The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks kicking tires on Douglas Murray

DFergy

Jeez man. Murray's top 4 ranking has been gone for a few years now. SJ let him go and it doesn't look like Pitt is fighting to keep him. I didn't see any thundering hits during the SC playoffs last spring. I did see players skating around him pretty easily.

It would be nice to get a guy who will crank the opposition forwards in front of the net. I don't know if his speed will be that much of a problem on the 3rd pairing - esp. with Tanev backing him up.

Honestly he didn't look good in the playoffs though.

I think Alberts is slightly better in terms of speed and moving the puck but Murray brings extreme physicality and net clearing presence that the Canucks lack. Murray for 1.5 vs Alberts at 1 I'd take Murray I think. Alberts and Fistric are pretty close, I think Alberts is a little more solid but Fistric has more mean streak and potential to be better.

Murray would be good to sign as a number 5-6 defencemen but in all honesty, we need a puck moving defencemen. Murray would be good on the pk and I think is a type of player Torts would like.

If we get Murray and assuming we re-sign Tanev

Edler-Hamhuis

Garrison-Bieksa

Murray-Tanev

Too many players who are defensive minded and we do not have a true offensive defencemen.

We should then consider trading the rights to Tanev or Bieksa and acquire a player such as Goligoski on the Stars

I think that Bieksa+3rd would get it done.

Id take on Murray for the right price. He was on my UFA list beofre the crazy season started as a possible 6th d-man target. He is slow, but the other than him, the Canucks do have a fairly mobile defence. And given Torts and Stevens recent track record of managing the defence, he could be a nice piece for Tortorella to deploy into the right situations. He wont produce points or skate the puck out of the zone, but he will give the Canucks someone to clear the net and get nasty.

Last season was the first minus season of Murrays carreer. I do think that with the right training and diet, that he could get his weight down, and gain some mobillity back.

Kicking tires as in not really interested, or at an extreme lowball, but genuine interest? No thanks.

Can't skate. His hitting is also over-rated, because he, for the most part, is simply too slow to be the hitter he would be if he had the foot speed to get into position to hit people on a more consistent basis.

His underlying numbers tell the story as well - he was unimpressive as a Penguin in their playoff run (they really overpaid for him imo) - faced weak competition and had some of the worst underlying numbers on the Penguins.

Would prefer Fistric, Alberts, or even Hal Gill if he weren't a 35+ contract - and those guys probably won't be pricing themselves in the same range as Murray, who at 2.5 imo wasn't worth his cap hit. Crafty move by Doug Wilson to unload him, and get an overpayment in the process.

Archived