak. From what I understand, O'Reilly is a two-way centre and thus better suited for a second rather than top line role. Both Grabovski and Bozak are two-way centres. The Leafs need an elite point-producer to play on their top line.

If given the chance, I'm sure Nonis will offer the Sun and stars to Getzlaf. If that fails, he may target Roy and Ribeiro.

Edited by Mookie Wilson, 02 February 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#95 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

I thought everyone agreed on the first page this guy's an idiot and is talking out of his ass.

Yet here we are on page 4.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#96 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

Phil Kessel quote "Best hockey city in the world, the fans here are great", "I'm so excited to be here".

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup, 02 February 2013 - 09:59 PM.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#97 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

double post*

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup, 02 February 2013 - 09:59 PM.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#98 PartyTimeWithJeffCarter

PartyTimeWithJeffCarter

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

The guy had 82 points last season. He's off to a slow start and they already believe he shouldn't belong in Toronto? LOL LEAFS!

We should just offer them Raymond Ballard and a 1st. They're sure to accept haha
"Well I got a bad liver and broken heart,
I drunk me a river since you tore me apart
And I don't have a drinking problem, 'cept when I can't get a drink..." - Jeff Carter (probably)

#99 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

POPULAR

This was on Canucks Army's Graphic Comments today, too funny not to post:

"The Worst Lead In Hockey"

Posted Image

#100 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,232 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

O'Reilly wouldn't be the best fit in Toronto unless they don't plan to retain Bozak. From what I understand, O'Reilly is a two-way centre and thus better suited for a second rather than top line role. Both Grabovski and Bozak are two-way centres. The Leafs need an elite point-producer to play on their top line.

If given the chance, I'm sure Nonis will offer the Sun and stars to Getzlaf. If that fails, he may target Roy and Ribeiro.

I was talking about Paul Stastny. A Stastny + (?) for Phaneuf trade could benefit both teams. Would open up more icetime for O'Reilly as well, somewhat justifying offering him a higher contract.
Posted Image

#101 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

it only makes sense to cut ties from burke's regime if burke was no longer part of the leafs org, and if nonis wasn't his bestest friend in the whole wide world...

#102 Your New Coach Mr. Tippett

Your New Coach Mr. Tippett

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Kessel for OV.
My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. Whats really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?

#103 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

LOL. The number 1 bright spot on that team is gonna be traded? Righttttt.
Posted Image

#104 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

LOL. The number 1 bright spot on that team is gonna be traded? Righttttt.

He hasn't scored this year. He'll be a UFA in 2014 and it's looking like he won't be re-signed.

#105 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

0 goals last 12 games, 1 in last 17.

Had 2 helpers tonight though.

#106 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Cox does justice to his name. The guy is a panicky, thoughtless, rabble rouser that writes articles to generate twitter traffic, not because he has substance that deserves an article.

I don't believe a word of his speculation.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#107 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

This was on Canucks Army's Graphic Comments today, too funny not to post:

"The Worst Lead In Hockey"

Posted Image

Hahahahaha, that is the finniest ever.

MirandaKerr.jpg

#108 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

He hasn't scored this year. He'll be a UFA in 2014 and it's looking like he won't be re-signed.

Henrik Sedin hasn't scored either. Same with RNH. Trades? Kessel's a 30 goal scorer in the past 4 seasons.
Posted Image

#109 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

The guy had 82 points last season. He's off to a slow start and they already believe he shouldn't belong in Toronto? LOL LEAFS!

LOL, yeah those Leaf's fans/media are starting to sound like Canuck's fans/media.

#110 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

LOL, yeah those Leaf's fans/media are starting to sound like Canuck's fans/media.

Starting?

MirandaKerr.jpg

#111 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

Henrik Sedin hasn't scored either. Same with RNH. Trades? Kessel's a 30 goal scorer in the past 4 seasons.

Henrik isn't a goal scorer. RNH is 19. They're not comparable to Kessel.

#112 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Being 19 isn't a good excuse but I have always seen RNH in the mold of Henrik Sedin. He's the perfect set up man for Eberle, hall, and Yakupov.

#113 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Being 19 isn't a good excuse but I have always seen RNH in the mold of Henrik Sedin. He's the perfect set up man for Eberle, hall, and Yakupov.

It's relevant to whether a lack of production should be grounds for trading a player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.