The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks kicking tires on Douglas Murray

DFergy

Kicking tires as in not really interested, or at an extreme lowball, but genuine interest? No thanks.

Can't skate. His hitting is also over-rated, because he, for the most part, is simply too slow to be the hitter he would be if he had the foot speed to get into position to hit people on a more consistent basis.

His underlying numbers tell the story as well - he was unimpressive as a Penguin in their playoff run (they really overpaid for him imo) - faced weak competition and had some of the worst underlying numbers on the Penguins.

Would prefer Fistric, Alberts, or even Hal Gill if he weren't a 35+ contract - and those guys probably won't be pricing themselves in the same range as Murray, who at 2.5 imo wasn't worth his cap hit. Crafty move by Doug Wilson to unload him, and get an overpayment in the process.

Exactly. It's all about the role he would play here.

He's not gonna be a top 4 anymore like he was on San Jose. Just a solid 6/7 D-man.

If it's down to him or Alberts for around the same price, I think I'd go with Murray.

Hamhuis Garrison (25 -30 minutes)

Edler Tanev (15-20 minutes)

Murray Bieksa (15 minutes)

Fistric Weber

Murray would be a big upgrade on alberts...lets take off the rose colored glasses. Alberts does nothing better then murray. Murray has potential to play as a 3rd or 4th dmen on some nights. He would be a solid 5 or 6 guy on nucks if he comes in at the right dollar price (i.e. 2M per year max).

That's true. And I think Torts is a smart enough coach to use him in situations he'll be successful in. It seemed like AV forced certain players into situations they wouldn't have success in, and set them up for failure.

I just look at the Hawks D-core and how mobile it is, and think that's more the style the Canucks need to play to be successful. Our transition game is what made this team so great in 10/11. And I'm not sure we have the personnel to play a tighter more physical style, even with Murray.

I guess time will tell. Maybe Murray could even end up finding his place with Hamhuis and have success, sort of the way he did with Boyle being the puck mover.

Archived