The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)Canucks’ Bo knows prospects tourney only the start of NHL journey

naslund.is.king

BY ELLIOTT PAP, VANCOUVER SUN SEPTEMBER 4, 2013

PENTICTON — Bo Horvat knows he can never be just Bo Horvat, first-round pick.

Bo — full name Bowie — knows he will always be Bo Horvat, first-round pick obtained for Cory Schneider. It’s the way it was on draft day and it’s the way it was Wednesday when the Canucks prospects skated together for the first time in preparation for their opening game Thursday at the Young Stars rookie tournament.

It’s also the way it will be forever.

“Oh, definitely, I know it’s always going to be there,” said Horvat. “It’s always going to be mentioned here and there. You try to forget about it, but it’s always going to be in the back of your mind, of course. I’ve been asked about it quite a few times. It’s the way it is, the way of the hockey world.”

Horvat isn’t a goalie, of course. He plays centre and one day he might be the Canucks’ No. 1 centre. He was drafted ninth overall in a very strong draft class. He was an elite prospect and was going to be a high pick no matter which team he joined. He just never figured, nor did anybody else, that he would go for Schneider.

“I look at it as a positive,” Horvat said. “They traded up to get me and that means they really wanted me, right? It means they really wanted me and that they have a lot of faith in me. Now I just have to prove to them that they made the right choice. It’s going to be motivating.”

Still 18, Horvat seems mature beyond his years. His media scrum Wednesday in Pentiction was large and only figures to become larger once he advances to main camp next camp. He handled it with ease. Hopefully for the Canucks, he will handle opposing defencemen in similar fashion.

There wasn’t a question that had him flustered.

“I have had lots of experience dealing with the media and lots of help along the way,” he said. “I hear it’s quite a whirlwind in Vancouver when everyone comes in there and everyone is kind of on top of you. But I know it’s part of the game and I’ve wanted this ever since I was a little kid. So, definitely, it’s going to be overwhelming. I’m going to have to deal with it and I’m kind of looking forward to it, actually.”

Horvat, who signed with the Canucks a month ago, will skate Thursday night against San Jose on a line with fellow 2013 first-rounder Hunter Shinkaruk. It will be his first outing as a pro. Horvat still has two years of junior eligibility remaining, however. If he does go back, he is guaranteed to play in the 2014 Memorial Cup with his London Knights serving as host team.

“Whatever happens happens,” said Horvat, 6-0 and 206 pounds. “You have the best of the best prospects here and everyone is fighting for a spot and trying to prove themselves. It’s really exciting and a little nerve-wracking, of course.”

There is really only one gaping hole on the Canucks roster this season and it happens to be at the third-line centre position, unless career fourth-liner Brad Richardson rises above his station to claim it. Otherwise, Horvat, fellow prospect Brendan Gaunce (a first-rounder at 26th overall in 2012) and free-agent signee Mike Santorelli will be competing for the spot.

Horvat understands a good showing in Penticton will be a baby step toward that goal.

“You try not to think about it too much but it’s always in the back of your mind,” he said.

Utica Comets coach Travis Green, who is running the prospects camp, knows a bit about Bo. He coached against him in last spring’s Memorial Cup, won by Halifax, and then kept a watchful on eye on him during Wednesday’s practice.

“I think everyone knows he’s a good, young player,” Green commented. “He brings a little bit of everything to the table. He’s strong on his skates and he’s a smart hockey player. You know you’re going to be able to rely on him to play at both ends of the rink. He’ll be a power-play guy and a penalty-kill guy. He’s still young but I see him being a real good NHLer down the road.”

epap@vancouversun.com

Twitter.com/elliottpap

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=8870395

Archived