Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Jane

[Waivers] Pens Claim Boychuk off waivers

27 posts in this topic

The Pittsburgh Penguins have claimed forward Zach Boychuk off waivers from the Carolina Hurricanes.

The 23-year-old Boychuk was the 14th pick in the 2008 NHL Draft, but was never able to find a regular place in the Carolina lineup. He played in the Hurricanes' season opener and hadn't seen action again since.

In 73 games over parts of five seasons, Boychuk posted seven goals, 18 points and a minus-4 rating. He was a 20-goal scorer each of the past two seasons for Carolina's American Hockey League affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers.

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said he expects to give Boychuk a chance to play on a line with Evgeni Malkin and James Neal.

"He's a guy who's a first-round pick," Bylsma said. "He's got speed to his game. He's got limited NHL experience, but he's going to add some competition in our lineup. He could see time on Malkin's line on that wing and see him in that position and adding speed and a little bit of grit to that line."

NHL.com

A little bit surprised that Carolina would give up on such a young player so quickly.

Wow, from being waived by the Canes to playing with one of the top two players in the league. Talk about a 180.

Pens trade pending UFA Jordan Staal for 8th Overall pick, NHL ready 11th Overall Brandon Sutter, 51st overall Brian Dumoulin and 14th overall Zach Boychuck

So 3 first rounders and a 2nd rounder for a player who wouldn't sign at any price. hahahahaha and PPL say Gillis is good.

Man, Bylsma is exactly what this guy needs. He's lucky to have fallen to such a good fit on the waiver wire.

Just an observation, there is misconception that when a player is placed on waivers, the team doesn't not want the player. That is not always the case. While waivers is used to get rid of unwanted players, it is there primarily to ensure the best players play in the NHL and stay in the NHL.

A little bit surprised that Carolina would give up on such a young player so quickly.

How did he make it all the way to the Pens?

That means ~20 teams passed on him, including bottom feeders in Tor, CLB, NYI. I'm really surprised CLB didn't try to get him, they could use some offense.

That means ~20 teams passed on him, including bottom feeders in Tor, CLB, NYI. I'm really surprised CLB didn't try to get him, they could use some offense.

The rich get richer. This kid will turn out really good with the Pens I bet. I can't believe the Canucks did not take a flyer on him......they should have had a selection ahead of PIT, right?

we had no chance of getting him.......1st in the conference......president trophy winner too

The rich get richer. This kid will turn out really good with the Pens I bet. I can't believe the Canucks did not take a flyer on him......they should have had a selection ahead of PIT, right?

hes one of those guys that is.

at the moment not good enough to play in a top 6 role....

not fast enough to play a bottom 3 role.....

not big enough to play a bottom 6 role....

not tough enough to play a bottom 6 role...

(at least Kassian can effectivlely play a bottom 6 role if he fails to become a top 6 player)

Zach Boychuk has average speed, but if your 5'10, and not good enough offensively, you will be on waivers very quickly. this is his last chance.

(at least Kassian can effectivlely play a bottom 6 role if he fails to become a top 6 player)

Zach Boychuk has average speed, but if your 5'10, and not good enough offensively, you will be on waivers very quickly. this is his last chance.

Good claim, but Boychuk with Malkin and Neal? I don't know about that...