The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks kicking tires on Douglas Murray

DFergy

Kicking tires as in not really interested, or at an extreme lowball, but genuine interest? No thanks.

Can't skate. His hitting is also over-rated, because he, for the most part, is simply too slow to be the hitter he would be if he had the foot speed to get into position to hit people on a more consistent basis.

His underlying numbers tell the story as well - he was unimpressive as a Penguin in their playoff run (they really overpaid for him imo) - faced weak competition and had some of the worst underlying numbers on the Penguins.

Would prefer Fistric, Alberts, or even Hal Gill if he weren't a 35+ contract - and those guys probably won't be pricing themselves in the same range as Murray, who at 2.5 imo wasn't worth his cap hit. Crafty move by Doug Wilson to unload him, and get an overpayment in the process.

Murray would be good to sign as a number 5-6 defencemen but in all honesty, we need a puck moving defencemen. Murray would be good on the pk and I think is a type of player Torts would like.

If we get Murray and assuming we re-sign Tanev

Edler-Hamhuis

Garrison-Bieksa

Murray-Tanev

Too many players who are defensive minded and we do not have a true offensive defencemen.

We should then consider trading the rights to Tanev or Bieksa and acquire a player such as Goligoski on the Stars

I think that Bieksa+3rd would get it done.

It will be good to have him as the 5/6/7th guy who can be used depending on injuries and what team the Canucks are up against.

He would be a good fit going up against teams like Anaheim, Boston, Nashville, LA where they will either trap things down or try to goon you.

When you are up against the Blackhawks, Oilers or Red Wings, then you slot back in someone with better mobility or just limit his minutes.

As much as I dislike Murray, his consistent physical game could wear a team down in a long playoff series. As a #6/7 d-man and at a reasonable contract (1.5) he is well worth it, but I feel he'd work better swapping in and out with Tanev than replacing him (Tanev lacks the physical part, but is mobile and vice versa); they could even work as a bottom pairing if need be.

It all depends on the role you want to play him in, also the salary especially when you're trying to sign Tanev.

If Murray is a 3rd pairing dman, why not? you get the physical pressence on the back end which the team has been lacking for a considerable amount of time.

His Speed is an issue however if you pair him with someone who does have the speed, well it dosn't look like a bad signing.

All depends on the dollars IMO

As much as I dislike Murray, his consistent physical game could wear a team down in a long playoff series. As a #6/7 d-man and at a reasonable contract (1.5) he is well worth it, but I feel he'd work better swapping in and out with Tanev than replacing him (Tanev lacks the physical part, but is mobile and vice versa); they could even work as a bottom pairing if need be.

Archived