The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I am a white sox fan but I am really hoping for them to win

I really want to see the Cubbies win it all. I called them in March winning it, they just had that feel to them.

Edited by Xbox

26 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

As much as I want the Cubs to win the World Series, I'd prefer the Tribe win it all. As what has been said before, if you lose to a team, lose to the eventual winners.

I disagree, let them suff. Also I'm sick of coming in 2nd to another team. Go Cubs

19 hours ago, Squamfan said:

what about reddick

Reddick is a definite possibility. He fills the hole in right field and is a left handed bat with decent power.

I too am pulling for the Cubbies, but I'm betting on the Tribe. These are the Cubs we're talking about. They're the MLB version of the Canucks. At the start of the playoffs I predicted that they'll find a way to lose and I'm sticking to it.

Cleveland in 6.  

On 10/19/2016 at 9:52 PM, ShakyWalton said:

I wonder if they had kept Revere would it have helped..solid leadoff guy who hits for average and can steal...they wouldnt have to have traded for Upton which I thought was dumb anyway....hindsight is 50-50 I guess.

Losing Revere hurt BIG time, and of course at the time it was either him or Saunders. The trade for Upton was useless, he wasn't even utilized in his proper position as lead off once, so never got to see if he was a good lead off. 

• Upvote 1

At the very least, sluggers Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion are expected to receive qualifying offers from the Blue Jays.

Whether they'll be back in Toronto still remains as uncertain as it did when the club was eliminated from the playoffs last week.

The first step for the front office is finalizing an off-season plan that will be taken to the team owners, general manager Ross Atkins said Monday during a season-ending media availability.

From there, they'll have a better idea on payroll flexibility and can really focus on addressing roster needs for the 2017 season.

"What I can tell you is that we're trying to win and we're going to continue to try to win," Atkins said. "I think that's what drives us, that's what motivates us and that's what we're looking to do in any way possible.

"I can't see a scenario where that changes, really."

Extending a qualifying offer — worth US$17.2 million — ensures that the Blue Jays would receive compensation if a player signs with another team as a free agent.

The five-day window opens the day after the World Series ends. After that, a player has a week to accept the offer to come back for another year or explore free agency.

"What I can tell you is what we're planning for is a couple of different alternatives," Atkins said. "I feel confident in saying that we'll have enough information to work towards something with both individuals."

The GM did not want to get too deep into specifics, but did say both Encarnacion and Bautista will "be priorities."

The Blue Jays had an active team payroll of about $137 million this season.

With several heavy salaries already on the books for next year, a payroll increase would essentially be required to bring back either Bautista or Encarnacion and fill out the rest of the roster with quality players.

"Everything has an opportunity cost and we'll have to weigh that if we're facing the decision to have both of them back and what that would mean," Atkins said. "Ultimately those guys have had very good careers, have always hit right-handed and left-handed pitchers, have been a huge part of this organization's success, especially in the last couple of years.

"So we'll have to weigh that against our alternatives and what the opportunity cost would be."

A weaker crop of free agents could drive up the price even more.

Encarnacion is coming off a team option of $10 million — a huge bargain for the Blue Jays — while Bautista is coming off a $14-million option year.

Encarnacion, who turns 34 in January, is expected to really cash in. The first baseman/designated hitter belted 42 homers — the fifth straight year he has cleared the 30-homer mark — and drove in 127 runs.

Bautista's numbers were down (22 homers, 69 RBIs) in an injury-plagued campaign. He just turned 36 and his arm and defensive range aren't what they used to be.

Both players have become so-called faces of the franchise in recent years and both played big roles in helping the Blue Jays end their 22-year playoff drought in 2015.

The Cleveland Indians eliminated Toronto from the playoffs last week. The Blue Jays also reached the ALCS last year before falling to the Kansas City Royals.

Encarnacion and Bautista have both expressed how much they have enjoyed playing in Toronto. Whether the Blue Jays are keen to meet their contract demands is the great unknown.

Atkins also said the team is still working through a decision on whether to extend a qualifying offer to Canadian outfielder Michael Saunders. He had a strong first half but tailed off in the second half of the season.

Other prominent Blue Jays who could become free agents are relievers Brett Cecil and Joaquin Benoit. Atkins said the team will likely exercise the option on reliever Jason Grilli's contract and added it's possible reliever Joe Biagini could become a starter next season.

On 10/19/2016 at 11:50 PM, Pears said:

I agree with everything but the starting pitching. They were tops in the AL in ERA for a reason, so I wouldn't want to mess with that, unless there's a clear upgrade available. 

I'd really like to see Shapiro/Rogers be aggressive this winter, as there's still some holes in this line up, even if we manage to keep Edwin. For a lead off guy, if we want to go big someone like Cespedes would be perfect, but if we can't afford him/he isn't interested in coming to Toronto, Fowler would be the next best guy. Also if we have an opportunity to get Votto, and the price isn't too too much, I'd say go for it. 

The bullpen, as good as it was down the stretch, still needs improvement. We'll probably end up losing one of Benoit and Grilli, and we have, have to let go of Loup/Tepera. They blew too many games and were a reason we lost the division lead. There's a few decent guys out there like Hochevar and Logan, but if we really want to improve it, go for Chapman or Jansen. 

We're still gonna be good next year, but there will definetly be some changes. 

Sanchez is an ace confident in him.

Estrada I was skeptical this year, wasn't sure if he'd be as good as the the year before, he proved he's legit.

Happ the guy has turned it around for sure, happy to have him as Prices replacement.

Now here's where I would want another ace as well, having that pitcher depth is huge. I'm still 50/50 on Lariano, don't know if he can keep a full season up strong. 

Having Benoit and Grilli is what they need to keep for sure. Agree on Loup/Tepera, would also add Cecil to the list done with him. I was all for Chapman at the trade deadline and said they needed that dominant lefty, for the playoffs.

35 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Sanchez is an ace confident in him.

Estrada I was skeptical this year, wasn't sure if he'd be as good as the the year before, he proved he's legit.

Happ the guy has turned it around for sure, happy to have him as Prices replacement.

Now here's where I would want another ace as well, having that pitcher depth is huge. I'm still 50/50 on Lariano, don't know if he can keep a full season up strong. 

Having Benoit and Grilli is what they need to keep for sure. Agree on Loup/Tepera, would also add Cecil to the list done with him. I was all for Chapman at the trade deadline and said they needed that dominant lefty, for the playoffs.

Yea depending on what we do with the outfield, I'd be happy with going all out for Chapman. A Chapman-Osuna combo would be deadly. 

16 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Losing Revere hurt BIG time, and of course at the time it was either him or Saunders. The trade for Upton was useless, he wasn't even utilized in his proper position as lead off once, so never got to see if he was a good lead off. 

I disagree that leadoff was Upton's "proper" position. His OBP was .261, less than everyone else that led off for the Jays this season. (Including Kevin Pillar) Bossman also struck out in one out of every three at bats as a Jay.

Those are not lead off numbers.

15 hours ago, Pears said:

Yea depending on what we do with the outfield, I'd be happy with going all out for Chapman. A Chapman-Osuna combo would be deadly. 

Chapman is going to command huge money and the Jays are already set at closer. I'd prefer to use that money to shore up the rest of the pen and maybe add a left handed bat to the lineup.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Quote from Edwin, the last part is most important, his agent is controlling his decision, so chances are he won't be back next year.

“I was never thinking about my free agency (during the season),”Encarnacion said. “I always was thinking about winning – winning games, help this team to win games, that’s all I was thinking all year long and at the end of the year, I put up the numbers I needed to be a free agent. Now we’ll see what’s going to happen. I’d love to stay here but it’s not my decision, I’ve got to wait and see what’s going to happen.”

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I disagree that leadoff was Upton's "proper" position. His OBP was .261, less than everyone else that led off for the Jays this season. (Including Kevin Pillar) Bossman also struck out in one out of every three at bats as a Jay.

Those are not lead off numbers.

Chapman is going to command huge money and the Jays are already set at closer. I'd prefer to use that money to shore up the rest of the pen and maybe add a left handed bat to the lineup.

Do you remember when Revere joined the Jays last year, he wasn't batting lead off and his numbers were brutal, he was batting in the 7th and 8th holes same as Upton. Difference is Gibbons finally budged and put Revere lead off and removed Tulo which was a disaster, anyways Revere was able to excel at lead off because that is his position. Point here is Upton was never given that opportunity so we never got to see, being a lead off and being a 7th or 8th batter are complete different approaches. Both Revere and Upton failed at being a 7th and 8th batter, but only one of them was given the opportunity to be in their position. Really believe Upton's numbers would of been different if he was put in his lead off position, because he knows the approach of being a lead off, we just never got to see it unfortunately.

When you randomly run into Ross Atkins and Mark Shapiro in the streets and get a selfie with them. Talked for a good 5 minutes! Our team is in excellent hands everyone :) They are really cool dudes!

- Sorry for blurring my face.. Not doing a face reveal lol

jaysselfie.png

Edited by Xbox
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Xbox said:

When you randomly run into Ross Atkins and Mark Shapiro in the streets and get a selfie with them. Talked for a good 5 minutes! Our team is in excellent hands everyone :) They are really cool dudes!

- Sorry for blurring my face.. Not doing a face reveal lol

jaysselfie.png

cool..im starting to swing around a little on these guys..the off season will tell the tale.