The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you move Schroeder?

Ugli Fruit

His problem is that he doesn't have infinite time to prove he belongs. Injuries or not, he needs to start showing he belongs or other prospects will surpass him and there simply will not be room for him. Then what does the team do with him?

His NHL career is precarious.

I don't disagree but if we send him down, he'd get claimed. How do you propose that works with us retaining him?

I wouldnt say that his NHL career is precarious in general...It could be with the Canucks though..Mainly through lousy injury luck..Theres no doubt he's skilled (anybody see that thread pass to Bieksa last night)..Hes pretty much in the same situation that Grabner was when he was here.

I wouldnt say that his NHL career is precarious in general...It could be with the Canucks though..Mainly through lousy injury luck..Theres no doubt he's skilled (anybody see that thread pass to Bieksa last night)..Hes pretty much in the same situation that Grabner was when he was here.

No, Grabner's problem was (and likely still is) that he's lazy. Schroeder's mostly been unlucky (hurt) and small.

I feel bad because Schroeder sort of seems out of place. When he was drafted I think management thought they were getting a top six forward. Now he's turned into more of a bottom six guy.

With Santorelli presumably getting re-signed, Richardson still signed, Matthias, Kesler, Henrik and possibly Gaunce next season, I find it hard to see him staying around.

Yet it takes some guys no time at all. Schroeder needs to step his game up. I'm no talent scout but i've personally seen enough of him that if I never saw in the lineup again I wouldn't be upset.

True, but I wonder if due to his inherent lack of size injuries affect him a bit more. Meaning he needs his peak strength/speed to be effective? I agree he has been disappointing at times. To me he doesn't seem very dynamic offensively, although he plays very safe, maybe how he is coached? His defensive positioning seems great. He must have some offensive mouse however given his wjc performances.

True, but I wonder if due to his inherent lack of size injuries affect him a bit more. Meaning he needs his peak strength/speed to be effective? I agree he has been disappointing at times. To me he doesn't seem very dynamic offensively, although he plays very safe, maybe how he is coached? His defensive positioning seems great. He must have some offensive mouse however given his wjc performances.

Like I said above, he's not faster than the guys he's playing against nor is he gifted with insane skill. He's going to have to work harder than everyone else, especially on his skating and being quicker with the puck or he's going to have a short career.

He can pass though, and that's something we don't have much of. Rather keep him over Tostitos or Richardson.

A lot of things to like about Schroeder.

First of all, I like the fact he took a $600k deal this year, significantly lower than a near million qualifying offer would have been and he did so in the context of a cap drop, helping his GM have a bit of extra cap space to sign a guy like Santorelli, who also happened to be competition for Schroeder. Solid team move that said he was willing to work hard and compete for minutes and accept that he hadn't been able to command more. Why? Because he had a couple serious shoulder injuries that cut the end of his season short last year (and pretty much forced MG's hand to add a guy like Roy).

Over a two year span, then, he's had four injuries, and played 50 games, scoring 15 points (a 25 pt pace - not exactly bad for a bit more than half a rookie season spread out between a rash of bad luck injuries).

He's shown that he has solid two way hockey sense, we've seen flashes of the brilliant playmaking that made him the USA's all time leading scorer at the WJC - and third all time in assists of all players from any nation. He is stronger than his size would suggest, he has that undersized strength on the boards that is comparable to a guy like Santorelli, he is exceptionally mobile (even if not yet that obvious), and he has an intangible drive/enthusiasm that will serve the team well imo.

I for one would be willing to give him some more time.

You sure have a way with patronizing Surfer.

First of all, yes, Schroeder has played primarily fourth line minutes, with scant opportunities on a team presently lacking depth. That is the context in which his production has come. Second, he has 6 points in 20 games - again, in that context - which is actually a 25 pt pace/82 games. He also has the 5th best relative and corsi on underlying numbers on the team.

Third and perhaps most importantly, he had repeated shoulder injuries to end last season, offseason surgery, and then returned to two ankle fractures/breaks, from which he's recovered to play marginal minutes, his 20 games spread out over a couple of recovery periods.

So patronize the young man with your acontextual and somewhat arrogant "fear of God, career flashing before his eyes, unwilling to assert himself" story - but the reality remains that you have entirely whiffed on the actual context of his opportunities. I heard virtually endless parallel comments made about Jensen through the better part of this season. Premature and vacant assumptions from afar that he was failing to live up to expectations/his potential.

You can look down at Schroeder from your high horse for the time being, but don't be surprised if you eat your words. What was your word on Jensen? What was your word on the Richardson and Santorelli signings?

Schroeder didn't set all time WJC records for the US National Team being a mindless (pardon the irony) surfer unwilling to assert himself. You've seen perhaps 20 games of 3rd, 4th line minutes. Perhaps you're not ready to write the story.

Schroeder had chances to play 2C and 3C over the last 2 years and has, for whatever and many reasons including some legit ones, not grabbed it. He's been outplayed by Richardson this year. Thats my fault and I'm a bad fan because of it? Someone should give something a shake.

Schroeder is fairly evaluated at a tipping point. Higgins, Malhotra etc have all seen that hand, and decided to be NHL players when they were faced with that challenge.

Look, last 4 games or so he's played with Booth and Kassian. You know who handles the puck 80% of the time? Kassian and Booth. WTF? Thats not what you expect from your number one draft pick who has lightning speed and (in theory) dominating puck possession skills. When Schroeder gets the puck he quickly makes a safe pass or chips it up ice. And he only occasionally uses his speed and dexterity to cut and change the angle of the play, with or without the puck. Just sits high in a safe position.

In the same 4 games I see Mathias, now another thief of his potential ice time, grabbing the puck and leading rushes up ice. Cutting to the net, making plays.

Schroeder has just got to break out of being too conservative and do the same instead of always making safe plays.

You are more than welcome to laugh at me if I cheer when he does. I just call em as I see them!

Schroeder had chances to play 2C and 3C over the last 2 years and has, for whatever and many reasons including some legit ones, not grabbed it. He's been outplayed by Richardson this year. Thats my fault and I'm a bad fan because of it? Someone should give something a shake.

Schroeder is fairly evaluated at a tipping point. Higgins, Malhotra etc have all seen that hand, and decided to be NHL players when they were faced with that challenge.

Look, last 4 games or so he's played with Booth and Kassian. You know who handles the puck 80% of the time? Kassian and Booth. WTF? Thats not what you expect from your number one draft pick who has lightning speed and (in theory) dominating puck possession skills. When Schroeder gets the puck he quickly makes a safe pass or chips it up ice. And he only occasionally uses his speed and dexterity to cut and change the angle of the play, with or without the puck. Just sits high in a safe position.

In the same 4 games I see Mathias, now another thief of his potential ice time, grabbing the puck and leading rushes up ice. Cutting to the net, making plays.

Schroeder has just got to break out of being too conservative and do the same instead of always making safe plays.

You are more than welcome to laugh at me if I cheer when he does. I just call em as I see them!

I wonder how much of this is Torts' fault. Up till last year this team used to rush the puck quite a bit. Now the objective seems to be dump the puck in and get the defenders to turn around and pressure them asap. Everyone seems to be doing it.

Matthias is still rushing the puck perhaps because he is still new and not used to "the system"? Hank started dumping in the puck early in the season - when you have daniel and hank trying to beat defenders to the corner you know that you are in trouble.

If we could package Schroeder up with other assets for a bigger body I would do it. He is too small to be much more than a stick checker. Has the speed to have his moments but needs other players to get the puck for him... Ya yA Marty St. Louis is a good player... Wow that magically makes all small players good?

Your mind works in some odd ways Surfer. Adding some other guys to your patronizing list doesn't lend much to your perspective. Your narrative is still a fail in spite of whom you attempt to transcribe it over. Selecting Higgins and Malhotra is just arrogant - simply pulling dung out of your butt - Higgins has been a very consistent 40 point range player throughout his career, one that brings a very high level of energy and consistency night in night out, year in year out. Malhotra transformed himself into an elite shutdown center - neither are very good Schroeder analogies, and in both cases, I find your attempt to pretend that they 'decided' one day to be 'NHL' players assinine.

Richardson and Schroeder are, likewise absolutely different types of players. They've hardly played a game this season that has overlapped each other, and regardless, your point about Richardson outplaying Schroeder is straight out of left field. It's like stating that Santorelli has outplayed Stanton. It's a bizarre non-starter without a real point.

You sound like you have some transcendental ego issues, going on about Schroeder's season being your fault - and no, Surfer, you're not a "bad fan", you're just challenged where keeping situations in context is concerned.

Your mind works in some odd ways Surfer. Adding some other guys to your patronizing list doesn't lend much to your perspective. Your narrative is still a fail in spite of whom you attempt to transcribe it over. Selecting Higgins and Malhotra is just arrogant - simply pulling dung out of your butt - Higgins has been a very consistent 40 point range player throughout his career, one that brings a very high level of energy and consistency night in night out, year in year out. Malhotra transformed himself into an elite shutdown center - neither are very good Schroeder analogies, and in both cases, I find your attempt to pretend that they 'decided' one day to be 'NHL' players assinine.

Richardson and Schroeder are, likewise absolutely different types of players. They've hardly played a game this season that has overlapped each other, and regardless, your point about Richardson outplaying Schroeder is straight out of left field. It's like stating that Santorelli has outplayed Stanton. It's a bizarre non-starter without a real point.

You sound like you have some transcendental ego issues, going on about Schroeder's season being your fault - and no, Surfer, you're not a "bad fan", you're just challenged where keeping situations in context is concerned.

Yeah agreed we should keep him as a 4th line center

Schroeder would fetch a 2nd at most. He has little value right now.

lol, a 2nd rounder is pretty valuable you know.

Schroeder won't fetch us anything reasonable. We might as well keep him since we always seem to be short on centres anyways.

But long term... I don't see him being on this team. If there was an opportunity to trade him for decent return, I think it would be done. If not, keeping him to eat up a few bottom 6 minutes is fine. He's essentially just a "fill-in" player now. I can foresee that in 3 years we end up losing him for nothing, which is perfectly fine with me.

J.S gets cut zero slack because of his size.

It's odd to hear everyone gushing over Matthias' mediocre play, like he's the second coming of Lindros, while J.S's best work goes largely unnoticed.

I've seen him make real skill plays this year, so I know he has it in him. I just feel like the organization can't wait to shoo him out the door this summer.

If Gillis and Torts got behind him for the rest of the year and really put him in a position to succeed (With Kassian, playing second line minuets, maybe with Matthias on the wing as the lines' defensive conscience) I think we might start to see that Cliff Ronning type player we were all hoping for.

I see him get pushed away from the play with ease.

He sucks.

I think the decision next year for the Nucks will be hard. They now have a strong group up the middle if Horvat can make the jump

Henrik

Kesler

Santo (assume he'll be resigned and lucky for nucks he will come cheap bc of the injury)

Richardson

Horvat

Schroeder

Mattias

I think the best lines if all work out will be

Burr / Henrik / Jensen

Daniel / Horvat / Kesler

Matthias / Santo/Schroeder / Kassian

Higgins / Richardson / Hansen

Therefore the challenge will be Santo or Schroeder. I don't know if Schroeder in the minors will help him so they will have a very important decision to make.

I don't think Santo is really a 2c so not sure what happens if Horvat isn't ready....best outcome for the nucks is that Horvat is ready but if not, problem becomes 2w - the issue we've always had..

Higgins has been our most consistent forward all season, and now he is on the 4th line?

You mean as in this year and last year. The kid has played a grand total of 51 games so far in total. And those games have been broken up with injuries, and rotating linemates. He is a great passer, has excellent vision, has a great shot (which he doesnt use enough..see his 14% shot), great wheels, moves well without the puck, and create space with great handles.

He just needs some time to put it all together on a regular basis. I hope he gets his opportunity. Will it be with this team? That seems unlikely at this point, but if the Canucks want to get anything for him, they had better keep playing him.

I think he has the talent to have a great career, I hope it isnt wasted because there isnt room for him.

Archived