The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks kicking tires on Douglas Murray

DFergy

If the three choices are Murray, Fistric or Alberts, then each one has strengths and weaknesses. Their common strength is size. Murray's weakness is foot speed, Fistric is puck movement and Albert lacks a mean streak (like Edler, doesn't consistently make good use of his size). There is a reason why they are still available.

Assuming they are all a short term signing (e.g. one year) and they all come at around the same price, I would pick Murray. He has the experience and consistency to fill the needs of the Canucks. He has bounced around over the last few years so I suspect he his looking for a longer term on his contract.

I love that part of his game, don't get me wrong. I like how he's an intimidating presence too.

The fact remains that his foot speed has always been a problem, and it's appeared to get worse in the last couple years.

Against fast teams in the West, you've gotta have a mobile D. Maybe if he was paired with a faster D-man it would counter, but I'm not sure.

This definitely means Alberts is not coming back (looking for more a 5-6 role on an Eastern team)....although I don't like Murray (too slow and contributed to us making the SCF a couple years ago....)

Much rather have Fistric and his cap space whenever he goes on LTIR....plus with Booth look for the Canucks to bring in a winger on a PTO

If the Canucks end up signing Murray I will be very excited. I think that adds a new look to our dcore and it makes it certainly look more appealing on paper. Tanev will likely be re-signed before the season starts.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Murray - Tanev

Weber

I like the look of that. Murray could potentially thrive under Torts system and I already know that if he does play well, he will be a fan favorite next year.

This definitely means Alberts is not coming back (looking for more a 5-6 role on an Eastern team)....although I don't like Murray (too slow and contributed to us making the SCF a couple years ago....)

Much rather have Fistric and his cap space whenever he goes on LTIR....plus with Booth look for the Canucks to bring in a winger on a PTO

Archived