The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Zalewski | C/LW

Joel Heyman

11 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

To think Mike was unsigned for awhile, signed a one way deal a few months ago, got his two way deal today, and tomorrow might be passing the puck to future hall of famer Daniel Sedin.  I'll root for him instead of the Drouins of the world, win lose or draw.  http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/01/20/breaking-bolts-suspend-drouin-after-failing-to-report-for-ahl-game/?utm_network=facebook&utm_post=4967076&utm_source=FB%20-%20NBC%20Sports&utm_tags=srm%5Bhockey%5D

Darn rights!  Another reason Bur will always be a favourite.  Amazing stories and very inspiring.

53 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

Fantastic on the forecheck, his best attribute maybe.  The best on the Comets.  

Along the boards he is a presence, much improved, but not quite heavy enough for the NHL I don't think to be an above average board guy, we shall see.  He has done very well at AHL level this year, and he will hit and get his share of pucks, but he is lean and the 209 listing is generous I think.  So his hits are not devastating and he can get pushed.  

You just described Jannik Hansen. He's carved out a pretty good career in the NHL. I'd love to see Zalewski as Hansen's centerman. Speed and energy for days and they can play anywhere in the lineup. The ultimate utility player. Players that aren't quite heavy enough are Hamilton, Bancks and  Friesen. All 3 of those guys have the speed and the motor to compete at the pro level, but they just won't get a look due to their size. Another comparable is Santorelli and I was hoping that we found a way to bring him back here this year. Getting Santo for free would be a steal.       

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

What about coaching and management decisions, especially the most recent ones, gives you any kind of certainty about the lineup in the future. This is the year of the audition and I believe that he has earned a tryout based on his play. I don't know if you noticed, but the Canucks have been terrible for the last few games and are getting results in spite of their play. Will taking 19 year old Jared McCann from a game in January in Boston, result in a catastrophic failure in the locker room? I think that they should give the kid a shot. I'm basing that on the 20 or so Comets games that I've watched this year, in which he looks like the most complete player on the team. If you're basing your opinions on the player that you saw play 2 games for the Canucks on the 4th line in 2014, you're looking at a different player. 

WD mentioned that Pedan wasn't a practice player. He was surprised when he saw him in a game, because he was a different player in practice. I believe that Z is going to be able to impress enough to get a spot on the ice tomorrow and I hope I'm right.

Just my opinion. This management and coaching team definitely keeps ya guessing.

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

2 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Fantastic on the forecheck, his best attribute maybe.  The best on the Comets.  

Along the boards he is a presence, much improved, but not quite heavy enough for the NHL I don't think to be an above average board guy, we shall see.  He has done very well at AHL level this year, and he will hit and get his share of pucks, but he is lean and the 209 listing is generous I think.  So his hits are not devastating and he can get pushed.  

2 hours ago, hobart16 said:

To think Mike was unsigned for awhile, signed a one way deal a few months ago, got his two way deal today, and tomorrow might be passing the puck to future hall of famer Daniel Sedin.  I'll root for him instead of the Drouins of the world, win lose or draw.  http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/01/20/breaking-bolts-suspend-drouin-after-failing-to-report-for-ahl-game/?utm_network=facebook&utm_post=4967076&utm_source=FB%20-%20NBC%20Sports&utm_tags=srm%5Bhockey%5D

Once again, one of the things about CDC that is really good is the input from the guys watching the Comets. We get a lot more from them than we could find in the media. The information in the posts shown above is very helpful and very interesting.

And I am sure we all appreciate the comparison of Z. and Drouin, who certainly is not improving his trade value by refusing to play in the AHL. 

When the Drouin trade request came up I heard some commentary indicating that if the Canucks were to get in the mix it would have to something like Horvat for Drouin. But now that seems kind of laughable. Yes, Drouin was fantastic in Junior, was a high draft pick (3rd overall in 2013 I think) and does have a lot of skill. But on the "intangibles" and "character" issues he is not looking so good. And, while he might develop into a Patrick Kane, it is possible (and more likelyl) that, as a relatively small soft player, he has a hard time with the physicality of the NHL game.

Just now, canuckledraggin said:

I don't see why it wouldn't. If you've watched any AHL Live broadcasts, most of the announcers make Denis Potvin seem impartial. He does a great job with the broadcast and the team would rather have him so why not?

Interesting. Really diversifying his portfolio.. if he can't make it to the bigs in management maybe he can be a broadcaster!

14 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

You just described Jannik Hansen. He's carved out a pretty good career in the NHL. I'd love to see Zalewski as Hansen's centerman. Speed and energy for days and they can play anywhere in the lineup. The ultimate utility player. Players that aren't quite heavy enough are Hamilton, Bancks and  Friesen. All 3 of those guys have the speed and the motor to compete at the pro level, but they just won't get a look due to their size. Another comparable is Santorelli and I was hoping that we found a way to bring him back here this year. Getting Santo for free would be a steal.       

In before Alf asks if he's a face-puncher...

13 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I don't see why it wouldn't. If you've watched any AHL Live broadcasts, most of the announcers make Denis Potvin seem impartial. He does a great job with the broadcast and the team would rather have him so why not?

since when has brendan burke been on the Comets management team?  i must have missed that one.

21 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I like how Benning throws so many guys a bone, brings them up for a little while, they have a few practices at least, meet the guys and feel like they're part of something rather than off in Siberia with no hope of advancement. 

More than likely he won't play but this does wonders for his morale.

I couldn't agree more. I really like the way that the Canucks Organization develops players now. A breath of fresh air from how they used to develop young talent. Owning their own AHL affiliate in the Utica Comets is also a huge advantage.

Linden/Benning/Desjardins/Conacher/Green all seem to be on the same page from a player development standpoint. 

22 hours ago, J.R. said:

Gotta be if Burr can't go. 

Just getting back and haven't checked what's happening, but that would be a valid reason for him to get in above and beyond Virtanen in for Prust. He's not going to come in as the 1st line center to take McCann out when we're short on centers.

21 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

What about coaching and management decisions, especially the most recent ones, gives you any kind of certainty about the lineup in the future. This is the year of the audition and I believe that he has earned a tryout based on his play. I don't know if you noticed, but the Canucks have been terrible for the last few games and are getting results in spite of their play. Will taking 19 year old Jared McCann from a game in January in Boston, result in a catastrophic failure in the locker room? I think that they should give the kid a shot. I'm basing that on the 20 or so Comets games that I've watched this year, in which he looks like the most complete player on the team. If you're basing your opinions on the player that you saw play 2 games for the Canucks on the 4th line in 2014, you're looking at a different player. 

WD mentioned that Pedan wasn't a practice player. He was surprised when he saw him in a game, because he was a different player in practice. I believe that Z is going to be able to impress enough to get a spot on the ice tomorrow and I hope I'm right.

Just my opinion. This management and coaching team definitely keeps ya guessing.

If we have anyone else out (like Burrows as suggested above) then totally, Zalewski can draw in. They want a look at him so he's getting it tonight. But, with lack of top 6 centers, they aren't going to sit McCann for any games until at least one of Sutter or Sedin is back so Zalewski will be drawing in on the 4th line.

And of course Cracknell's out now that I'm catching up.

1 minute ago, Mr. Puckluck said:

Really liking how far Mike Z has come. Looks to be a potential 4th line Hanson/Higgins type of player. One game is not much of a sample, but he does look good tonight.

He's a far better skater than Cracker, that's for sure. 

Stoked for him tonight. He proved that he can play in the big leagues. I was a bit concerned in the 1st when he looked like a deer in the headlights and his shifts were ridiculously short, but he really seemed to start playing his game in the latter half of the game and their line was on twice in the last 5 minutes of the game. 

I would still like to see Hansen and Dorsett on Zalewski's wing as a 4th line. Give Virtanen a promotion and go with the youngins down the stretch.

Biega was a revelation to management I think. There are plenty of players in the minors that are able to step up and become NHL'ers. We have seen the cream of the crop from Utica rise to the top and it will take a huge contribution from the minors to build this team. Shinkaruk and Gaunce are next, but Zalewski definitely earned that spot and he may well just have stolen it from Cracknell.

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Stoked for him tonight. He proved that he can play in the big leagues. I was a bit concerned in the 1st when he looked like a deer in the headlights and his shifts were ridiculously short, but he really seemed to start playing his game in the latter half of the game and their line was on twice in the last 5 minutes of the game. 

I would still like to see Hansen and Dorsett on Zalewski's wing as a 4th line. Give Virtanen a promotion and go with the youngins down the stretch.

Biega was a revelation to management I think. There are plenty of players in the minors that are able to step up and become NHL'ers. We have seen the cream of the crop from Utica rise to the top and it will take a huge contribution from the minors to build this team. Shinkaruk and Gaunce are next, but Zalewski definitely earned that spot and he may well just have stolen it from Cracknell.

didn't see the game tonight. but did Zalewski really play a good game tonight that Cracknell would lose his spot to him? 

Archived