The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Zalewski | C/LW

Joel Heyman

5 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

The Cracken has been doing a fine job at 4C. Let this kid simmer in the HAL and learn under green. I could see him being a decent bottom 6 if he develops properly, but he doesn't look like he could compete in the NHL yet.

Mike Z has been the Comets best two way forward this year and it's only his second pro season out of college.  He still has plenty of upside.  Not saying that Z needs to immediately be called up but since he is on an AHL contract the Canucks could lose him entirely if another NHL team comes in and signs him to a NHL deal.  Get him signed and let him continue to develop in the AHL.  The Canucks only have 45 contracts out of 50 being used and that includes a wasted contract on Blomstrand who is still in the ECHL on year 3 of his ELC.

47 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Mike Z has been the Comets best two way forward this year and it's only his second pro season out of college.  He still has plenty of upside.  Not saying that Z needs to immediately be called up but since he is on an AHL contract the Canucks could lose him entirely if another NHL team comes in and signs him to a NHL deal.  Get him signed and let him continue to develop in the AHL.  The Canucks only have 45 contracts out of 50 being used and that includes a wasted contract on Blomstrand who is still in the ECHL on year 3 of his ELC.

Would have to agree...JB/TL not signing Zalewski to an NHL contract even this past summer was bit of a head scratcher for me.  Zalewski is 22, has size, and what appeared to be the tools to be considered a bottom six prospect.  Isn't a player like this worth a two-way contract, even at the league minimum for 1-2 years, rather than an AHL contract? 

I get that a contract with the Comets is still a contract with the Canucks organization, but why would JB/TL want to risk exposing Zalewski to other NHL teams?  Anyways, Zalewski probably has agreed to give the Canucks the first right of refusal to match whatever offer he receives (maybe with a 10% premium for that first right of refusal?) so as not to burden the Canucks with a contract count against the 50 they are allowed.

And what is the story around Blomstrand?  The kid missed 2014 Canucks camp and I think he was asked to stay in Europe and join the Comets camp there this past September.  All I know is stat surfing on him -- he seems to be a big dude (fat, maybe?) at 6'1" 230 lbs., scores, but is terrible defensively is what I would surmise.  22 yo as well, so is there any hope for this kid?

And any word on how the Comets view Dane Fox?  He seems to be a guy who could help with the offence that seems lacking at times for the Comets?

And any progress report on Curtis Valk?

Thanks UticaHockey...you seem to have your finger on the pulse of the Comets and I have looked to you, Hobart, UticaComet, and others in the MV for first hand view.

9 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Would have to agree...JB/TL not signing Zalewski to an NHL contract even this past summer was bit of a head scratcher for me.  Zalewski is 22, has size, and what appeared to be the tools to be considered a bottom six prospect.  Isn't a player like this worth a two-way contract, even at the league minimum for 1-2 years, rather than an AHL contract? 

I get that a contract with the Comets is still a contract with the Canucks organization, but why would JB/TL want to risk exposing Zalewski to other NHL teams?  Anyways, Zalewski probably has agreed to give the Canucks the first right of refusal to match whatever offer he receives (maybe with a 10% premium for that first right of refusal?) so as not to burden the Canucks with a contract count against the 50 they are allowed.

And what is the story around Blomstrand?  The kid missed 2014 Canucks camp and I think he was asked to stay in Europe and join the Comets camp there this past September.  All I know is stat surfing on him -- he seems to be a big dude (fat, maybe?) at 6'1" 230 lbs., scores, but is terrible defensively is what I would surmise.  22 yo as well, so is there any hope for this kid?

And any word on how the Comets view Dane Fox?  He seems to be a guy who could help with the offence that seems lacking at times for the Comets?

And any progress report on Curtis Valk?

Thanks UticaHockey...you seem to have your finger on the pulse of the Comets and I have looked to you, Hobart, UticaComet, and others in the MV for first hand view.

I only personally watched Blomstrand play at the beginning and end of the Comets first season because hasn't dressed for the Comets since. My impression was that he looked like a lazy floater who played as soft as butter.  The exact opposite of what Green demands from his players.  If he was filling the net up with pucks maybe he could get away with that but he failed to register a single point.  I'm surprised that the Canucks haven't terminated his contract yet.

Fox has only played in a single game for Utica in his two seasons under a Canucks contract and it was a road game so I don't have the same personal experience of watching him play.  I would like to see Fox get 3 - 5 games to prove that he can play at this level.  He has a reputation as a scorer and someone who plays with grit so I wouldn't expect the same Blomstrand issues.

Valk messed his knee up pretty bad and still isn't cleared to play yet.  He was sent down to the Zoo and is expected to finally start playing in January.  The original estimate was November so the knee isn't progressing as quickly as hoped. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Is this possibly a move made to facilitate a trade of a forward off of the Canucks roster?

Canucks can trade someone from their roster with or without Zalewski being on an NHL contract.  This is all about locking up a prospect.  He may or may not ever make the NHL, but reports here (see UticaHockey's post of Dec that begins "Mike Z has been the Comets best two way forward this year") and from BadGoalie and UticaHockey (same UticaHockey?) on hfboards indicate Zalewski has progressed well and is worthy of being considered a prospect.

re-called, looks like were gonna see him possibly in Boston...

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed forward Mike Zalewski to a two-way deal for the 2015.16 season, replacing his AHL-only contract. Zalewski has subsequently been recalled from the AHL Utica Comets and will join the team in Boston.

Zalewski, 23, has appeared in 36 games for the AHL Utica Comets this season where he currently ranks tied for fifth on the team in scoring with 17 points (8-9-17). In 2014.15, Zalewski collected 12 points (3-9-12) and 18 penalty minutes in 55 games played with the Comets. He made his NHL debut on April 12, 2014 at Edmonton and registered his first NHL point (assist) the following night versus Calgary.

Prior to making his professional debut in 2014, the 6’2”, 205-pound forward spent two seasons with the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) Engineers. In 71 career NCAA games, Zalewski compiled 47 points (21-26-47) and 75 penalty minutes.

The New Hartford, New York, native was signed by Vancouver as a free agent on March 14, 2014.

Archived