The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Extension coming for #40?

406281dylan

Something like this would be fair, and I have no problem having Max on the team for 2 more years. He is a versatile player, but my only concern is his lack of chemistry with other players and lack of puck control in the O zone.

I really hope Lappy stays. I think people underestimate his worth. He's exactly the kind player people say we need, but then want to get rid of for some reason. He's a physical pest who can also chip in occasionally on the scoreboard and holds his own in the faceoff circle.

This season, he got 10 points (or, only 5 fewer than Higgins in just 7 more games and with less total ice time), had a face off win rate of 50.7% (behind only Manny and Kesler), and led the team by far in hits with 116. (Next most hits: Weise with 84 and then Elder with 77.)

Plus, he has a smirk that would make his own momma want to punch him out. For that alone we need to re-sign him!

I'll say one thing about Lapierre he's consistent, same effort game in game out. Coaches like players like that....dependable. I'd be comfortable with the guy, he can play wing if need be if Lain is better than or as good as management had hoped for.

I'd re-sign him. Even if we think Lain will take over on the 4th and Gaunce on the 3rd in the near future, Lapierre can be useful as a winger and depth at center as well. I'm really not sure why they'd let him go unless he was asking for to double his salary from last year and/or they really believe having a player like him will continue to cause problems with our perception around the league. Scratch the last part, I wouldn't even care if he was causing refs to go against us. Fix the refs, not Lappy (he's done a lot to change already, no need to do more to placate the league).

I think there is a spot on this team for him and with a new coach he would surely have a bit of a fresh start. I think he himself would rather move on at this point however. Under-rated player in Vancouver, you'd think he was a goaltender or something.

Don't know if Lappy would ask for an increase or not given the cap situation, but he made $1M this year (actual and cap hit).

Konopka has a year left on his contract. He'll get $1M next year with a cap hit of 0.925 M.

Even if we could trade for him though, he would not be a suitable replacement for Lappy.

This season:

Lappy - 10 points (including 1 GWG)

Konopka - 0 points

Lappy - 45 PIM (in 48 games)

Konopka - 117 PIM (in 37 games)

Konopka did have a better faceoff win % (60.7) but Lappy took more than double the number of faceoffs.

I guess we could let him walk for the sake of change, but really, who is a better option for 4th line centre?..

Any better free agents are either resigned or looking for 3C money.

I would lock him up for 3 or 4 years at a similar deal he's on today. Reason id be willing to give him the term is he will not be hard to move. Everyone needs centre depth at the deadline and a guy like Lapps would be a prime target.

Let him walk today when you can't even make a huge upgrade at 4th line centre or sign him and use him until someone succeeds him and a team throws a draft pick or prospect your way for him?

Archived