The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

Over a few games, small differences in +/- don't mean much, but we are now nearly 40 games in, and that stat is meaning more and more each game. Of all of our defencemen, Garrison has by far the best +/-, Garrison is a +14, the next highest is Bieksa at +5. Edler, by the way is -3. So, if you are disappointed in Garrison I can't imagine how disappointed you are with the rest of them. He has been without a doubt our best D this year - helped out by the fact that Bieksa has been playing with a leg injury for the past dozen games.

Of course, the big problem with our D and goalies this year compared to previous years, is our lack of quality centres - until the arrival of Roy, we had one - Henrik, and that just won't do in the NHL. Centres provide the additional down-low coverage needed in today's NHL and they provide quick and safe outlets out of one's own zone - that was the great contribution of Roy in his first game - superb down-low coverage and quick, safe transitions.

Aside from the lack of PP production, which I don't think should be laid at just Garrison's feet, I have been so happy with Garrison's defensive game. He seems to make the right play almost every time, and he has great stick position.

On Team1260 here in Edmonton, Strudwick was pointing out that Garrison is the opposite hand to Salo, so he has to turn to get the one timer on the PP, which reduces the effectiveness of it, cause guys can recognize it and move in to the lane (if they dare).

But, yeah, I am loving Garrison's game, and I have been for quite some time.

Leads team defensemen in +/- and has formed a pretty good shutdown pairing with Hamhuis. Now if only he could develop a bit of a mean streak and start hitting guys more often and more harder...

This.

Garrison was brought in to fill Salo's skates. Now, what did Salo do for us? Well, he had a bomb of a shot and was quite solid defensively, not the fastest skater out there, but solid. The first how many games of the year Garrison was struggling, as were our entire D men. He isn't the fastest out there either, but I guarantee he is faster than Salo. His JaggarBomb from the point is getting more accurate and doing exactly what Salo's did, find the back of the net with apparent ease, I suspect it will be better than Salo as time goes on. One thing I notice about Garri is that he also isn't afraid to throw a good quick wrister on net, as we saw with his goal against Colorado. His +/- is great, he is super solid on D...

Overall I think Garrison has been our best D this year and his long term contract with a great cap hit just might very well turn out to be GMMG's best move yet.

Salo who? :towel: :towel:

Also, just when you see him get hurt at the end of a game a first thought is ruh roh, but he's still playing. Salo woulda been out fo sho;)

Garrisons bombs have also been breaking ankles out there, yikes, opposing players are learning the hard way, get in the way of one of his slappers and pay the price, its opened up more scoring chances and the Sedins are probably telling him keep the shots low and hard and we will take care of the rest, hahaha

They play Garrison on the 1st PP for 3 games. He starts hitting the net and scores a goal and like you said knocked 2 guys out with ankle shots. What happens in the Oilers game? It is back to Danny on the point and Garrison moved to the 2ndPP. Last night he is back on the 1st PP and Weise tips his shot. I don't get it.

I'm still not convinced myself. His play in his own end too often result in turn over. He passes to others who are under pressure, his work along the wall is not great. His shot ( when he decides to use it ) is great...assuming it's on net. He's still a job in progress

I'm still not convinced myself. His play in his own end too often result in turn over. He passes to others who are under pressure, his work along the wall is not great. His shot ( when he decides to use it ) is great...assuming it's on net. He's still a job in progress

I honestly have no complaints. If he turns it over, it's just when he's trying to move it up along the wall. His play on the players along the wall is great. I think Tanguay had the puck last night in the corner and Garrison was all over him, you could barely see Tanguay. He's improved so much. LOL @ the people who were crying in the beginning of this thread. Nowhere to be seen now.

Archived