The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Zalewski | C/LW

Joel Heyman

When i watched him like you I was pleasantlyy surprised, but, will he knock the top prospects out of the box I hope not....that wouldn't be good. But he is older/mature and as you say certainly didn't look out of place for his first games in the NHL. Gillis must be smiling

Why not? If he makes the team over their best prospects, wouldn't that mean he's doing something right?

The Canucks need as many good prospects as they can get their hands on. No point in discriminating.

We should re-hire Mike Gillis as our scout for collage.

What, like this?

draft_lens17279251module145724101photo_1

No, but it'd depend on how much he was involved in bringing those players in. He might have just been the guy making the final decision on the scouts recommendation, or he could have been the driving force in them being brought in.

• 2 months later...

Canucks put him on the waivers

"The waivers" eh?

I'll wait until I see a source for that claim.

EDIT: in fact I won't wait for his source, since I did a quick Twitter search and the only thing I found was this:

Comets Army@CometsArmy (7:42 AM - 1 Jul 2014)

Mike Zalewski signed to a 2 year, 2 way contact by the Canucks, meaning he'll most likely be in Utica next year #CometsArmy

He isn't even waiver eligible anyway, as he'd need to play for 2 more years or 78 more games to become waiver eligible.

"The waivers" eh?

I'll wait until I see a source for that claim.

EDIT: in fact I won't wait for his source, since I did a quick Twitter search and the only thing I found was this:

He isn't even waiver eligible anyway, as he'd need to play for 2 more years or 78 more games to become waiver eligible.

Sounds like The Internship where Vince Vaughn's character keeps referring to being "online" as being "on the line" haha

it reminds me more of this:

the undrafted mike zalewski passed through waivers and will report to the Iraq pending a physical. luckily his college education included all kinds of maps and globes; sources say he's 90% sure where the middle east is.

• 1 month later...

PROSPECT PROFILE: #19 MICHAEL ZALEWSKI

Zalewski spent last season playing at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Engineers of the NCAA's ECAC where he finished 2nd on the Engineers in assists and 4th in points and goals. He attended Winnipeg Jets training camp in the fall, and signed a contract with the Canucks on March 4th. Due largely to injuries, Zalewski actually made his NHL debut before his AHL one and, in a sample admittedly too small to make any sort of projection, performed very well.

In two games against the Flames and Oilers, Zalewski played roughly 12 minutes per game, carried a 55.9% Corsi while starting just 33% of his shifts in the offensive zone, and added one assist. His NHL performance doesn't tell us much (there were multiple games last year where Tom Sestito led the Canucks in Corsi% after all), but it's still a thing that happened to Zalewski and it happened in the NHL, so it's worth mentioning.

From SBNation:

SBNation's college hockey blog also ranked Zalewski as the 32nd best prospect in the NCAA last year, 11 spots behind another Canucks prospect Ben Hutton, and immediately ahead of former Calgary Flames 1st round draft pick Mark Jankowski. RPI Engineers blog Without A Peer' had this to say about Zalewski, via Nucks Misconduct:

Standing at 6'2, 205 lbs, Zalewski certainly possesses the physical tools to play a very meat-and-potatoes style of game. He's always carried relatively high PIMs totals, and while that's not necessarily a good thing, it may lend support to the argument that he has the disposition to play a grinding-type game too. Zalewski fancies himself as a power-forward type, and watching him skate alongside other Canucks prospects at development camp last month, his hockey skills appeared to be above average for the group. In short, while size is likely what got him noticed, it's far from the only thing he has going for him.
At the end of the day, while I really like everything I've seen and read about Zalewski, the biggest threat to a decent prospect making the NHL is that there are a ton of decent hockey players around. Competition is going to be fierce for a player of his abilities since there are a ton of guys looking to make the jump to the next level, and Zalewski won't just have to be good, he'll have to be better than a lot of guys with better pedigrees who Vancouver has already invested more in to. And at 22 years old, this will have to happen relatively soon. If Zalewski is like most guys, and we don't have reason to believe he isn't, he'll reach his peak ability in the next 2-4 years. If he's not knocking on the NHL door by then, well, that won't be good.

I just checked out his highlights vid. He has a really good skill set. He scored some real beauties - a nice top shelf slapper, a slick wraparound goal, an awesome deke move in a SO and an OT game winner where he picked up the rebound and put it in. I wonder where he will fit in though. We have such a big surplus of players vying for spots. I'd like to see him get a spot though. He intrigues me. He's got some nice offensive talent that could really help the team. It would be interesting to see what he could do with a good play maker like Vey,

Zalewski is the type of kid that you know Benning and WD want to get a handle on. He has a nice combo of skills which if they like can make some of the vets tradeable. He appears to have 3rd line skills. You have to know that as the management group assesses their players that decisions will be made come March trade deadline. A deep draft in 2015 will trigger many deals IMO. Not only the draft but a increased CAP will encourage more deals.

• 1 month later...

Archived